Notices

Introducing myself, first day sober and on here

Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing myself, first day sober and on here

Hey everyone

I've looked on this site a few times and never signed up because I wasn't ready to be sober. Well today I've decided that I am.

I'm an alcoholic that has been drinking a bottle of wine every night and sometimes 2 or 3 at the weekend for around 8 years.

Withdrawal wise I feel fine right now, off to see the doctor later so I will see what they recommend. Last year at christmas I promised myself by next christmas I wouldn't let myself be drunk again, after spending the whole day sick from a very big bender the night before. And well, it might be a few days away, but better late than never.

One thing I've been asking myself is why I'm an alcoholic. Honestly I don't know, perhaps I just like the feeling of being drunk more than other people. Many people expect me to have some kind of awful reason why I drink, some trigger point, but I don't, I wasn't happy with my life and alcohol made me feel better.

I just cannot and will not go into another christmas and new year as a drunk, this needs to end before it kills me off.

My mind is a little muddled and I know that wasn't much of an introduction! But hopefully I'll get to know you all in time.

Pleased to meet all of you =)
Old 12-21-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sarah You'll love it on here and great decision!
Your introduction was just fine too
Old 12-21-2017, 02:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Sarah and welcome!

Sober Chrismas!

Old 12-21-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Good going, Sarahsays! You don't have to be a drunk if you don't want to, that's for sure. Sobriety is the way to go, it'll help you get where you want to be.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah, welcome to SR! Hope your first day goes well!!
Old 12-21-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah, you intro was good we all understand how you feel and what a brilliant time to make this decision .
Old 12-21-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sarah!
Old 12-21-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Sarahsays View Post
One thing I've been asking myself is why I'm an alcoholic. Honestly I don't know
It's perfectly normal to wonder, "Why me?" But sobriety isn't contingent on getting the answer. What is contingent is accepting that you are an alcoholic and accepting that the solution is never drinking again. Ever.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sarah. There’s lots of great support on here. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Sarahsays!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah. Glad to have you. Like your resolve.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah and welcome to the site. You'll find many people here who struggle with similar issues.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gratefully recovering

Hi Sarah, Well done for getting to that place of surrender. It's loads better being sober - I've been sober for 13 months and can honestly say its the best thing I have ever done. Like you I was very much wondering "why me?" when I first got into recovery. However I quickly learned from reading the Big Book of AA that I am physically, mentally and spiritually different from other people. I have a spiritual malady and a physical allergy to alcohol combined with a mental obsession. It's up to you of course but I would definitely recommend getting to a meeting of AA. There you will find loads of support, love and acceptance and you will soon be at complete peace with being an alcoholic and all that this means for you.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I ditto rosiesouls. Go to an AA meeting asap. This disease needs help of others....you can't make it on your own. I've only been sober 41 days, but I do know how very much AA helps. I enjoy going to the meeting. All the folks seem like family. Yes, you'll hear some pretty sad stories, but these stories are turning into the greatest thing possible....being SOBER. We sometimes cry together, but we also laugh a great deal too.

I'm told that most AA folks recommend going to 90 meetings in 90 days. I go to five meetings a week and am doing fine with that. I just got a sponsor last week and what a help that is! Start looking for someone you think would make a good sponsor for you. Buy AA The Big Book - it's our Bible. I also recommend Daily Reflections and Living Sober.

Take ONE day at a time. Ask for guidance daily. Good luck and God bless you during your recovery.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah. I feel like I'm in the same boat as you.. just signed up today after laying on my couch crying all morning.
I'm already dreading Christmas parties where alcohol will be so freely available.
All the best.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Gratefully recovering

Hi Flower 714. Do not despair. You are not alone. Many of us know the pain of realising that we have a problem. There is a solution... one day at a time, we do not need to take that first drink. We recover in mind, body and spirit, one day at a time. As I said before, I highly recommend AA meetings. Physically being around other recovering alcoholics has a magical effect - the energy of the rooms is healing power. I may sound like a crazy person but I am 13 months sober, one day at a time. If it could work for me - someone who was getting arrested in the final days of my drinking for violence inblack out - it can work for you too. Wishing you all the best. You are just where you need to be right now. It gets better. I promise.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah and Flower
Old 12-21-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You won't regret getting sober for good.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! I appreciate your welcoming words. I've known for a long long time I have a problem. It was apparent the first time I drank at 15. I've been drinking consistently for 12 years now. I'm 31. I have the opportunity to create a good life for myself, but I'm so afraid I'm going to ruin it because I can't control myself.
I'm hanging on by threads.
But I think I finally see what is meant about letting go. I can't do it alone. I've tried. For twelve years.
Thank you.. I'll look into AA for sure. It's scary. But the prospect of losing everything I care about is scarier.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sarah
SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you do the same

Welcome aboard

D