Notices

TOPIC: Let's Talk About Slipping

Old 01-02-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
One thing about AA, they have a come back for everything. Talking to someone in AA is like talking to a robot. It's like pulling a string in the back of a doll and waiting for a planned response. Nothing against AA, but having a normal conversation with a hard core AA member. is tough to come by. Reminds me of when I was a special educator. Most of a meeting could involve acronyms, etc. The English language was pretty much non existent. EBD, LD, 504, ND, OCD, ADD, ADHD, IEP and on and on. But I digress.

Words carry a lot importance and how people react to them are very different. To me, honesty is what's most important. I don't see a slip as no big deal. It is a big deal and can lead to a full blown relapse. Recovering from a slip is much easier than going into a relapse. Getting back on track after messing up for a day is a whole different story than drinking for a week or more. Whole different animal and believe me, I know the difference. IMHO, a slip is a signal that a relapse is coming if changes are not made immediately. It's a wake up call. John
I agree..That's why I'm not huge on the BB, honestly, a lot of the way it's written makes my head spin at times,but it does have me re-reading and trying to make sense out of it as it pertains to me. Also, some old timers do seemed very 'rehearsed' in their phrasing when sharing. Me...I talk like we we're talking at the bar over a beer. This is why, I was told and do think, I was asked to attend a few newcomer meetings, as the group is younger and has trouble relating to the older guys. but...whatever works for ya..do that is my thinking with this thing.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One thing about AA, they have a come back for everything. Talking to someone in AA is like talking to a robot. It's like pulling a string in the back of a doll and waiting for a planned response. Nothing against AA, but having a normal conversation with a hard core AA member. is tough to come by. Reminds me of when I was a special educator. Most of a meeting could involve acronyms, etc. The English language was pretty much non existent. EBD, LD, 504, ND, OCD, ADD, ADHD, IEP and on and on. But I digress.

stop on by anytime., youll find im an awesome,recovered,sober robot that likes good conversation.

im pretty happy and greatful to be onbe of the "they."
its kept me sober for a few days
Old 01-02-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm still seeking recovery (and did have a SLIP) in one night of drinking. Of course that is when I called addiction treatment centers for further treatment. But whether called relapse or slip, both scare me. I'm afraid of getting f*cked out of my mind and doing something that can't be undone. But living with that uncertainty isn't healthy either. That is where a solid plan and faith in oneself comes into play. I'm not there yet, but hope to attain that stance after rehab. I'd rather live life as life rather than being in constant fear of relapse and a return to hell. Granted, I'm still in hell currently, but I'm one that hopes to resume my normal using tools and stuff I learn from education and awareness. Frankly, fear is one of the bases of my addiction.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
stop on by anytime., youll find im an awesome,recovered,sober robot that likes good conversation.

im pretty happy and greatful to be onbe of the "they."
its kept me sober for a few days
Wish you lived where I live. Actually having a regular conversation with someone from AA would of done me a lot more good than hearing their rehearsed stuff. I know they mean well but just having a regular conversation can do more to help someone get sober than all the jargon that AA is good at. Talk to me about sports, the daily news, or just stuff would help me to stay sober more than sayings or readings from the BB. Sometimes, people just want to connect with someone else. John
Old 01-02-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wish you lived where I live. Actually having a regular conversation with someone from AA would of done me a lot more good than hearing their rehearsed stuff. I know they mean well but just having a regular conversation can do more to help someone get sober than all the jargon that AA is good at. Talk to me about sports, the daily news, or just stuff would help me to stay sober more than sayings or readings from the BB. Sometimes, people just want to connect with someone else. John
That's why there's a Pm feature here,bud! I Pm Tomsteve about some nonsense at times. He's a good dude and has lots of experience getting to and living a sober lifestyle. Just sayin.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A key word I didn't use in my first post and don't think I have seen, that connects directly to slip and relapse equaling death (or the other dire consequences) is YET.

This is an important word because:
Some use it as an acronym for "You're Entitled too" - as in, if it can happen to someone else it can happen to you - this is often discussed in situations like, "I'm not that bad....[YET**"

And because it can also mean that you've got a chance - now - and haven't YET met what many of us consider the possible ends for an alcoholic: death, jail, or (in more modern wording than "institution," say), serious/permanent hospitalization. Death can be by any means, from the person I know who shot himself, to the one who died by cirrhosis (make that, the many I know), who killed (just) himself in a car crash, died of a stroke or heart attack that could in truth be connected to drinking....or along with others in any manner of scenarios.

YET is, IME, very important. Whatever we call things, it's our THINKING that is the problem, that causes us to drink, that keeps us drinking - that makes us take that "one more chance" option.

