Notices

A slip up....

Old 12-31-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'll be welcoming in the New year in bed with a head cold and chesty cough... But, at least I will be taking the time to put my health and wellbeing first, and getting some well needed rest.

My lesson has been learnt.

Thank you all
Old 12-31-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starsabove32 View Post
Did the issues go away? Well.... I do feel better acknowledging that December will always be a difficult month, and that next year I will put more of an action plan in place 💪I constantly felt sad throughout and ignored it. Accept it and deal with it and move on.

Time is too precious, and to waste a day hungover is not for me anymore.

New year. New start.

Sobriety for me has been a learning curve. Gaining more confidence and accepting the bad with the good. It's been full of new and exciting experiences.

Onwards and upwards
I think that is the key to sobriety. Take responsibility and take action.
Sobriety will throw all kinds of unexpected things at you, so I agree that sobriety is a learning curve. I think that's why Dee stresses the need for a plan. But that plan, in my opinion, requires updates as things come up. Can't anticipate everything.
I'm just getting over a cold. Nasty cough. Hope you feel better soon. Happy new year. John
Old 12-31-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Happy New Year Starsabove. Be kind to yourself.

DS
Old 12-31-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I think that is the key to sobriety. Take responsibility and take action.
Sobriety will throw all kinds of unexpected things at you, so I agree that sobriety is a learning curve. I think that's why Dee stresses the need for a plan. But that plan, in my opinion, requires updates as things come up. Can't anticipate everything.
I'm just getting over a cold. Nasty cough. Hope you feel better soon. Happy new year. John
We had a nasty arrogant know-it-all lawyer as one of our councillors in rehab. I loathed him.

However, he hammered home the point about making a very specific recovery plan, over and over and over again until we could all dance to it. What meetings are you going to? When are you getting a sponsor? Where are you starting outpatient rehab? Which friends will be good to have around in recovery and which need to be kicked to the curb, and when?

Thanks God he did. He was a complete and total a-hole, but his message was crucial, and I thank him for it every day.

He also stressed over and over that your plan needs to be written down and frequently evaluated, making any change as necessary as you get new data about sobriety and find out what's working and what isn't.

I'm with Dee. PLAN PLAN PLAN. Share it with others, or a trusted other, and with someone who is in recovery. Be mindful and accountable to yourself about your plan and your recovery.

I can't stress enough how crucial I find this to be.

Starsabove, please make this a priority in the New Year. Continued sobriety is the only resolution that really matters.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

MindfulMan, I couldn't agree with you more. To have someone that doesn't take your bull and pushes you to take a hard look at your drinking and points you in the right direction is invaluable. There is nothing worse and sad than a drunk struggling to stay sober by themselves. AA provides a very structured way of achieving sobriety and has helped many people accompolish that.
Unfortunately, the BS that people are called out on doesn't address the BS in AA. I've seen people totally absorbed in AA. And thank God they have that. Their life is AA, and maybe that' s what they need to stay sober. AA is far from perfect no different than any other recovery program. The only program that makes any difference is what works for them. John
Old 12-31-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm pretty strong and determined. I've decided to not guilt trip myself endlessly about the one night out. Its done. Start again. I've spent too much time criticising myself overall. It's more self acceptance I need to aim for 💪 I'm happy to continue on my journey ☺
Old 12-31-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good attitude! Wishing you all the success on your journey in 2018!
Happy New Year!