SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hard times (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/420668-hard-times.html)

Saeulfr 12-22-2017 03:59 AM

Hard times

Hello. I go by saeulfr. As of today it had been 7months 29 days since my last drink. I've done alright so far but with the holidays here and with my mental health issues I've been struggling. It's hard to get to meetings and when i do it's even harder to say anything as anxiety kicks in. I've been unable to find a sponsor as most of them push the 12 step program (which is a contradictory system to my religion) and Christian beliefs down my throat. This is kinda my last resort before admitting myself to a mental health facility. I can't go back to my routine. I was 2-3 fifths a day of 94proof or higher. Or a bottle of kahula white Russians at a minimum. It was bad enough my friends started calling the liquor store the coffee shop. I just don't know what else to do.

Nonsensical 12-22-2017 04:04 AM

Welcome to Sober Recovery. 7 months + 29 is awesome!

What do you do when you don't go to a meeting? It seems to be working. What more does a meeting provide you? What do you want a sponsor to do?

I always found a lot of comfort in meetings. There's something about the company of people who 'get it'. Lots of people here get it, too. :)

PennyLane76 12-22-2017 06:32 AM

Hello and welcome! I have anxiety issues as well that increase during the holidays. Hold tight as we are on the downstretch now!
Remember how alcohol made everything much worse? I'm over a year now and staying sober during the holidays helped cement my sobriety.

If you feel you need to check in somewhere in order not to drink then do it. Helping yourself is a good thing. Eat a gallon of ice cream, jump up and down, do somersaults outside, read here all day long, whatever works! What other tools have you used during these 7 months?

You can do this!

january161992 12-22-2017 01:18 PM

hi Saeulfr and welcome

in my first year i wasnt willing to follow direction in aa

all i did was go to meeting, not drink and look at the girls

my choice had consequences

i got thrown into a locked psych ward 5150

in the psych ward i was given the gift of willingness to follow direction

i no longer needed to question every damn thing

meetings
sponsor
steps
service to others
higher power

God bless

:tyou

:Xmasmca :Xmascb

least 12-22-2017 01:23 PM

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober time! :scoregood

Saeulfr 12-22-2017 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nonsensical (Post 6717252)
Welcome to Sober Recovery. 7 months + 29 is awesome!

What do you do when you don't go to a meeting? It seems to be working. What more does a meeting provide you? What do you want a sponsor to do?

I always found a lot of comfort in meetings. There's something about the company of people who 'get it'. Lots of people here get it, too. :)

Well 15 miles to the closest liquor store and only one vehicle between 2 of us helps. And I game alot. No need for landscapers here really. Was court ordered so we for awhile also. But due to my mental health issues I don't find comfort in the meetings. That and 99% of the meetings here are mostly Christian based unfortunately. Lord's prayer and and that stuff doesn't sit well with me as I'm an odionist. And the same issues make it where I don't really have people I can talk to. I honestly have nothing now that my girlfriend ended things. Nobody and nowhere to go. I find myself crazing a drink because I honestly have nothing else

Nonsensical 12-23-2017 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Saeulfr (Post 6718097)
I honestly have nothing else

Make or find something else.

Life is empty UNLESS YOU FILL IT with something.

Go to the animal shelter, clean cages, and play with the cats.
Find your community theater and volunteer to usher.
Serve soup at the homeless shelter.
Check out meetup . com and crash the next meetup in your area.
Take a cooking class.

Its a big world - go find your tribe. :You_Rock_

Mattq2 12-23-2017 04:59 AM

Congrats on seven months. When I quit drinking I had to search for new activities to keep me busy. I tried diffrent things and found some that I liked. You have a great start with seven months sober. I hope you stay with it