Notices

AA vs. going at it alone

Old 03-15-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with Mindfulman (and most everyone else!). There are as many paths to recovery as there are addicts. Even those in the same program take very different paths oftentimes. For me, SR and Smart Recovery are really helping. I find that some form of community or group support is really invaluable. Whether it's SR, or a group of some sort. It really helps to have a group of people in your life who truly understand what you're going through.

Best of luck!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

According to statistics from rhe NIAAA, roughly 75% of Americans who quit drinking because of problems with alcohol did so with no programmatic support. They just decided to stop and did so. So, yes, people can quit drinking without formal recovery programs. That is pretty much what I did except I come here for support and encouraging posts.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by calan View Post
Good afternoon!!
I decided to put down the wine bottle 16 days ago, it's been a long couple of weeks with lots of ups and downs.....

I went to a few AA meetings, but felt completely out of place. I tried different times, and even went to the women's meeting. But I just felt more down and not connected at all.

I am fortunate enough to have a huge, supportive hubby, and feel like I may be able to kick this terrible disease without the daily support of AA. I am reading from the big book everyday, and keeping myself busy whenever I feel any of the HALT triggers coming on.

Am I crazy to think/believe that I can do it without AA meetings?
I don't know about you but I was crazy to think I could do it without the whole AA deal, though my experience tells me that if there was a part I could do in a minimal way. it would be meetings.

This little passage from page 34 of the book you have been reading might help you to decide. "For those who are unable to drink moderately the question is how to stop altogether. We are assuming, of course, that the reader desires to stop. Whether such a person can quit upon a nonspiritual basis depends upon the extent to which he has already lost the power to choose whether he will drink or not. Many of us felt that we had plenty of character. There was a tremendous urge to cease forever. Yet we found it impossible."

That was me. I was not someone with a "drinking problem" who could just up and quit as so many people do. I was a chronic alcoholic from the bottom of the heap who had lost the power of choice. For this condition, the medical experts tell me, there is no medical solution. The only hope is some kind of conversion experience.

For someone like me there were not many paths. There was one. You may well be different, many chronic alcoholics think they are. The thing to do is look at your own experience. How successful have you been with your firm decisions to not drink? Can you keep that resolve strong in your mind, or does it fade in a few days? Do you suddenly change your mind? Do you even remeber the moments before taking the fatal first drink?

Any sane person with a drinking history like mine, would not go with in a mile of a drink. Not so with me. The thoughts that should keep me sober don't come with any force. They don't serve as a deterent. They are not sufficiently powerful to overcome the insane reasoning that tells me this time will be different.

This craziness and the lack of a medical solution put me beyond human aid. No one could fix me. This was the fact I discovered which led me to turn to the last remaining hope, AA and a God of my understanding.

Just to look at personal experience, success and failure in my immediate world. In the nut farm I was with a group of ten, all under forty, all end stage alcoholics with not a great chance of recovery. Two decided to try the spiritul path, went to AA and recovered after doing some work. Eight of us went off to do it our way. One year later, seven were dead, I was the only one still standing.

That produced some outstanding statistics relating to that group at the rehab. 30% made a full recovery. That is a great result for a rehab. Of those in the group that went to AA and did the work, 100% recovered and are still sober today.

So where are you with this illness? Can you still choose? In which case just don't drink, or have you lost the power of choice? In which case just don't drink is about as helpful as telling someone with depression to just don't be depressed.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I haven't used AA, but if SR hadn't worked for me, that would be the next step.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
According to statistics from rhe NIAAA, roughly 75% of Americans who quit drinking because of problems with alcohol did so with no programmatic support. \
thats pretty cool!
does the NIAAA have statistics for people that are still drinking or unable to stop? statistics that say why the are still drinking or unable to stop?
they do have these stats:
In 2015, 26.9 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they engaged in binge drinking in the past month; 7.0 percent reported that they engaged in heavy alcohol use in the past month.

