Notices

New here Day 2

Old 01-03-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dbr

New here Day 2

Was pretty shaky yesterday feel better today. Still a little hand shaking. But weak. Drinking lots of water, starting to get my appetite back. Can anyone share how they felt first few days.
I have been drinking weekends since highschool and 9-16 daily since about 5-6 yrs ago.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbr View Post
Was pretty shaky yesterday feel better today. Still a little hand shaking. But weak. Drinking lots of water, starting to get my appetite back. Can anyone share how they felt first few days.
I have been drinking weekends since highschool and 9-16 daily since about 5-6 yrs ago.
Thanks
I'm also on Day 2. My drinking pattern is not the same as yours, but I binge frequently and have had increasingly bad withdrawals. I have experienced the shaking, loss of appetite, sweating, night sweats. You'll feel better on day 3, stick with it! The last thing you want to do is start over. Do whatever you need to not drink today.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 3 here. Yesterday was hard. I kept wanting to drink. I made it though. Hoping today is easier. Hang in there.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR DBR! I don't remember a whole lot about those first few days - I think I purged them from my memory! I do remember that they are not easy, but I also know that those days are the foundation upon which every other day of sobriety rests. They are the most important days. Get through them. As you do, start thinking about writing up a thorough recovery plan.

Keep it up! You're doing fantastically well! I promise you that this is the most worthwhile endeavor you could possibly be pursuing right now!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dbr

Im doing my best!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dbr

Im glad I found this page all supportive words help us all
Old 01-03-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me as well - gave up for five months before - been drinking everyday for a long time now.
Yesterday was awful - today is worse what with a nagging wife who doesnt seem to understand my need for calm- ( or thats my excuse) . Not sure if i will make today - headache - brain zaps and so much else but I will tell you one thing from experience- it gets better
Old 01-03-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dbr

I dont think people who havent been in the situation understnd how hard it is for us.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, dbr! I am so glad you're here. SR has been a huge part of my getting and staying sober. I was an utter mess during withdrawals-I went to a public detox center and had seizures there so spent over a week in hospital before 2 months of inpatient rehab, so I don't remember much about the first days except that they included horrifying audio and visual hallucinations and altered mental status-I was mentally and physically out of it. On December 23 I had 2 years of sobriety, so even as far gone as I was there is still hope for a good life.
Taking lots of B vitamins (particularly thiamine) helped me, as alcohol depletes them from our bodies. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
Day 2 for me as well - gave up for five months before - been drinking everyday for a long time now.
Yesterday was awful - today is worse what with a nagging wife who doesnt seem to understand my need for calm- ( or thats my excuse) . Not sure if i will make today - headache - brain zaps and so much else but I will tell you one thing from experience- it gets better
Hey Jtmlk, you can make it through today. Just take it moment by moment and don't drink. It will, as said, get better, but you have to make it through today first. Keep posting - we are all here to offer support.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 2

I am the same as you. Day 2. We need to stay sober....and not drink. It can be done.
I am going to AA again and willing to do what's needed to get rid of booze.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dbr

A good question: There are 3 beers in my fridge. They have been there since Sunday. Should I be removing all alcohol from the premises?? Cause they are tempting. Last week I made it to three days before the holidays came up. Then I screwed up. Im not mean to anyone my kids or hubby I just sit on the couch all night. Is it possible to cut back to zero daily (I saw that method online). I cant go to rehab my husband works and we need my part time job so its rough.
Fyi: I am 45 yrs old and I started at 16 on weekends. I have a feeling it will be hard to find new coping methods
Old 01-03-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome dbr. You can do it. Be kind to yourself. Read loads round here, there is information on about anything you need. I'll look forward to hearing how you are getting on. Gabe x
Old 01-03-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbr View Post
A good question: There are 3 beers in my fridge. They have been there since Sunday. Should I be removing all alcohol from the premises?? Cause they are tempting. Last week I made it to three days before the holidays came up. Then I screwed up. Im not mean to anyone my kids or hubby I just sit on the couch all night. Is it possible to cut back to zero daily (I saw that method online). I cant go to rehab my husband works and we need my part time job so its rough.
Remove all alcohol. It is a serious risk and when you are feeling weak having beers in the fridge could be a disaster. I feel much safer with no booze in the house. Even if it's just until you find your feet. Gabe x
Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dbr

Thank you. This is a new experience for me to even try. I appreciate any and all help from you guys. Any recommended copoing methods?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Meditation is really good for me. Laying on the bed with my headphones in. Type Mindfulpeace into YouTube. They are only 15 mins long but really bring anxiety down. Also really helps sleep. Baths helped me too!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Definitely get rid of the alcohol from your house! Also make sure that you are safe. Withdrawals can be dangerous. Yours is not being medically supervised, so at least make sure that someone is with you and knows to call 911 in case of an emergency. If you start feeling really terrible, seek medical attention right away.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
dbr

Yup I know. I am in a situation where i am never alone. Im 45 it has been a lifelong issue either binge or constant last 5 yrs since my dad died and my x had an affair. I have the B vitamins. I am focusing on healthy meals lemon water, cranberry juice etc. I have two beautiful children now and a wonderfully supportive husband who is concerned about my health. I am trying to do this right and finally. I appreciate anyones support and advice. Tell me anything you think can help it is greatly appreciated. I am already in a place where I am worried about my health, and appreciate the support. thx
Old 01-03-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dump those beers down the drain,as you've already said you're thinking about them. A lot of the anxiety,from drinking, **should** go away within a week or two(at least it did for me),but I've had anxiety for years and drank over it instead of searching for the 'why?'. There may be some underlying issue of anxiety,so If it gets worse/continues see a DR and be honest. The anxiety,night sweats/insomnia and facing my truth and drunken actions/words were the hardest part of my withdraw that kept me in the bottle longer than needed. This is a great site for support and advice,but I'd also suggest some F2F support as well. Therapy,AA,ect..there's several avenues and I try to drive down them all at least once or twice. Welcome!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome dbr

if you or anyone else just joining wants more support I recommend the January support thread - all you need to do to join is post

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-2018-a-5.html

D