Notices

It all goes wrong when I feel better.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rupert70 View Post
I've got cardiomyopathy caused by alcohol as well
Hi there, I missed this when I looked earlier. Have you stopped drinking? Doing ok?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR really helped me accept that I was an alcoholic and if I wanted to live and have the life I wanted, I needed to quit and stay quit.

I hope you'll stick around, read and post emptyglass68- this is a great place to help you turn things around

welcome aboard
D
Old 12-28-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Emptyglass,

I am so glad you came and posted. I am sorry for what brings you here. SR is a wonderful place to get support, but sometimes it isn't enough in the beginning. Have you thought about what might best support you?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ991 View Post
Hi there, I missed this when I looked earlier. Have you stopped drinking? Doing ok?
Stopped drinking, doing ok only day 2.
I need to do this!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Emptyglass,

I am so glad you came and posted. I am sorry for what brings you here. SR is a wonderful place to get support, but sometimes it isn't enough in the beginning. Have you thought about what might best support you?
Thanks, I am committed to posting on SR every day.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emptyglass68 View Post
I am 49 years old and I have drank alcohol on an almost daily basis since my teenage years, I have been diagnosed with alcohol cardiomyopathy a disease of the heart. For some time now I have tried to stop drinking alcohol, I stop for a few days and begin to feel better, at this point I begin to drink again? Has anyone come across this situation and if so how do I get past this stage??
Hi eg68. I'm so sorry to hear about your health troubles. It must be very stressful for you. It's great that you've reached out for help. I agree with the other posters. You simply have to stop. It seems like a binary situation for you (I am not a cardiologist). From your repeated short attempts at sobriety, it sounds like you are maybe surrounded by temptation. Perhaps that's one of the things you need to tackle early on. Perhaps think about binning some of the unhealthier relationships in your life? Regardless, in my opinion, you should be heeding the advice of your cardiologist and quitting alcohol completely. Good luck in your recovery.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks, I am committed to posting on SR every day.
emptyglass please join us on the 24 hour thread. It is a lovely welcoming place where we go each day to pledge our commitment to 24 hours of sobriety. Some wonderful caring people there I think you'll like it.

Oh and that's what I did too. Without fail I post to the 24 hour thread. That place has hand-held me through some very dark times.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It all goes wrong when I feel better

.... how do I get past this stage??
I had to take responsibility for my actions. Things never went wrong for me. I made bad choices.
Learning how to make better choices saved my life. I highly recommend it!

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome!

“Feeling better” doesn’t mean you ARE better. Alcohol abuse attacks the heart in many ways, most of them silent and progressive. You know how your heart pounds in the wee hours after you’ve had a lot to drink? That’s a symptom.

I get it, I really do. Atrial fibrillation, arrhythmia, and congestive heart failure run in my family. My mother had a triple bypass in her early 70s despite no risk factors and being active all her life. It’s a major reason I will have two years’ sober this New Year’s day.

You are dancing on the cliff edge, yes?

Your heart has served you well. It deserves better and so do you.