Notices

Cruising...sober

Old 01-03-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cruising...sober

Hi all,

I'm departing for a fifteen day cruise tomorrow to NZ from Sydney. I did a cruise back in 2013 but I was drinking then.

I'll have no internet while we are at sea so I won't be able to do my daily check in on here. I have been sober just over a month now. It hasn't been easy, I have many problems, but at the moment drinking isn't one of them.

Mainly posting this as a commitment to myself to stay sober during the trip and keep checking in and posting while we are at port. I am a little nervous as there will be plenty of alcohol around me and people partying. Thankfully my travel companion isn't much of a drinker.

Until next time! Wishing you all continued strength on your journey of sobriety
Old 01-03-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To stay sober, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. Have fun on your trip.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

my advice is to make a plan - mentally roleplay all the likely scenarios...and have an escape plan - I know you're on a ship but there must be safe places for you, even if its your cabin.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

Even if you don't need these things (and I hope you won't) they're good things to have

bon voyage

D
Old 01-03-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

They usually have friends of bill onboard. I’ve been on a few cruises and they had the meetings
Old 01-03-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Cruises never appealed to me. Everybody talks about how much they eat. And drink.

I think I'd be bored out of my mind, but I know people love them.

Stay distracted, bring books!

I so miss Sydney, I have a ton of close friends there, and it's the only place other than LA that I'd like to live.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Finding meetings on board sounds like s good idea. You may also want to print out the threads on here about recovery plans, and the holiday survival guide, they may help.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you have that much sobriety you'll stay sober if you really want to. I suggest Google funny alcohol recovery images (mini posters) and quotes. Pages and pages, they won't take up any luggage room. Then there's the Virgin Caesar, virgin smoothie type drinks, etc. Enjoy the awesome food....bon voyage!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love cruising. So much to do if you want to.

The days are FULL of daily activities (when at sea and not in port). On top of this you have the promenade deck (long walks), the gym, cinema etc etc...

You can eat a lot on cruises but you can also eat super healthy stuff as well. The array of salads, lean meats, fish etc are wonderful.

If you want a cruise can be like a floating spa adventure with ports thrown in.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sick,

It was a bit tempting to drink on the last 2 cruises I went on. Sometimes there is free booze. But, usually drinks were expensive. Some folks pay nearly $100 a day eXtra for unlimited booze.

Crazy to me these days.

Back in the day, I would bring a gallon of vodka in my luggage. I would spend the whole cruise drunk. I would be stumbling around the deck, fat and drunk. So sad.

Now I eat a lot, and use the time saved not having to clean or drive, to work out and see things.

I lIke cruising. Every cruise i went on had AA meetings. I never went but it could be a great place to make sober cruise mates.

Have a blast!

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

enjoy the cruise first and foremost
Plan plan and PLAN !
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

huh....Would have never thought about them having meetings on a cruise. Makes perfect sense with so many people on board and so many with drinking/drug problems in the world. Feels strange looking at things from 'this side' almost like another dimension at times.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Cruises never appealed to me. Everybody talks about how much they eat. And drink.

I think I'd be bored out of my mind, but I know people love them.

Stay distracted, bring books!

I so miss Sydney, I have a ton of close friends there, and it's the only place other than LA that I'd like to live.
I ate a lot of cruises but never drank much...always on shore somewhere.
And by nighttime I was always exhausted. Drank a lot more at all inclusives.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey sickofthiscrap...I just did a 10 day cruise over Christmas and returned home sober. You can do it 😉