And that's the real issue. IMO we don't get unlimited chances to get this thing- sobriety- right. I like this last chance I am taking too much to risk it for anything.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
That's why there's a Pm feature here,bud! I Pm Tomsteve about some nonsense at times. He's a good dude and has lots of experience getting to and living a sober lifestyle. Just sayin.
Got nothing against Tomesteve bud. Maybe you can PM and express your concerns. Always open to others's opinions. Just sayin. John
Old 01-02-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
AA member

I rarely read these threads,but when I do I am filled with gratitude that I keep my recovery simple.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well that hit the nail on the head Sharon!!

"Slips", "relapses", "moments", "breaks" . . . they were all part of my addiction and not a part of my recovery!!

Sharon!!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Samantha

Exactly! Just because nothing “bad” has happened while I was drunk, doesn’t mean something won’t happen.
I am in a good attempt to stop slipping right now and hope to keep going .
Old 01-02-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I’m very big on “yet.”

It also keeps me humble. That person is a REAL alcoholic. They have been homeless, had a stint in jail, have multiple DUIs and rehabs. I’m not a “real” alcoholic because none of those things have happened to me.

Yet.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am all over the map on this one. Some random thoughts for your consideration:

I don't like the term slip. It's too soft a word. BS. You drank. Own it.

I don't think the term relapse is accurate for everyone either. There is a difference between one drinking event and a multi day drunken bender.

To me the issue I have with some AA members is that they do tend to paint a horror show picture for those who drink again. It is certainly possible but not an accurate assessment of the situation for everyone. I personally will respond best to someone who states that another drink is not a positive event and should be avoided.

And to wrap up my post here's my AA "robot" quote. Pull my string...

To thine own self be true.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder please, to everyone:

Please Read! The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Dee
SR
Old 01-03-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for ALL your thoughts,
posts and shares with me and others
here in SR. As always, they are so much
appreciated.

We can move forward taking what
was share to help you on your
own journey in living a sober clean
life ahead of you.

SR has been a great extra lifeline
I continue to use in my own recovery
life for awesome support, suggestions,
understanding and care.

Hope it is and will be for you too.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Ok, so what do we call it then? I see both sides and agree with all of them. Relapse, slip up, whatever it is. PersonalIy, @&%!ed up on the weekend, and drank. Next day I jumped back on my horse and hopefully don'y get tossed off it.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
sober style

As long as you don't drink, you don't have to call it anything! Now that's win-win.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Let's see.....there will always be some person,
place or thing in life, whether it be large or small,
whatever it maybe, will try it's hardest to ruffle
our feathers and tempt us into finding some
way to take action, pick up, make a decision,
and we're off and running with our addiction.

Fatal? Id hope not. But we know it can
happen as we've seen and heard time
and time again. Sad but true.

However, to avoid whatever you wish to
refer it to, doesn't have to happen because
you now have knowledge of what could and would
happen. Right?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

One thing about AA, they have a come back for everything.

Probably because the people in the typical AA meeting cumulatively, have 100’s of years of experience dealing with alcohol abuse. If the honesty of the AA meeting makes you uncomfortable, you don’t have to go.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

welp, in the rooms we talk about recovery. the preamble kind of explains that.
with newcomers we talk a lot about recovery. with sponsees the talk can center around recovery. thats how it works.
personally its all i wanted to talk about when i was new to recovery. i wanted to learn how to live life on lifes terms, which part of that was accepting AA meetings arent a chit chat session about whatever. as i worked the steps, conversation at the meeting before the meeting , the meeting after the meeting, during rides with others in recovery to other meetings, and even when id just be talkin with my sponsor and others,conversation was about more than just recovery- many topics would get discussed.
that took T.I.M.E.=
Things I Must Earn.

maybe im different, but talk about sports,news, or just stuff never helped me learn how to live life on lifes terms- it never kept me sober.

P.S.
i dont rehearse ANYTHING at meetings( just like here- NOTHING is rehearsed) because i never know what the topic will be or what i may hear(or read).
but i think i get what youre sayin-some people say the same things at every meeting.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Nothing rehearsed.....if i tried to rehearse
what i want to say, it never comes out right.

But of i share from my heart, then i have
nothing to worry about. It genuine and...

From my heart, mind and soul.

You guys rock....!!!!

Thank you for sharing your own ESH-
experiences, strengths and hopes of what
it is like before, during and after your addiction,
because it not only helps me remain sober
and honest, but it helps to continue paving
the path for many to travel by listening, learning,
absorbing and applying helpful recovery
tools to be successful in their own program
of recovery and life.

Way to guys...!!!