Notices

only just coping

Old 12-24-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

only just coping

This is really hard guys. I've got family here and I'm feeling overwhelmed and really want to drink. They are all drinking. It didnt seem like a bad idea, I dont like drinking in front of them as Ive ruined a few Christmases. It would be worse if I was alone but Im really struggling. Went for a walk and had a good cry. I dont want to ruin everyones time by being miserable and I feel really angry at them all. I've done loads of family occassion sober but something has just gone wrong here. Gabe x
Old 12-24-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's one day. You can make it through 24 hours, right?

Of course you can.

Do you have any friends you can call? Family can be tough at Christmas time, but you don't have to drink at them. Did someone say something that upset you?
Old 12-24-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It's one day. You can make it through 24 hours, right?

Of course you can.

Do you have any friends you can call? Family can be tough at Christmas time, but you don't have to drink at them. Did someone say something that upset you?
Oh, thanks for replying so quickly. Yes I can do it. I know I can. I just needed to reach out.
Nobody said anything. I think I just underestimated how hard it was going to be. And I think they all just assume it easy! I'm to eat something and then have a bath.
I've just started on some anti depressants too and they are making me feel a bit all over the place. I can do 24 hours. Gabe x
Old 12-24-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is the first time Ive come on SR before drinking. Holding on to that too. Its progess
Old 12-24-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats amazing work to reach out!

New antidepressants can really do a number on a person in the beginning. Food and a bath will help. Food especially. You are doing something amazing. Keep going!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, ugh. New prescriptions are weird sometimes! Hang on, early days emotions are all over the place and it's the high-emotions of that and Christmas. It will be okay.

You're doing great! Yes, eat cookies!! Pie!! Take deep breaths.

Try this:

Box Breathing
Old 12-24-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

That's great progress! One day at a time, one minute at a time. Early sobriety is fragile so maybe you could try and do whatever it is you need to do to help yourself feel better. Going for a walk and a cry and sharing it with others are all great coping tools.

I remember sometimes that's all I could do--curl up in a ball and have a good cry out of sheer frustration--like a mini tantrum. But I felt better afterwards.

It gets easier and won't always be like this. You can do it!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Thats amazing work to reach out!

New antidepressants can really do a number on a person in the beginning. Food and a bath will help. Food especially. You are doing something amazing. Keep going!
Hey, thanks. It certainly beat drinking then coming back on here after a relapse. Feel a bit better. I felt like my chest was going to explode. Looking forward to a quiet January watching Netflix.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good on you for coming to SR before drinking Gabe!

It may feel like you're only just coping, but you're actually building those sober muscles. Really.

I hope you are a bit more sorted now, but sometimes a good cry is the release we need before dusting ourself off and moving on.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Gabe. It is so hard to overcome these hurdles and you did so with flying colours. Good on you.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Oh, ugh. New prescriptions are weird sometimes! Hang on, early days emotions are all over the place and it's the high-emotions of that and Christmas. It will be okay.

You're doing great! Yes, eat cookies!! Pie!! Take deep breaths.

Try this:

Box Breathing
Thank you BB. Your a star. It seems to be settling down a bit now. I've been doing meditation every day so the breathing is becoming kinda second nature. It REALLY helps Never wanted Christmas to be over so much in my life. Not very festive!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madbird View Post
That's great progress! One day at a time, one minute at a time. Early sobriety is fragile so maybe you could try and do whatever it is you need to do to help yourself feel better. Going for a walk and a cry and sharing it with others are all great coping tools.

I remember sometimes that's all I could do--curl up in a ball and have a good cry out of sheer frustration--like a mini tantrum. But I felt better afterwards.

It gets easier and won't always be like this. You can do it!
There was definately a bit of a tantrum going on for me. Feeling like its all very unfair and too hard but thats OK. Crying really helps. I think Im going to stay in my room tonight and watch tv. I really hoping tomorrow is better. Its all just takes time
Old 12-24-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Good on you for coming to SR before drinking Gabe!

It may feel like you're only just coping, but you're actually building those sober muscles. Really.

I hope you are a bit more sorted now, but sometimes a good cry is the release we need before dusting ourself off and moving on.
Calming myself down and feeling a fair bit better. Its helps so much coming on here. Not just the advice but the distraction of typing and the contact with everyone. I maybe coped with this better than I think. Thanks Mark.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Well done Gabe. It is so hard to overcome these hurdles and you did so with flying colours. Good on you.
Thanks JT. Each time is a win eh?! 😊
Old 12-24-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe,

I'm so glad you came here and posted before drinking, that shows how much you want sobriety. I'm sharing Dee's link about surviving the holidays, it may be helpful during the next week.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)

You can do this!!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA meetings carry on I've Christmas - they're how a lot of folk manage to not kill their family over the holiday period. Getting out for a walk is a good idea regardless of alcohol - with all the food and so many folk under one roof it's easy to kind of stagnate.

You can do this. Even if it has to be ten minutes at a time.

Stick with it.

BB
Old 12-24-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Gabe,

I'm so glad you came here and posted before drinking, that shows how much you want sobriety. I'm sharing Dee's link about surviving the holidays, it may be helpful during the next week.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)

You can do this!!
Hi Delilah. Thank you. Im feeling alright now, just exhausted. Had a bath and decided to do some nice pampering type stuff tonight. Paint nails, body lotion etc. Feel good for tomorrow. And not worry about tomorrow either. I can deal with that when it comes. I really really want to do this so I'll keep doing my best. Have a lovely Christmas. Gabe x
Old 12-24-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

On some days the best remedy for me is a hot cup of tea, my blankets, Netflix and SR.

This Holiday will pass and you will come out on the other end.

I am glad that you are feeling better and taking care of yourself. A little pampering goes a long way. Rest easy and stay close. You got this!
Old 12-24-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
AA meetings carry on I've Christmas - they're how a lot of folk manage to not kill their family over the holiday period. Getting out for a walk is a good idea regardless of alcohol - with all the food and so many folk under one roof it's easy to kind of stagnate.

You can do this. Even if it has to be ten minutes at a time.

Stick with it.

BB
Thanks BB. I had a bit of a chat with them all and explained how difficult I've been finding things at times. I think it helped as I dont feel I need to hide away. It was feeling a bit isolating but getting out is a definite. Cabin fever is lethal. And I'll stick around here as much as I can 😊
Old 12-24-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Mizzuno;6720208]On some days the best remedy for me is a hot cup of tea, my blankets, Netflix and SR.

This Holiday will pass and you will come out on the other end.

I am glad that you are feeling better and taking care of yourself. A little pampering goes a long way. Rest easy and stay close. You got this![/QUOT

I'm doing just that. PJs, Netflix, tea and chocolate buscuits. I feel I just dodged a bullet. I'll stick around tomorrow and just be careful how I go. I got this! Thank you.