Notices

Is it true?

Old 12-24-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

....... I always drank to get wasted, The only difference over the years is frequency.............

....If the label worries you don't use it - but do acknowledge your problem with alcohol, and IMO you're best to try to accept it's forever.

D
Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
...........I don't identify as an alcoholic anymore. There is no trace of it left in my life. I think of myself as a regular person who has a really good reason to stay a non drinker.
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
..........I'm an alcoholic, for quite a lot of definitions of 'alcoholic'. I'm lots of other things too, so I don't find it helpful to use the label - it's an emotive term & means different things to different people. I'm with Kierkegaard on this one - "to label me is to negate me".
On the above great contributions to the debate:

For me (I didn't reply from my personal perspective in my contribution before) I have had to call myself an alcoholic to others (and inwardly) in order to 'get serious' about abstinence. It is now 'out there'. One day I hope to lose the label - not because I will or won't be one anymore - simply because I hope to have no use for the tag anymore and can simply be someone that chooses not to drink forever.

That's my hope anyway - so long as it never puts me into a complacent and dangerous place.

Regards,

JT
Old 12-25-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don’t apply the alcoholic label to myself. I viewed myself as a liquid - I was only “alcoholic” when I contained alcohol.

I believe twenty years of daily drinking created strong neuronal circuitry in my brain (Hebb’s Law - neurons that fire together wire together - which I call my Booze Beast and its mouthpiece the AV). These loops remain dormant now that I’ve stopped drinking. New circuits are then created due to neuroplasticity, each time I ignore the AV, and engage in positive, life enhancing activities and thinking. This non-drinking supportive neuronal circuitry became stronger and my new norm, a non-drinker.

However, I believe the old dormant alcohol seeking neuronal circuityr, would reactiviate were I to ingest alcohol, such that in a short time....I’d become an alcoholic at the same level that I left off - awash with alcohol, morning to night. That is why I can never moderate or return to drinking, because the old neuronal loops would fire up so rapidly, that I’d be back in the soul destroying pit of alcoholism.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Whatever "it" is, I've got it. I never drank right and I never will so the only thing to do about it is to never drink again.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
On the above great contributions to the debate:

For me (I didn't reply from my personal perspective in my contribution before) I have had to call myself an alcoholic to others (and inwardly) in order to 'get serious' about abstinence. It is now 'out there'. One day I hope to lose the label - not because I will or won't be one anymore - simply because I hope to have no use for the tag anymore and can simply be someone that chooses not to drink forever.

That's my hope anyway - so long as it never puts me into a complacent and dangerous place.

Regards,

JT
I agree. I needed to be an alcoholic to quit. Using the word alcoholic admits that I have no control over my drinking and I don't.
I think part of the problem with my relapse is that I started wondering if I really was an alcoholic. After 7 years I had it under control. Then there was the poster here that said he didn't think anyone who could quit on their own without AA was an alcoholic.
My AV held onto that one. He's wrong. And I made a BIG mistake. Now I'm back to square one,. Struggling again.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was sober as a judge for ten straight years.

One night the thought hit me that I would be able to drink/recover again as when in my twenties.

Was back (and then worse) to where I had left off

TEN YEARS PRIOR

in less than a month.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Yes. Alcoholism is a progressive disorder that never gets better. It doesn't matter if you're sober for a week, a month, a year, a decade,... Just a sip takes you right back to where you were and likely even worse.
Amen..... I was sober for 7 years and I relapsed. I was having withdrawals on day 3. And it took me 6 years to get sober again...
Old 12-25-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Whatever I need to call myself to stay sober....that's what I call myself....
Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You can only label yourself; so if you think this is true then it is i guess? Food for thought though.