Notices

Caring for a relative who drinks

Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caring for a relative who drinks

Hi, I live at my mother's house as her carer, she drinks a bottle of wine a day at least, I've had alcohol related heart trouble and been told to stop drinking and am finding it extremely difficult as there is alcohol in the house all the time. Does anyone else have a similar problem and how do they cope?
Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry I don't have much advice but wanted to empathise with you. Its a tough situation. My husband is a heavy drinker at times and it makes it harder to stop. That said, I have learned a lot from reading posts here. Many people are living with drinkers. I think once you fully accept that you cannot drink, others drinking becomes less of an issue. I am still working on that kind of acceptance myself.
Support to you.
DS
Old 12-28-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My mother is an alcoholic and she will die well before her time - or at the very least suffer a stroke and incapacitate herself... I try and advise and help her but she say's that she is 'fully cooked' at her age and likes to drink at least once every day (minimum bottle of wine).

I'm not her carer so it is easier for me to cope as I can escape. But you have my total sympathy as when I do see her drinking it can trigger me.

I'm sorry that wasn't constructive, I just wanted to share and empathise.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rupert
I just asked about you on another thread & then spotted this!

I'm sorry for your situation, being a carer must be tough, and worse when the alcohol issues are added.

I quit drinking 3 months ago, I drank a bottle of wine a night. My husband still drinks though so I am used to alcohol being in the house , we always have some in!

I think of the alcohol issues as my issue, not anyone else's which helps me. I had just got to the point of enough was enough and I stopped, and concentrated on myself. My starting point was 90 days off but then I realised I had to stop, period. It is harder in the sense that the alcohol is available if I ever feel overwhelmed but this site is amazing, posting here really helps me. I'm committed to the fact that I won't drink, even I am sitting next to my husband who is!

You can do it! X
Old 12-28-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Rupert

I can only imagine thats hard to deal with - but many members here have dealt with drinking spouses etc and stayed sober so it s not a deal breaker.
I think it's vital to have sober support and use it though.

Maybe even a recovery action plan?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D