Notices

Day 4... will I ever stop feeling exhausted?

Old 12-20-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4... will I ever stop feeling exhausted?

I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. After I stopped drinking it feels like no matter how much sleep I get my body is demanding more, it's hard for me to wake up in the morning and I just feel exhausted all day does that ever go away?
Old 12-20-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does go away.

I felt pretty awful on and off for months. My sleep became more regular and more restful after a couple weeks, though.

Try to get 30 minutes of exercise, and eat good well balanced meals - food is the great healer. I was able to exercise after that first few days of detox and it helped regulate my sleep. Make sure you're staying hydrated, too. Gatorade is good in that first week along with water.

You're okay. It's just uncomfortable for a while, and it's so worth it to be rid of it. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness - because I was.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always felt better after day 5 - hang in there
Old 12-20-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Hi,
I think its the healing process.
You are in the early days it will get better.
I think bimini sums it up there " I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness - because I was."
Old 12-20-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by KG77 View Post
I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. After I stopped drinking it feels like no matter how much sleep I get my body is demanding more, it's hard for me to wake up in the morning and I just feel exhausted all day does that ever go away?
My sleep on Day 2 was for an hour at a time. On day 3 I am having strange dreams. This whole experience is a nightmare. Today I am forcing myself to get cleaned up. I have been neglecting everything.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the farther away you get from that last drunk the better you will feel! it is VERY early days, don't expect too much too soon.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you. I am 17 days sober...the first week I was so unbelievably tired. I still feel very tired but it is getting a little better.

I also used to notice that when I drank I had energy, but it was really just fake energy from my nervous system being fried. When I had a night off the booze, the next day I would be asleep all day.

You are "catching up" on a lot of rest that you hadn't been getting when you were drinking.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by sickofthiscrap View Post

I also used to notice that when I drank I had energy, but it was really just fake energy from my nervous system being fried.
That's exactly my problem. The beer is food and fuel. I get crazy energy. I think I get creative, too. I go into my own little "amusement park" and stay for days. When I decide I had enough I stop and suffer. And also pray I didn't cause too much damage.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It gets better despite it being so tiring and hard at first.

Still - it beats sweating and shaking like a dog at a firework display every morning doesn't it? Let's NOT forget the alternative.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 5 was a turning point for me.

It takes patience getting through the early days. Make sure you eat well and get some exercise if you can.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been doing my best to eat well and every couple hours... I am home and still going strong on day 4. Cravings not nearly as bad as last night... in fact i barley have noticed them today. Will probably try and turn in early tonight as we are supposed to get a few inches of snow over night, so it would be a good idea to get up and leave early... some thing I have NOT been doing for the last 3 days 😅😅
Old 12-20-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this! I'm on day 3 and e.x.h.a.u.s.t.e.d. This isn't my first sober rodeo, somehow I forgot about this part!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I, too, eat alittle something when I get hungry. Use to grab a beer to fill me up from the bubbles. It made me feel like I ate something.It is amazing that food can be satisfying. It has also nourished me. My enery is going up.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
Thank you for posting this! I'm on day 3 and e.x.h.a.u.s.t.e.d. This isn't my first sober rodeo, somehow I forgot about this part!
It surprises me EVERY TIME! I will never figure out why expect different results when I do the same old thing! INSANITY! 🙄 Here's hoping that none of us whether on day 1 or day 1001 ever have to do it again.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I, too, eat alittle something when I get hungry. Use to grab a beer to fill me up from the bubbles. It made me feel like I ate something.It is amazing that food can be satisfying. It has also nourished me. My enery is going up.
I didn't drink to stop being hungry... it was more like I had "drunkorexia" I could go for days at a time putting nothing in my body but alcohol... no wonder I'm exhausted! Not taking care of yourself really takes a toll...
I am glad we are taking care of ourselves again!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I understand 'drunkorexia,' KG. I would never eat when drinking; I didn't want anything to get in the way of my buzz. I guarantee that things will get better as long as you keep sober--I abused my system relentlessly for a very long time and it takes a while to recover, but our bodies are amazingly resilient. My sleep is better, my energy is back and the neuropathy in my hands and feet went away, as did my rosacea and high blood pressure. I found that B vitamins (particularly thiamine) helped me; alcohol depletes them from our bodies. I am glad you are taking care of yourself again. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.