Notices

It all goes wrong when I feel better.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It all goes wrong when I feel better.

I am 49 years old and I have drank alcohol on an almost daily basis since my teenage years, I have been diagnosed with alcohol cardiomyopathy a disease of the heart. For some time now I have tried to stop drinking alcohol, I stop for a few days and begin to feel better, at this point I begin to drink again? Has anyone come across this situation and if so how do I get past this stage??
Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you mean the medical condition of the heart then I and suspect many on here will not have experience of that - maybe a few will.
If you mean returning to drink when feelings improve then 100% of people here will identify with that. We kept returning to drink until we decided that we wouldn't.
Do you want to quit drinking? If you REALLY want to quit you can.

Welcome to SR
Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just looked up alcoholic cardiomyopathy. Sounds like you NEED to stop drinking urgently.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also see I should have said welcome back to SR.

Did you manage to give up for 90 days back in Jan 2013?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will admit I used to be a daily drinker, then I thought I'd cut back by only drinking on the weekends. So I'd start the week feeling like crap and by the end of the week I'd feel great. I would then drink to excess and start the cycle again. So yes, I can relate to your situation. I did this for about 4-5 years. I don't count days but 26 months ago I quit altogether and it was the smartest thing I've done.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome.

It sounds like a life without alcohol, or death with a life of alcohol.

You're worth living a beautiful life, if you think about it you could very well have another 30 amazing year's if you take care of yourself! 49 isn't old, life can still be wonderful.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think most all of us went around the hamster wheel of drinking, swearing we'd never do it again, then a couple days later once the feeling like hell passed, it's right back to the booze, rinse and repeat.
With having a pretty serious medical condition and still continuing to drink, I would look into getting yourself into a rehab center or another intensive alcohol treatment program. Your life literally is riding on it,..
Old 12-28-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry to here about your health troubles. The quitting - relapse cycle is common. I did it for years. If you want to stop you can. Stay close to SR, read around. It takes effort but the long time members here on SR prove it can be done.
Support to you.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What do you do differently to improve your ability to succeed between each failed attempt?

For a long time I would just "try to quit" but not change anything when it didn't work.
Guess what--it didn't work

That's where I would put my attention--make a plan, adjust the plan,
and get plenty of outside support.

You can do this--you do have to be all in, however. . .
Old 12-28-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
I also see I should have said welcome back to SR.

Did you manage to give up for 90 days back in Jan 2013?
Sadly no, I really need to commit this time though, not 90 days but one day at a time.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that you need to commit to sobriety, for your health. I hope that you can accept that you can never drink again. You can get past the point of feeling better and drinking, by stepping out of the vicious cycle. You can do this!
Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
What do you do differently to improve your ability to succeed between each failed attempt?

For a long time I would just "try to quit" but not change anything when it didn't work.
Guess what--it didn't work

That's where I would put my attention--make a plan, adjust the plan,
and get plenty of outside support.

You can do this--you do have to be all in, however. . .
Previous attempts always failed when I felt better, however now I have a medical condition caused by my alcohol abuse, my Cardiologist is telling me i need to stop, so here I am again, I am worried in a week though when I feel better the cycle will start over.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I agree that you need to commit to sobriety, for your health. I hope that you can accept that you can never drink again. You can get past the point of feeling better and drinking, by stepping out of the vicious cycle. You can do this!
Thanks, I am going to plan better this time and take one day at a time to begin with.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
Sorry to here about your health troubles. The quitting - relapse cycle is common. I did it for years. If you want to stop you can. Stay close to SR, read around. It takes effort but the long time members here on SR prove it can be done.
Support to you.
Thanks
Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've got cardiomyopathy caused by alcohol as well
Old 12-28-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It seems like your life depends on quitting.

The conversation with your mind, "can I drink tonight?" - "no", "but I feel better" - "still no" , "but....." - "still no".

I'm not saying it is easy, it takes real work and determination. I tried to quit, tried to moderate then finally enough was enough, the conversation is always as above.

You can do it. Stick with us on here. Take care.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic with only 26 days sober - so I know very little about recovery.

But I do know that I am a terrible coward when it comes to the thought of death. We've all dabbled with dark thoughts at one time or another (especially when drunk and feeling sorry for ourselves). But when faced with the stark reality that our heart might just stop one day due to our own self abuse - well boy oh boy I wouldn't need any plan for that at all. Me and Mr Alcohol would never speak again - and that's a fact.

And I'm a three bottles of wine, every night, alcoholic..

Not judging AT ALL. Just saying.

You only have ONE life. This isn't a trial run. Stop or die.

Wishing you 100% clarity and the power to stay sober that follows it.

JT
Old 12-28-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Emptyglass welcome to SR and just to add some positivity and hope I believe that finding this wonderful site saved my life. Truly.
I drank daily for years and in April 2016 I joined SR. I was utterly broken and so lonely. The connection to other alcoholics and the kind words were a godsend. That being said my "attempts" to get sober resulted in a pattern much like yours I suspect. Off and on binge relapse for a year. Problem was this reeked havoc with my health, I started getting worsening withdrawal and experiencing kindling (please look it up here if you're unfamiliar). I got sick to the point I couldn't physically stomach alcohol any more. Then came the most frightening experience of my life being stopping cold turkey and a full 7 days of withdrawal. I thought I would die if I allowed myself to sleep. Horrible.
Then I submitted to this deadly condition/disease. I was utterly beaten and there was only one answer. Stop and stop for good.
It's not easy I'm not going to cherry coat it for you but it can absolutely can be done. Nobody here is "special" it just starts with one day then another then another.
You must make that commitment to yourself. No alcohol will pass your lips ever again. Not one sip. Ever. Anything else you get done in a day is a bonus at first but just get your head on that pillow sober each night and the day is a success.
Please use this wonderful site. Read, post, learn.
Soak yourself in recovery material, watch YouTube documentaries, check out the crash course on rational recovery online, try AA (call a helpline if you're too nervous to just go alone)........basically anything and everything. You are saving your life and that is the bottom line.
I look forward to seeing more of you around here. Take care xxx
Old 12-28-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
I'm an alcoholic with only 26 days sober - so I know very little about recovery.

But I do know that I am a terrible coward when it comes to the thought of death. We've all dabbled with dark thoughts at one time or another (especially when drunk and feeling sorry for ourselves). But when faced with the stark reality that our heart might just stop one day due to our own self abuse - well boy oh boy I wouldn't need any plan for that at all. Me and Mr Alcohol would never speak again - and that's a fact.

And I'm a three bottles of wine, every night, alcoholic..

Not judging AT ALL. Just saying.

You only have ONE life. This isn't a trial run. Stop or die.

Wishing you 100% clarity and he power to stay sober that follows it.

JT
^^^^^ yes this!
Great post Tony
Old 12-28-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emptyglass68 View Post
Previous attempts always failed when I felt better, however now I have a medical condition caused by my alcohol abuse, my Cardiologist is telling me i need to stop, so here I am again, I am worried in a week though when I feel better the cycle will start over.
Speak to them again and refer you to a rehab center, or give your insurance company a call now to see what's available. In the meantime hit up AA meetings daily and of course don't drink, it's literally killing you,...