SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Year Weekender 28 Dec 2017 - 02 Jan 2018 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/420910-new-year-weekender-28-dec-2017-02-jan-2018-a.html)

Dee74 12-27-2017 11:54 PM

New Year Weekender 28 Dec 2017 - 02 Jan 2018

Hi guys :)

'scuse the ramble...

I'm not one for New Years Resolutions really- I try to make changes as they're needed - but New Years is as good a time as any to think about what we'd like our year ahead to look like :)

I've always gotten a lot from Richard Bach. One my favourite quotes of his is:

There's elements of Buddhism, Tolle and The Secret in that one :)

If we turn that outwards, its not a million miles away from

so I guess if I'm thinking about it, I hope I can do some good this year.

For me service work is the 2nd tier of my recovery after not drinking or drugging. It's the maintenance of the engine that is my sober life .

and that brings me nicely to the third of of my favourite quotes from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Change, growth, and positivity all start in me.

Of course real change is a process and not an event, and sometimes change takes a little time and patience, maybe even a false start or two.

We should be gentle with ourselves - but determined too I think.

Baby steps are fine if thats all we can manage to start with - as long as we face forward.

The greatest waves can start from the smallest ripples right? :)

what about you guys - what are some of your most wanted changes (inner or outward) for 2018?

D

ulfr 12-27-2017 11:56 PM

Shotgun - happy new year everyone

Red78 12-28-2017 12:14 AM

Thanks Dee, this gave me goose bumps...
I will think about this over the weekend and check back in..

The biggest weekend of the year to get past I think, lets do this together!!!

theVman31 12-28-2017 12:40 AM

Thanks Dee.
Great to be here with you guys for the weekend.
My most wanted change for 2018.... i will have to think about it :)
Im in for the weekend.

ChloeRose63 12-28-2017 12:49 AM

My biggest challenge will be to let go of the past. As much as I move forward I seem to be haunted by the way things were when I was younger.

DarklingSong 12-28-2017 12:51 AM

Thanks Dee and to all on SR for their wisdom and support in the last six months. I am trying to look forward for 2018, no matter what comes. I want more than anything to build greater courage. I don't want to be so frightened of life all the time. To face life in life's terms. Well,that might be more a five year plan, but I may as well start now.
In for the weekend.

saoutchik 12-28-2017 01:31 AM

In.

Thank you Dee. I'm not really one for new year resolutions but I am going to try to eat healthily next year as my arthritis means that I can no longer run as much as before.

Purplrks3647 12-28-2017 03:08 AM

Thanks Dee! Lots to think about.....thanks to SR I'm in MUCH better company than I used to be, so that's always a good place to start.....there are many personal improvements that I need to work on, but none of it will get done if I'm drinking.

I'm in for the weekend! :tyou

SoulShine8 12-28-2017 03:51 AM

I'm in.

Of course real change is a process and not an event, and sometimes change takes a little time and patience, maybe even a false start or two.
I have so many resolutions but the main ones are to eat healthier and to (force myself to) exercise. These are important due to aging - especially how I was aging with alcoholism. I hope to recover some of my health in 2018. The above quote from Dee is something I want to keep in mind though. I am not expecting to accomplish all the things I want to in 2018 but the act of writing these things down gives me a road map of what to do and hopefully a focus on an ongoing process. Not giving up and not being perfect in the pursuit are essential traits I want to step into. If I am not perfect with the health plan, then I will start again tomorrow, the next hour, the next minute, the next second. Yes baby steps can still get me where I wanna go.

Gilmer 12-28-2017 04:28 AM

Thank you for the wonderful opener, Dee! :). So much to jump off of there!

I think this year I need to learn to cut the same slack to myself that I do to others. In the old days I wasn’t capable of much, so I was constantly told I was useless and not pulling my weight.

When I sobered up, I became more willing and able to contribute.

Oddly, seeing such an improvement told me that I truly must have been useless all my life. Even though I am no longer getting negative performance reviews from external sources, I have picked up the chorus in my own heart: you’d better damn well measure up, because otherwise you’re worthless!

I believe that we’ve all got innate worth. Never do I judge others as worthless!

But I always, always feel like I’m one inch away from being deservedly pushed off a cliff.

Maybe it’s just a weird transmutation of the “extraordinary worm” syndrome.

But anyway, I need to just chill out in the upcoming year and be kind to myself.

JustTony 12-28-2017 04:44 AM

https://aninditadhikary.files.wordpr..._5694611_n.jpg

Hawkeye13 12-28-2017 05:41 AM

In
Thanks Dee, and thanks friends for being here and being you

May 2018 bring us all peace, happiness, prosperity, and continued and joyful sobriety

:nyr

BixBees505 12-28-2017 05:46 AM

I am in. Great opener, perfect for the turn of the year.

saoutchik 12-28-2017 05:54 AM

Welcome to Weekenders JustTony!

I have completed a chore for a year and met with my foolish and annoying cousin. Job done and it is not even 2pm:)

STDragon 12-28-2017 06:11 AM

I don't make new years resolutions, but I do have hope/want for change. Naturally I'd like to be more heathly, eat better and loose weight. In the last year, I've had several personal growth events and realizations of the damage my addiction to the drink has wrought. So for the new year I wish for continued personal growth and strengthened bonds with immediate family.

STDragon 12-28-2017 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 6724566)
... the “extraordinary worm” syndrome...

I tried to look this up, but google wasn't very helpfull.....

BixBees505 12-28-2017 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by STDragon (Post 6724674)
I tried to look this up, but google wasn't very helpfull.....

LOL! I did the same thing! Still mystified.

venuscat 12-28-2017 06:32 AM

Hmmm.....I'm doing a week of Richard Bach quotes on the 24-hour thread....coincidence? I think not. :)

I just ordered paperbacks of Jonathan Livingston, Illusions and Illusions 2....Nick has never read Richard Bach and I am excited to share!! :)

Love and good morning from chilly Columbus. ♥♥♥

theVman31 12-28-2017 06:34 AM

This might have nothing to do with the "extraordinary worm" syndrome, Gilmer will tell us but i found this and i like it, a bit long :)

"Once there was this worm eating away at a plant. When the life force of that plant had assisted that worm to grow to its maturity, it manifested from the firmament through its being, a fine thread (we call it silk) and it carefully wove this creative cocoon around itself. There it put itself in a state of suspended animation and morpho-genetically transmuted itself into this fine looking moth--moving from one dimensional form to another--and left the silk behind for mankind to use as a reminder of the true understanding of the transmutation of the various dimensions of life.

Now let's have a look at you. Do you realize you once lived in many different dimensions of time and space, and that you, just like the silk worm, transmuted to and from different forms? Do you realise how unique you are, and that you are one in several million? You were once living a life with millions of others in your own unique world, all with the same type of bodies, yet all separate, and all attempting to survive and move into another higher form of life. The race for this growth of transmutation was on, and then out of the millions of your species, you were the successful one, and you as a singular unit in life followed the universal laws--of like attracts like--yet, life is always seeking its equal opposite, and so the journey was on ... and out of the millions, you succeeded to seek out your equal opposite and, between the two of you, you formed duality and integration."

https://www.holographickinetics.com/transmutation

graciepearl 12-28-2017 07:13 AM

Wow! Thanks for all your posts lots of great food for thought heading into the New Year. For me, I just pray to continue becoming the person God wants me to be. Happy New Year :celebrate