According to the 2015 NSDUH, 15.1 million adults ages 18 and older (6.2 percent of this age group) had AUD. This includes 9.8 million men (8.4 percent of men in this age group) and 5.3 million women (4.2 percent of women in this age group).
About 6.7 percent of adults who had AUD in the past year received treatment. This includes 7.4 percent of males and 5.4 percent of females with AUD in this age group.
7.4% of the males=725,000. that leaves over 9 million not getting treatment.

thats a pretty low percentage of people that have received treatment. it would be interesting to see if the NIAAA did a study to find out the "why" of people not seeking treatment.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

78 days
And this site along with my family an a few dear loyal friends are my support at the moment
Well done I was also a wine drinker and haven't touched it since boxing day

Good luck
Caralara ❤️
Old 03-15-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I haven't used AA, but if SR hadn't worked for me, that would be the next step.
SR is a great place for mutual support and exchange of ideas and information about various problems and their solutions, but I don't think it was ever intended to be any kind of a treatment or solution in itself, for said problems.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You can for sure get sober on your own, but having a solid recovery plan is essential. I'm sure everyone can notice those that just "wing it" with no plan in place, almost always relapse over and over.
Though statistically, people are significantly more likely to get, and stay sober with a support system in place such as AA, an addiction therapist, SMART, etc,..
Old 03-15-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR is a great place for mutual support and exchange of ideas and information about various problems and their solutions, but I don't think it was ever intended to be any kind of a treatment or solution in itself, for said problems

I wasn't here when SR opened Mike so I'm not sure what the intent was

Nevertheless this community has been a part of the solution - the main part even - for me, and many others here

D
Old 03-15-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Trudgin

If you desire a foothold program seems like Internet Brands/SR has a lot to choose only a click away. Wonder how many of these advertised Rehabs centers give clients a big book and rides to meetings - pretty common where I live. At many meetings Rehab folks are 1/3 to 1/2 of people attending.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
SR is a great place for mutual support and exchange of ideas and information about various problems and their solutions, but I don't think it was ever intended to be any kind of a treatment or solution in itself, for said problems.
I wasn't here in 2000 at the outset of SR, but I arrived in 2003 and I was lucky enough to be here for a couple of years with Jon Heller who started this website. I think your comment greatly underestimates the vision and love that Jon had. We used to call SR 'The house that Jon built'.

Here are two articles that have been previously posted here a few times to give you some idea of Jon and his dream:

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - Sept. 2, 2003 (Send2Press Newswire) -- Millions of people suffer from substance abuse and all but a tiny percentage will be unable to break their habits without help. Thanks to the extraordinary resources provided at SoberRecovery (www.SoberRecovery.com), a 3-year-old Internet success story, help is available around-the-clock to anyone who is suffering and ready to change.

Launched at the turn of the century -- the 21st Century -- SoberRecovery.com is a one-stop directory for anything related to recovery, especially for those in the grips of alcoholism and substance abuse. The site includes an abundance of simple-to-access, easy-to-act-on information and a wealth of resources for sobriety and sober living. Part sounding board, part support group, part white pages and yellow pages, SoberRecovery.com is one of the Internet's most comprehensive directories of recovery information and support.

Substance abuse takes many forms in today's complex world. SoberRecovery.com ensures that visitors in need can find help, referrals and information regarding heroin, cocaine, alcohol, marijuana, crystal meth; and treatment program options including detox, residential treatment centers, wilderness camps and outpatient programs for adults or adolescents.

Teens, Parents, and Addiction According to statistics, almost 17 million Americans aged 12 or older abused or were dependent on either alcohol or illicit drugs in 2002. "Young people are so often the casualties of addiction because before they know what's happened, they get in over their head, especially with alcohol" says Jon Heller, founder. "For those who are too frightened or embarrassed to talk to their parents, there's confidential, life-saving information on our site. And for parents who are desperate to act, but don't know what to do or where to turn, there's the support and guidance they so critically need to save their sons and daughters."

Man with a Mission Jon Heller is the experienced professional whose vision and passion are the twin engines that power SoberRecovery.com. A former drug and alcohol counselor and program manager for a dual-diagnosis sober living program, Heller was intrigued by the possibilities of cyberspace. "I'd had a limited amount of experiences with websites and Internet marketing, and decided to challenge myself to see if I could create something valuable."

Originally, the site had "very humble beginnings," and was "just a few pages of links to AA and counseling sites," says Heller. Today, SoberRecovery.com offers thousands of resources and serves over 70,000 unique visitors (with more than 350,000 page views) each and every month.

Born in Pasadena, but now headquartered in Palm Springs, SoberRecovery.com is "a place where anybody seeking help from alcoholism, addictions or mental health can find support and resources quickly, easily and at no charge," says Heller. Unlike many sites, SoberRecovery.com has no membership requirements, charges no fees, and makes all information available free-of-charge. "Our revenue comes from our advertisers," Heller explains. "It's a win-win situation for everyone."

User-Friendly (in a Good Way) At SoberRecovery.com, the word "user" has a dual meaning. The goal is for people who are self-medicating with food, alcohol or drugs of any kind (to deaden pain, mask emotion or vent frustrations) to use the site instead and get the relief they need as quickly and easily as possible. "It's not uncommon for people to make their commitment to sobriety in the dead of night," says Heller. "And when someone is ready to call it quits we want to remove as many obstacles as we can to keep people in the fast lane on the road to recovery."

Heller is committed to making SoberRecovery.com easy-to-use and is continuously updating its functionality and content. The 2500 unique recovery resources are searchable by category or keyword, and a Message Board community with 20 full-time moderators helps newbies by offering support and help.

"Our message board community is huge and it keeps growing," says Heller with pride. "There have been nearly 100,000 posts in our forums. It's extremely gratifying to read how generous people are with their support and expertise, and to watch someone take their first steps on the path to recovery."

Quote:
Palm Springs, CA (PRWEB) September 8, 2005 -- It's 4 am. Someone, somewhere, is up late, wrecked over a debilitating addiction (or the resulting family, relationship and employment problems). She is at her rope's end, physically, emotionally, and with a rapidly diminishing will to live. Staring at a flickering white screen in a darkened room, feebly she brings her fingers to the keyboard to type in search terms, determined to find something, anything. It seems no matter what combination of alcoholism and addiction treatment search terms are typed in, there it is again in the results list: SoberRecovery.com. She finally clicks, reluctantly, then clicking on the message board link and, unsure what to do, starts reading. Minutes into it there are tears falling down onto the keyboard and a shred of something like hope and self-respect stirring where moments before was only hopelessness and despair.

Does this seem too dramatic, too moving to be true? It isn't. It happens quite often at SoberRecovery.com, a website where information, help and support can be found 24 hours a day for addicts, alcoholics and those concerned for them.

As the many volunteers and moderators are getting ready for the web site's 5th Birthday, you might think, What's so special about a website for alcoholics, drug addicts and co-dependents?

Jon Heller, SoberRecovery.com's founder would tell you, We don't judge, we don't charge those needing help or those providing it, and we never close. There is always someone there to help you. Always.

Perhaps the best proof that SR is fulfilling its mission is right on the message boards, which are constantly flowing with threads and posts from addicts, alcoholics and their family and friends, some simply thanking SR for being there, such as these from a current message thread:

Where Were You When You Found SR?

I was out of my mind... with worry for my husband, who had just had a slip after being clean for 8 months. But it wasn't his slip that did it, it was the way I reacted a week later. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say, I hit MY bottom and realized some changes needed to be made by me.

I did a search on addiction and codependency and found my way here. Thus began the journey. My recovery from codependency and ACOA began here. My acceptance of my parents and childhood happened here. You walked with me through my husband's recovery, relapse, and attempts at finding recovery again You are my family.

Yet another member relates his experience with the SoberRecovery.com site:

I had finally come to realize that my son was addicted to heroin. I searched for literally everything relating to addiction and I kept finding SR. I remember thinking...'but I don't need a chat room, I need information!' Then I read a few posts and began to cry...there were others like me out there.

So who's behind all this? Heller is reluctant to talk about himself directly, insisting that SoberRecovery's directory and online community say it all. For some history behind SR, he did have this to say:

The first year was like a project, I had no plans for this to become a full-time career. I had no computer skills or experience other than ***** e-mail. But I began compiling lists, sending out hundreds of e-mails, saved up money for softwareThe second year though, Google found us. And since then, every single month, we keep growing. What started as a list of a few hundred resources is now a directory of several thousand. We added message boards, an article library, an archive, and chat***** says we have almost a million pages.

Having passed the 5,000,000 visitor mark and with their 5th Birthday rapidly approaching this September 19th, Heller and all of the volunteers at SoberRecovery are urging members and visitors from the early days to stop by and check in and tell their own story. Newcomers are invited to see how SR can help them find hope in their search for their own recovery.

Getting help and giving help--exactly what SoberRecovery was created for.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Easy, there. On April 10th, I will post my story and it will highlight why this is a dangerous concept to put out there into the universe.

Peace.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello!

It can be done. The key is to make a plan and work
It. You can borrow from many methodologies for whatever suits you but the trick is actually doing it: working the plan.

I do AVRT, SR and had a plan that I work everyday and it has really made a difference. You can do it too!!!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
G-Woman

You're not crazy - there are many paths to recovery (as others have mentioned), and lots of resources here at SR if you wish to explore different programs/methods.

Personally, I needed the structured program of AA, but I can't speak for others.

Welcome, and stick around.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
As many other posters said - there are a lot of options between AA and "doing it alone".

There is no monopoly or best way to get sober and stay that way.

We are happy to live in the age when worldwide support is just literally one click away.

I am 5 years and 5 months sober and in terms of community support SR is my only resource.

There are tools which proved to be very useful regardless of method chosen - planning, working through issues of the inner world, new hobbies, etc.

Best wishes.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Rar

Thanks for posting the history of SR, Anna!. With SR, no one is 'going it alone'.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
under new management

I have been sober for 3 + years by the grace of God.....and SR!!!!!

I am constantly amazed by the wisdom, the generosity in sharing experiences, the "no person left behind" mentality here on SR.

I believe there are many paths to lasting sobriety and, for me, SR is my path.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Trudgin

From SR website 3/2/2001 front page of website ;

2100 UNIQUE SITES that include online Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, Narcotics Anonymous meetings, and Cocaine Anonymous. listings for Recovery Books and Tapes, Mental Health Resources, Residential Treatment Facilities and Sober Living Homes, Detox,Online Counseling, Sober Chat, Binge Eating Disorders, Treatment Centers, Dual Diagnosis, Bi-polar Disorder and much more...

Recovery begins here...

And people do recover, every single day.Through various means and methods, those with mental illness, alcoholism and addictions, eating disorders, grief and many other life issues, people get better. They rarely do it alone. If help is what you seek, we hope you'll find it here

https://web.archive.org/web/20010302...covery.com:80/

Thanks John and et al
Attached Images
File Type: gif
spacedog.gif (3.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
AA Member

Alcoholics Anonymous
Page 164 ...

Our book is meant to be suggestive only. We realize we know only a little. God will constantly disclose more to you and to us.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm trying it on my own

I'm going alone, no AA meetings. Just reading a lot from this site. Everybody is different and I'm the kind of person that does not match in AA programs/meetings. It is just an spiritual commitment with myself. Rediscovering who I am, where I'm going, what other activities fulfill my soul. Easy ?. No.
It is just taking one day at a time. If you truly make a commitment with yourself, it is possible.