Notices

Not sure where to post

Old 12-22-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Not sure where to post

I am a recovering A. I am very worried about my A brother (posted in the Family and Friends section). He has had multiple heart attacks, stents, triple by pass surgery and diabetes. He weighs way over 300 lbs. And he drinks several tumblers of vodka nightly. I think he is a dead man walking. I and many others have tried to talk him out of his ways to no avail. So I am feeling this is adversely effecting me as well. I worry about him all the time. I find myself thinking of drinking myself. Doesn't make sense. Any thoughts/ how to handle worrying?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The concern for your brother is understandable. It's tragic, as he doesn't seem to want to change, or can't.

As for it wanting to make you drink...that's the insanity of alcoholism. In recovery we must sit with the sadness and pain that life brings us. Not drink to escape.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My brother is quite overweight and has serious heart / circulatory issues.

This is hard, but an adult has a right to choose their lifestyle
and all the worrying we do won't change that.

Please take care of you and your sobriety--that you can control.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallingStars View Post
I am a recovering A. I am very worried about my A brother (posted in the Family and Friends section). He has had multiple heart attacks, stents, triple by pass surgery and diabetes. He weighs way over 300 lbs. And he drinks several tumblers of vodka nightly. I think he is a dead man walking. I and many others have tried to talk him out of his ways to no avail. So I am feeling this is adversely effecting me as well. I worry about him all the time. I find myself thinking of drinking myself. Doesn't make sense. Any thoughts/ how to handle worrying?
Congratulations on your sobriety! Have you considered attending Al-Anon? There are often "double winners" at Al-Anon and Nar-Anon meetings I've attended. Recovering alcoholics and addicts often have friends and family members who are alcoholics or addicts. It is important for you to safeguard your sobriety and find serenity despite your concern for your brother.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice...