SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   5 minutes at a time tonight.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/420660-5-minutes-time-tonight.html)

Red78 12-21-2017 11:52 PM

5 minutes at a time tonight..

9pm Friday night, holiday time and normal party time.. my partner, my normal drinking buddy, is drinking and I am taking my night 5 minutes at a time and I am struggling.. stressful day with wine given as xmas pressies today at work.. I'm about to scrub the bbathroom whilst drinking ginger beer.. fingers crossed...

tiredwoman 12-22-2017 12:13 AM

DON'T give in. Last night was extremely testing for me too. Ended up sleeping after 3am and was craving real bad. But I prevailed. So glad I did. Woke up feeling great and optimistic this morning. Don't undo all that hard work. Find something to make you busy in order to distract your mind.

You can do this.

Dee74 12-22-2017 12:15 AM

Hi red- if you need reinforcement go reread some old threads or post to someone else struggling.

Try and remember what taking a drink means to guys like you and me, and why you want to change - you can do this :)

D

Red78 12-22-2017 01:05 AM

Scrubbed the bathroom, scrubbed the rubbish bin, now wrapping Xmas pressies and still only drinking ginger beer!

Red78 12-22-2017 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by tiredwoman (Post 6717092)
DON'T give in. Last night was extremely testing for me too. Ended up sleeping after 3am and was craving real bad. But I prevailed. So glad I did. Woke up feeling great and optimistic this morning. Don't undo all that hard work. Find something to make you busy in order to distract your mind.

You can do this.

Thanks tiredwomam.. I've survived all night so far, I'm sure I can get thru the rest.. it can be so tough sometimes though.. it's kinda like craving a ciggie..

tiredwoman 12-22-2017 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Red78 (Post 6717110)
Thanks tiredwomam.. I've survived all night so far, I'm sure I can get thru the rest.. it can be so tough sometimes though.. it's kinda like craving a ciggie..

Very, very rough. It's so hard to fight it. Your mind knows this stuff is sheer poison but you still crave it. I've always said addiction, at its core, doesn't make sense. You keep going back to something that destroys your life. It's absurd, really.

So happy you have managed to stay away from booze. Remember, when you wake up, you will feel so good - both mentally and physically. Definitely worth it.

Red78 12-22-2017 01:38 AM

Absurd really isn't it.. I've been battling smoking since i was 12, on my 8th aattempt which has lasted about a year so far.. every time I start again it's froma getting drunk and having a ciggie and every time it tastes foul and I wake up regretting it but it slowly creeps back into my life..
But unlike drinking I am well aware that I won't be a social smoker, it doesn't work I either smoke or I don't, my AV isn't allowing me to have that full realisation yet and maybe it's me being scared to fully admit that just yet..

tiredwoman 12-22-2017 01:47 AM

I have a friend who always attempts to quit smoking, but he always relapses when he drinks. He's actually not an alcoholic, but as soon as he has had a glass, he whips out a cigarette. He says he doesn't quite feel comfortable drinking without smoking. He says it feels like something is missing when he is drinking and there is no tobacco.

Red78 12-22-2017 02:00 AM

It's funny that society calls weed the gateway drug when in reality that drug is alcohol.. with alcohol in the system we will do anything.. smoke, take other drugs, give away our bodies, our integrity, our every thing..
I've struggled with them all over the course of my life and alcohol is by far the wworst for me...

Tonymblue 12-22-2017 06:19 AM

Hang in there.

Dee74 12-22-2017 02:06 PM

Hope the rest of the night went well and you had a good nights rest Red :)

D

Red78 12-22-2017 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6717919)
Hope the rest of the night went well and you had a good nights rest Red :)

D

Thanks Dee.. I survived it, good sleep but woke with a headache.. now to survive ttoday lol

Dee74 12-22-2017 04:23 PM

You can do it Red :)

D

Hawkeye13 12-22-2017 04:29 PM

Each day will get easier Red

Imagine how great you will feel when the toxin is out of your system,
your head is clear, and you have nothing to worry or feel bad about
from your actions when you drank the night before.

Sobriety is not deprivation-it is freedom :)

canguy 12-22-2017 05:25 PM

Good one Red.

Red78 12-22-2017 07:05 PM

Right now all I can say is that this is a struggle in my head, all day battling wwith my AV, it is fighting for every second of my attention... but so far it hasn't won... it will be a miracle if I make it too boxing day unscathed..

dwtbd 12-22-2017 07:31 PM

No need to battle , let IT whine , bitch and moan, just ignore It. You call the shots , all It can do is whine. Like a toddler throwing a tantrum it will wear itself out and slink away.
The option for more booze is offf the table for good , yeah? IT is uncomfortable with that decision , not YOU, yeah? YOU don't regret not drinking last night , yeah?
I have yet to regret not drinking last night and my AV always regrets me not drinking tomorrow :) but so what , IT can go to hell , I'm done putting myself there :), keep truckin , Rootin for ya

Dee74 12-22-2017 07:50 PM

^ I agree. Don't engage.

Are you around drinkers again today?

D

Red78 12-22-2017 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6718273)
^ I agree. Don't engage.

Are you around drinkers again today?

D

I was.. just went to my aunties and I always drink at her house and she offered me and I said no, hard as everyone was outside in the sun having a few... gonna do something with my partner and his kids who are 14 & 18, they will be going to their mums for Xmas, so I might be safe for the rest of the night..

Dee74 12-22-2017 11:22 PM

There's some good ideas here Red if you've not seen this link:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html