SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Long Term Recovery and Work-Ethic/Laziness (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/421213-long-term-recovery-work-ethic-laziness.html)

sobersolstice 01-02-2018 09:11 AM

Long Term Recovery and Work-Ethic/Laziness

Has anyone noticed a correlation between long term recovery from alcohol, and work ethic?

I've become apathetic, and a bit depressed over the years, and found that those mental faults are contributing to my *tick* to pick up a drink.

The main cause of my relapses is apathy. I just stop caring, and drink. The question is, if you've built up a strong work ethic of getting up and doing things, even if you feel horrible, has that helped in your endeavors to remain sober?

I used to be a go get-er, but have slowly diminished into someone that spends a good amount of time in bed, mainly due to booze. Have you found that strong will and work-ethic has helped you in situations where being stubborn has kept you from a potential relapse? I have it sometimes, and don't at others.

ardy 01-02-2018 09:20 AM

hi Sober and all.. hey that is so true.. and you need to be tight with this group or a few that will have your back and slap your hand... yep..

my Best Mate in the world Jack in England was having some problems like 5 years ago when we connected thro a page called the Haunt.. got my Eddie lee attached to the group and the writing of great verse and thoughts...
know what I have held on to Jack like you all have held on to me.. he now has 3 small books written and on the table for sale .. and the last one I am so very very proud of him.. he has written of his Demons and Monsters and had this book published... can I say the name of the book . Please Please Please...
A Personnel Apocalypse: the Poetic Ramblings of a Troubled Man.... it is just so great... know he has more in him.. and he is being able to help his family again.... so very very proud of him.... Sober I know you can get out of that bed and strap on those boots and get it together I know you can for I have Faith in your Heart your Soul and your ability to go the long path to the Light.. ardy

MyLittleHorsie 01-02-2018 09:58 AM

I find the longer I am sober, the more I find ambition and drive returning. I didn't create and build as much during the last few years when I was drinking, I don't think I saw clear enough and I made a couple bad investments. Don't get me wrong, I still managed 18 to 20 hour days and drank, but I didn't manage well. The fact my ambition is returning and I have major goals incorporated into my sobriety plan helps to keep me on that path.

Andante 01-02-2018 10:19 AM

I've never had a very strong work ethic or been much of a "doer," especially in the context of today's pop culture ethos that if you're not constantly DOING something, you're some kind of loser. However, I did find that a little bit of forcing myself outside my comfort zone and into being more of a "doer" was an important part of early recovery.

It's unclear from your post whether you're currently abstinent -- to me, a "relapse" isn't just a resumption of drinking after some time off -- but for me at least, I had to get some sober time under my belt before I could make any meaningful strides in recovery, including being more of a "doer" for a while.

These days, a deficient work ethic is no more likely to drive me to drinking than anything else because I no longer look to alcohol to solve any of my problems.

Dee74 01-02-2018 05:18 PM

I found it took a little time for my mind and body to return to full strength.

Then, for a while I worked like I drank, full on.

I've got all the drive and ambition I ever had again now - but it's tempered with an appreciation for a little down time too :)

best of both worlds :)

D

Babescake 01-02-2018 05:38 PM

This is a touchy topic for me. I'm a high producer, but my clinical depression (way before alcoholism came into the game) has been a big contributor to my reliability. I struggle with absenteeism and that is so frustrating to me because I know my worth. And most companies have a stigma against hiring anyone with mental health or substance abuse issues. ****** for me as I face a divorce that will show my horribleness while drinking. It will probably ruin my professional rep too.

Dee74 01-02-2018 05:50 PM

Reputations can be won again.

I was unemployable as a musician by the end of my drinking career - now I have to knock back work :)

D