Notices

Day 5 and it is as hard as ever

Old 12-25-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 and it is as hard as ever

First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope you all have a wonderful, sober day.

Today is gonna be my biggest test. The previous days were also hard but they won't be as difficult as today. It's Christmas and I will be with my immediate and extended famiily today. Last time I drank was on Wednesday night. And it was because of all the BS that happens between the two sides of my extended family (they came over on Wednesday night).

I am from South Africa, and mixed - Apartheid ended a couple of years before I was born, and the old wounds have remained. Being half black/half white here can be akin to traversing a minefield - be careful where you step. I can tolerate the BS that goes on with strangers but when it happend within my own extended family, it really drags me down. There have been family events in the past where it has almost kicked off. I drank on Wednesday because of this - extended family members bickering.

We are having Christmas at our house and my parents haveinformed extended family members if they cannot keep the peace, they should not turn up. I hope this Christmas will be a tranquil one. This racial bickering between extended family members is a huge trigger for me. More so than having friends attempting to drag me out or people in our house drinking in front of me. I know when it starts, getting that glass of wine is so easy for me. It just affects me terribly and I hate that it does.

I hope those extended family members prone to spouting their nonsense, can embrace the spirit of the day. I hope if they don't, I can stay strong enough and refuse to use wine as therapy. I don't wanna wake up hating myself tomorrow.

Have a great day folks.

Love you all.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr

Stay strong and be proud of yourself tomorrow.
Family bickering is not worth your sobriety.

Maybe you will have a great day.
Hope so.

Happy Christmas too.

V.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are right, Vman, it certainly isn't. A fleeting moment of pleasure isn't worth a lifetime of suffering. And that is what booze is - fleeting pleasure that brings on an eternity of hell.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thinking of you tired woman.. stay strong for yourself and remember drinking that wine doesn't help it will only make it worse..
Merry Xmas...
Old 12-25-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just focus on doing what’s best for yourself. If others choose to behave in an undignified way you have no control over that . Don’t let them influence your own decision making. Stay strong and good luck.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

whatever happens today tiredwoman I believe you can stay sober - recovery's nit about never wanting to drink - it's about making the right choices and decisions when faced with that desire.

D
Old 12-25-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Every time you feel the urge - retreat from the gathering and come and post on here for support.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

^^^ What Tony said! I'd even add - IMO and IME, exiting any situation that would emotionally upend me (which leads to the drinking part, IMO) is OK.

Thinking of you today.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

theres nothing a drink will make better.
enjoy the day and if necessary,escape for a bit.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stay strong

Originally Posted by tiredwoman View Post
First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope you all have a wonderful, sober day.

Today is gonna be my biggest test. The previous days were also hard but they won't be as difficult as today. It's Christmas and I will be with my immediate and extended famiily today. Last time I drank was on Wednesday night. And it was because of all the BS that happens between the two sides of my extended family (they came over on Wednesday night).

I am from South Africa, and mixed - Apartheid ended a couple of years before I was born, and the old wounds have remained. Being half black/half white here can be akin to traversing a minefield - be careful where you step. I can tolerate the BS that goes on with strangers but when it happend within my own extended family, it really drags me down. There have been family events in the past where it has almost kicked off. I drank on Wednesday because of this - extended family members bickering.

We are having Christmas at our house and my parents haveinformed extended family members if they cannot keep the peace, they should not turn up. I hope this Christmas will be a tranquil one. This racial bickering between extended family members is a huge trigger for me. More so than having friends attempting to drag me out or people in our house drinking in front of me. I know when it starts, getting that glass of wine is so easy for me. It just affects me terribly and I hate that it does.

I hope those extended family members prone to spouting their nonsense, can embrace the spirit of the day. I hope if they don't, I can stay strong enough and refuse to use wine as therapy. I don't wanna wake up hating myself tomorrow.

Have a great day folks.

Love you all.
It is just family nonsense that you have no
Control over. Don’t make your own nonsense by drinking today! Merry Sober Christmas!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy Christmas, sweetie. Remember, you don’t have to play their game. You can go for a walk, listen to music, help clean up, or just disappear for a while...that’s the one good thing about big family gatherings.

Be strong. You can do this.

Sending you a hug.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Family BS, family trauma, addiction, abuse by family members....etc etc. This is why I moved away from my family. They are nuts. I visit once a year, keep the peace but I keep my distance for my own sanity. I cannot drink 'over' what happens. I'm sure you've heard this one but drinking over or at someone or something is like swallowing poison and expecting the other person to die. Hmmmmmm. Hang in there!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You've gotten great advice so far. I always have an escape plan. If others act up, I leave - truly I can't be around stuff like that, and I don't have to be. Drinking only hurts you, tw.

May you find some joy in this day. Jesus came and his only wish was that we love one another. It's not always easy, though.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That sounds tough--I also had Christmas holidays filled with family
discord--in my case, my mother and Aunt fought bitterly their whole lives.

Let it go and embrace your sobriety
Happy Christmas tw
Old 12-25-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am sorry for what you have been enduring with your family.
It sounds traumatic and quite emotional. I cant say that I know what you are going through, but I do have compassion for you and anyone in your shoes.

The best gift you can give to yourself is to remain sober, level headed and grounded.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Old 12-25-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tiredwoman, Merry Christmas!

Something I've learned here at SR is that many people step away from their families of origin and choose their closest friends as family. That is something that I have done after stepping away from my family of origin ages ago. Do not allow people to enter your home and cause you pain. Your home should be a refuge, a safe place.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you coping TW?
Old 12-25-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You can do this Tiredwoman!!
Old 12-25-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So much great advice here. So much of it which has helped me. I am okay. Goid actually. Everyone seems to be on their best behaviour. I am drinking mango juice. No wine for me!!!!
Old 12-25-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fantastic!! . . . mango juice sounds delicious!!

Great job on pushing through!!