Notices

Checking in

Old 12-27-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Checking in

Hey everyone

Coming up on three weeks, and the last few days have been tougher than the first two weeks. No urges for drinking, but my emotions are very down, and my anxiety which used to be about health, has turned into worry of getting depressed, and all the things that come with it ((like developing suicidal thoughts(which is ridiculous there is so much beauty in life, and I have been very fortunate my whole life), losing motivation and interest ect.)) My biggest driving factor is many of you, and my family saying that all I need to do is give it time. That it is the biggest healer, and to keep sober and moving forward. I am holding on to that for dear life, and am getting into the gym, meditating, re enrolled in college and going out more(coffee shops, walks ect.)

I am still in it for the long haul. Just a bump in the road.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to hear from you. Stay close!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tubesy, it sounds like you're doing great and keeping things in perspective.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 weeks! I'm sorry to hear your suffering emotionally but am glad it sounds like you have a lot of supportive people around you. I think they are right when they say hang in there, all the healthy choices you are making will eventually pay off! You got this!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thing can and do get better Tubesy - don;t be shy about posting a little more if you need to, as well

D
Old 12-27-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone and I will. It's just tough these last two days, sleeps been good but waking up a lot. Been working on mindfulness and catching the negative thinking.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Still at it, doing well. Still having a lot of problems with negative thinking but I am working at it. I can get through this.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some good ideas here Tibesy

Challenging negative thinking | ReachOut.com Australia
Negative Self-Talk: 9 Ways To Silence Your Inner Critic
Challenging Negative Self-Talk | Psych Central
Positive thinking: Reduce stress by eliminating negative self-talk - Mayo Clinic
Change Your Inner Talk From Negative To Positive
Old 12-30-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks dee, you're helping me more than you know. Sorry for being repetitive with this I am really working on fixing it.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

no reason to apologise - I'm not thinking you're repetitive at all

D
Old 12-30-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ahhh those really helped me understand that its my brain trying to cling onto a new cycle. I had been a weekend warrior for so long. I realize that it is just the AV in my head, I was stupid enough (but was trying to prepare for what was ahead) to read a post of someone in early sobriety who got a deep depression and had suicidal thoughts, so I think my brain went to "Oh no! that will happen to me too!"

I drew a funny, pear shaped monster with scraggly arms and named him my little monster (My AV) and realize that this little munchkin is the one trying to push me back to the drink with these thoughts. I am working out daily, enrolled in college for February, and going to get my GED before that begins. I know as long as I analyze my thoughts and keep moving forward I will be fine.

I thank you SR, and a special thanks to you dee for helping me educate myself, to build gaurds, to deal with all the things that have came, are here and are coming. I will stay close!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love the idea of drawing my AV! Maybe you should start a thread so we can share our masterpieces
Old 12-30-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on three weeks tubesy👍
Old 12-30-2017, 10:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great effort Tubesy.

Love the idea of drawing the AV too. I don't know why but your description of yours made me laugh.

I get dark thoughts at times too. Someone once described it to me like standing with your back to the sea. You just never know when the tide is going to wash over your head....

I do know that my periods of depression seem to be less pronounced the healthier I get and the longer I stay sober. Or maybe my ability to cope with them PROPERLY (not just get drunk) develops more? Perhaps we are more depressed than we know when we are drunk but the feelings are just more acute when we are sober? I'm not sure?

What I do know is that (like you) periods of mindfulness and exercise is important. We have so much good ahead of us if we try and breathe in the opportunities deeply enough don't we?

Strength to you Tubesy.

Regards,

JT
Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend those links to anyone battling negative self talk.
They, or articles and ideas very like them, helped me

D