Notices

Day 4 - when does it get easier?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 - when does it get easier?

I am shocked I made it for 3 days without drinking and I need to make a 4 th day. Keeping myself very busy does help. But I worry about it and if I can keep going. I've had scary dreams at night. Not drinking related but definitely dreams about terrible things happening. Is this normal too?

I don't want to go back to my life of drinking every night. But I am afraid not to if that makes any sense.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You are still in physical withdrawal so you're bound to feel crappy. I found that I was feeling better at about 2 or 3 weeks sober.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome chowchow

I saw you posted on needsumsupport's thread. Anna added a link for recovery suggestions. I hope you have a look at that.

Early days are not easy but, believe me, it will be so worth it!

Stick around this site, the gold to be mined here is endless

Read and post, post and read, you will get lots of support.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For myself, it gots easier as time went by. My second week was somewhat better but my third was much better, both physically and mentally I’m still learning truths about myself, or rather facing them. It’s painful and necessary but things are indeed much better in many ways.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had HORRIBLE nightmares when I quit. I think it's pretty common. They will calm down.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get nightmares sometimes too. I actually like it. When I pass out drunk, I don't dream at all so I welcome them.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It gets easier and better with each passing sober day. It may not feel like it the first week or so,but give it some time. Be careful of when you do feel better and think it's ok to have a 'couple', we all know where that leads.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's scary at first because you know no other life. That's normal. What I did wS break the day down into smaller increments. So for me it was get past 6 o'clock. Make sure I eat a good dinner at 5:30. Maybe from 6:15 to 6:45 go for a walk. Yeah, I was sometimes in bed by 7:30, but I would wake up the next morning thinking I was sober one more day. I got through it. Keep pushing through. Just one day, maybe one hour at a time. You can do it
Old 01-04-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

stick with it chow chow - gettign sober was scary for me too - but I love it now

Look around at all the happily sober people - it's gonna be ok

Give yourself more than a few days to get used to it

D
Old 01-04-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Don't expect things to stay this way, chowchow. Your mind and body are making a huge adjustment to your non-drinking life. To be honest, I was quite miserable for a short time - even though I knew what had to be done & looked forward to a brighter day. Everything changed as I got some sober time behind me. Things are going to settle down, and you'll be free.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im on the early hours of day 4- I think its easy to get frustrated during initial withdrawal but as marvellous as the human body and brain are if youve drunk as long as I have then logically its not going to be a short process. That said i find in life the things that take work, dedication and effort end up the most rewarding.
Keep strong and focusing on the future
Old 01-05-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As others have said, initial withdrawals are the worst! One of the things that helps me is to drink tons of water. I'm only on day 19 now, but things are somewhat better already.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Few weeks to a month to feel noticeably better, assuming you are not depressed or have anxiety etc but that you can go to the docs fir and get help
Old 01-05-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's funny after reading this yesterday and I went to bad last night and had some of the coolest and scariest nightmares I've ever had in my life. Between midnight and 5am I woke up at least 3 times sweating. Each time falling back asleep to a new nightmare. I bet at least one of these would make a pretty cool scifi/horror movie. The last time I woke up, at 5am, I got up for good, took a shower, and started working.

Despite the sleep issues, I feel pretty energetic and much better than I would on my best day with a hangover.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The more you take action make my changes in your life and doing things to support and deepen your sobriety, the easier it becomes.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

when does it get easier?
I get so much more mileage out of asking questions about things I CAN control. Instead of asking myself when will it get easier, I would ask myself What can I do today to make things easier for me?

That way I'm not asking how much longer I will be a victim, I am asking how I can work to improve my situation. I find it very empowering, and I like that feeling a lot!

You can do this!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No real answer to this. It varies from person-to-person just stick with it because it is so worth it.