SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Camping to help recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/421267-camping-help-recovery.html)

Lonewolf22 01-03-2018 12:45 PM

Camping to help recovery

I've just told my mum I will go to her place when she is off work so I can get my camping gear.
I keep getting the urge just to head out with my backpack and essentials and see some natural landscape and do a bit bushcraft.

The more I think about it, the more I think it is good idea.
1. It will get me away from my area for a while where I'm hesitant in going anywhere and worried of bumping into people.
2. It will get me out the house where I'm moping around and thinking too much
3. It will give me (and my dog) much needed exercise
4. I can enjoy the landscapes and visiting different places.
5. I can go a bit wild and express all the torment in my heart without having to drink.
6.It will take my mind of alcohol
7. I can express myself openly without embarrassment.

hopeful4 01-03-2018 01:20 PM

I love camping! My family and I go a few times a year. It's a great time to put the phones and computers down and do all the things you listed. Enjoy!

MyLittleHorsie 01-03-2018 01:22 PM

I think it is s great idea. I plan at the 9 month mark to go off by myself and write the next stage of my sober plan.
Nature is incredibly good for the soul plus it does all kinds of wonderful things for us, including resetting our internal body clocks.

Lonewolf22 01-03-2018 01:56 PM

Yeah, I have read so many stories about people going off on adventures and it helping their MH or addictions. I just wish it wasn't so bloody cold right now lol
Once I have my camping gear with me and I get that strong urge though I will do it regardless.

trachemys 01-03-2018 02:00 PM

Good idea. I find it so easy to enjoy a simple life in the woods.

MyLittleHorsie 01-03-2018 02:03 PM

Winter camping is big here in Canada. As long as you have the right gear. I would love to do a yurt weekend, hard because it is so popular.

Silverback4 01-03-2018 02:15 PM

Great idea. Bit jealous if I’m honest, I would love to have an option like that at the moment.
Enjoy

Dee74 01-03-2018 03:58 PM

I assume your healths pretty good right now LW?
I just ask cos being alone in the woods is not great if you need medical assistance.

Hope it's an enjoyable and rejuvenating experience.

D

Anna 01-03-2018 04:22 PM

I love the idea of camping, hiking, getting away from it all. Nature is a great antidote for addiction because of the its simplicity. It should help you to slow down and focus on your sobriety. And, Dee is right about making sure you're healthy and able to go off by yourself.

Lonewolf22 01-06-2018 02:36 PM

I'm not the fittest to be honest but bugger it I'll worry about that when I come to it, just give me FREEDOM for now lol

BrightenMeUp 01-06-2018 06:02 PM

Great idea!

Its not for everyone tho, ill have friends drop me off in the woods and tell em where to pick me up in 3 or 4 days. No idea where I am except for gps and a compass, again, I dont recommend this for everyone especially if your not used to the harsh element or equipped for it. But if you are, it can cleans the soul and helped me with my sobriety greatly..

Good luck with this!!

Lonewolf22 01-07-2018 12:07 AM

Yeah I wouldn't go ill prepared item wise. That would just turn it into a survival trip lol
But fitness am not fussed about as I can work my way around that, I hope ha

trachemys 01-07-2018 07:05 AM

22, you do know what the Ten Essentials are, right?

Even if it's too cold for overnight, some dayhikes would help with the physical questioning and frame of mind.

This week last year, I spent a week tent camped in a wildlife management area at Lake Oconee. Temps only got down to 40F. Good fishing.

JoeCree 01-07-2018 12:44 PM

I'd love to bring my dog on a camping overnight hike, but he's a mini dachshund and doggonnit his tiny legs just cant endure any distance, especially in the snow.

thomas11 01-07-2018 01:36 PM

I think camping is a great way to spend your time.

Lonewolf22 01-08-2018 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by trachemys (Post 6737549)
22, you do know what the Ten Essentials are, right?

Even if it's too cold for overnight, some dayhikes would help with the physical questioning and frame of mind.

This week last year, I spent a week tent camped in a wildlife management area at Lake Oconee. Temps only got down to 40F. Good fishing.

Yeah I have a few survival/bushcraft books they seem to differ slightly but pretty much say the same thing.
Yeah I'll be ordering the map some time in next few weeks, today after visiting recover centre, going to pop in shop to get some hiking boots and maybe bits and bobs of camping gear I need. You planning any camping this year?

trachemys 01-08-2018 04:59 AM

Plenty of more opinions on the 'net. One of the better ones:
https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/the-ten-essentials

I was planning on heading out to the lake before this cold snap hit. Lake Oconee is blessed with a lot of small, wild areas that are great for camping and fishing.

I might head to the Cohutta Wilderness a couple of times this year.

badgerden 01-08-2018 06:59 AM

Nature and time are the best healers there is. Forces you to deal with yourself, the good and the bad. If you do, please keep a journal so that we can live vicariously through your eyes.

just a lot jealous

Badge

ScottFromWI 01-08-2018 07:28 AM

I have always enjoyed camping and do a lot of it with my kids who are involved in scouting. We have our upcoming "polar camp" in February in which we spend a weekend outdoors no matter how cold it is. We do have a large outfitter tent with a woodstove so it does stay above freezing for sleeping, but you can really manage well outside even in below zero temps if you prepare and dress properly. Eating enough throughout the day and drinking water is very important too - you will perspire even when it's cold out with heavy clothes on. A dry set of clothes to put on right before bed is a very good idea too.

Our "record" cold temp for polar camp was -18F - which the scouts are always proud to announce ;- ) We do most of our camping in more reasonable temps though of course.

trachemys 01-08-2018 07:35 AM

Yeah, I've done the winter stuff as far as winter goes in georgia. 15F was my record for testing my gear.

I much prefer warmer weather. Heck, I like hot weather. I know two trails that have 40 water crossings in less than 14 miles. Great summer trips.