SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Years Resolutions? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/420898-new-years-resolutions.html)

whopper 12-27-2017 06:21 PM

New Years Resolutions?

Anyone making resolutions for the new year? I know mine is to not drink, make friends, find a partner, lose weight, and get a job. Not sure if I can do all these things but some of them can be done. I am going to put in a good effort to make those changes.

RUL23 12-27-2017 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 6724251)
Anyone making resolutions for the new year? I know mine is to not drink, make friends, find a partner, lose weight, and get a job. Not sure if I can do all these things but some of them can be done. I am going to put in a good effort to make those changes.

Accomplish the not drink park and maybe everything else will fall in place 🙂

doggonecarl 12-27-2017 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 6724251)
Not sure if I can do all these things but some of them can be done.

The power to effect those changes lies within you, not in some calendar event.

August252015 12-28-2017 03:24 AM

Keep putting my sobriety first - before my new husband, precious step daughter, work with a recovery group I love, everything! - and LIVING. Not NY resolutions, really- a life plan.

b0glerd69 12-28-2017 04:23 AM

For me, not to drink. Then, not to get so stressed out about work as ultimately, you can only do your best. Also, to get out more, to do more.

hpdw 12-28-2017 04:27 AM

Don't drink
Lose weight
Stop whining

JustTony 12-28-2017 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by RUL23 (Post 6724292)

^^^^This^^^^

But no "maybe" about it for me. I know if I stay sober everything else will fall into place.

Nonsensical 12-28-2017 04:57 AM

Fail at something I've never done before at least once a month.

By this I am defining failure as not reaching my expectations for results. I read recently that if you succeed at everything you do you aren't taking enough risks, and I've decided to take that on for action. I am very excited about it. I learn so much more when I fail than when I succeed.

So, hold my cranberry and diet ginger ale, and watch this...

entropy1964 12-28-2017 06:33 AM

My daughter asked me this. I dunno. I make resolutions each day. I have a small list of them....that I commit to daily. Only one has to be perfect, that's the not drinking daily resolution. Right now the biggest resolution is no sugar. And I'm making progress.

hpdw 12-28-2017 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 6724295)
The power to effect those changes lies within you, not in some calendar event.

Spot on , we are the result of the choices we make whether it be 1st Jan or any other date .

DreamCatcher17 12-28-2017 07:21 AM

I'll be making a dream board on NYE with goals and things to accomplish in 2018!
I love to visualize my goals, I find it to me more helpful.
This year will consist of:
Fitting my pre pregnancy clothes by July, so about 50 pounds to lose
Reducing my debt in half, while not adding to it
Working out 5 days a week
Sticking to my meal plan, unless it's a special occasion, bay, v-day, etc... But to not over indulge
Read a new book every month
Get an AA sponsor
Paint 1 new painting a month, minimum

That's the start of my list, I'm sure I'll add to it with in the next few days!

bossybutt 12-28-2017 07:22 AM

Not drink of course, improve my eating habits and gain 20 lbs, start exercising, end some toxic relationships, do a better job of doing my job duties (amazing how not drinking makes that happen much faster) get my medical and dental things in order

thomas11 12-28-2017 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by RUL23 (Post 6724292)

^^^^This is so true.

MindfulMan 12-28-2017 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nonsensical (Post 6724586)
Fail at something I've never done before at least once a month.

By this I am defining failure as not reaching my expectations for results. I read recently that if you succeed at everything you do you aren't taking enough risks, and I've decided to take that on for action. I am very excited about it. I learn so much more when I fail than when I succeed.

So, hold my cranberry and diet ginger ale, and watch this...

I'm all about getting out of my comfort zone this year.

Drinking did a huge amount to keep me in it. And miserable in many areas of my life as a result.

I've done the quit drinking/quit smoking/lose weight/exercise thing.

#1 is to maintain all of that. It's all related. Adding journaling and more meditation to my life to help stay that way, living in the moment. Depression is shame and guilt about the past, anxiety is shame and guilt about the future.

#2 is to return to work and reintegrate those stressors into my life and manage #1 above.

#3 is new things. First on the list is becoming a motorcycle rider, I have a lesson in 2 hours and taking the class to get licensed the second week of January. It's kinda replacing one addiction with another, but one is external chemically based and the other internal chemically based (adrenaline!).