Notices

Everything is a trigger right now

Old 12-29-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Everything is a trigger right now

EVERYTHING is a trigger right now and it's driving me nuts. Everytime I leave my house, I see a liquor store, a wine bar, something that reminds me of getting drunk. And even when I don't leave my house, seeing characters on TV drinking is triggering. Does anyone have advice for dealing with triggers? I can't avoid them all.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've just posted above
On the forum
One precious life.
I'm right there with you
Keep connected. Talking sharing is a good weapon against triggers
It's certainly helping me to find some strength.
Action plans we need action plans.
Commitment energise ourselves to become the people we are capable of being.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can be hyper sensitive to everything related to booze and your drinking life especially in early recovery.
I was at a Xmas market on Dec 1st and the first thing My alcohol wired brain noticed was the location of the Prosecco truck, Gin Tent, Mulled Wine Stall and the general Bar.
Didn’t drink and hadn’t had a drink since Early sept but this is how my brain is wired for now.

I get your TV trigger comment. I am watching Peaky Blinders at the moment and all they do is smoke and drink Irish whiskey. Like your not a real man unless your downing 3 fingers of hard liquor every 5 mins.
I remind myself that it’s apple juice, cold tea, coloured water or some other unpleasant crap just for the camera.

I thought Point Break was a cool movie as well but I didn’t go and get a surf board or rob any banks lol.
It does get easier, hang in there.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If everything is bombarding you at the moment it's a great time to think about making a recovery action plan:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 12-29-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's overwhelming at first, you just have to hold out and wait for it to pass. things get better with time. I was also extremely emotional at first which causes stress and fighting the stress seems to be the part that wears me down.

Time is the fixer.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

most things are only a trigger as long as we allow them to have that power over us.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

bring,

As a non drinker now, when I see drunk people I am a bit curious as to why I ever found being drunk enticing.

I was addicted as a preteen so I am confident that led to my misdirection.

These days, seeing folks acting drunk is off putting. Even drunk ladies are sort of sad. Slurring the words, eyes glazed over. Sad.

I don't envy them, because I know there will be hell to pay for them in the morning....the anxiety and crave the next day. Nightmare!

Plus, they have to worry about making it home, waking up in the middle of the night dehydrated, and having to go to the bathroom.

There is nothing attractive about that for me anymore.

The only think attractive about booze was the initial buzz, which sent me into euphoria, but quickly after that I was already coming down and feeling sick.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

"Does anyone have advice for dealing with triggers?"

Only one piece of advice - dont pull them

Stay on track !
Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also, be wary of HALT. Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired. Once these are in play you will be fat more sensitive to everything else. So it is wise to plan your days around avoiding those HALT triggers and making contingency plans for it they pop up,

BB