SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Embarrassed but back. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/420558-embarrassed-but-back.html)

nigey1 12-19-2017 10:13 PM

Embarrassed but back.

Hi

Pretty embarrassed to be back here. I have a plan but it seems so much harder and I underestimated how I dwell on stuff and how much rawer things are when u can’t numb them. You actually have to confront the compounded effect from the last 2 years

Still haven’t reached any of the horror stories I read on here but it has been such hard work slowing the fall down that I just feel exhausted.

This is it for me I am just dreading the next couple of months and can’t stop ruminating.

Sorry for the downer it does come with ups just need some smoothing over. Really hope u all have a great Xmas.

Zanna 12-19-2017 10:52 PM

Hi Nigey :) You still have 5 days until Christmas, how about making it a happy and healthy one for yourself :)
I thought I had escaped the 'horror stories' too, but a month after I quit, up popped Type 1 Diabetes. Don't follow my example - it's not fun.

Welcome back!

Forward12 12-19-2017 11:05 PM

You shouldn't be embarrassed to be back here, rather embrace it.

Dee74 12-19-2017 11:16 PM

Hi nigey - sorry to hear you're struggling.

There's really two parts to recovery I think - stopping drinking and then dealing with all the stuff you used to drink over.

The stopping drinking is the simple bit - not always easy but simple. You've done it before - it may seem more difficult this time but the basic rules of engagement stay the same - stop drinking, change you life to reflect that decision and find (and use) support to keep it going :)

If you're having trouble dealing with difficult feelings and/or past events on your own maybe your Dr or a counsellor is a good way forward?

D

JustTony 12-19-2017 11:24 PM

Don't be embarassed.

I relapsed seven times in 2017. Every relapse was followed by a huge period of prolonged drinking.

If it wasn't hard then this forum wouldn't exist (and neither would AA).

You're here so you want freedom from this. Let's work towards a sober Xmas and New Year.

See you in December class?

b0glerd69 12-19-2017 11:41 PM

Welcome back nigey1, I hope you find a solution this time around. My thoughts are that you need to find activities to fill the 'numb, raw' time that doesn't revolve around alcohol or drunks. There are some good threads on this and successes that folks have shared. I'm new to total abstinence and have hooked up with a sober friend I've known a long time and we are going to get outdoors more, fishing, golfing, etc. Good luck.

gatorman 12-20-2017 12:44 AM

Don’t feel embarrassed at all. Embrace the fact you are back. You can do this!

ChloeRose63 12-20-2017 01:57 AM

Glad you are back. Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. We all have been there and we understand. It's all good, mate!;)

nigey1 12-20-2017 02:44 PM

Thanks for the words. I really have to do this. First week nearly down. Just feel like I’m spinning out of control a bit and can’t drink it away and forget. I know this is much better in long term but short term sucks. Then feel bad because a lot of people have it much much worse. I think I need to not overthink and just go each day as it comes. Thanks guys and girls.

Hevyn 12-20-2017 02:51 PM

Good to see you back, nigey. A whole week sober - that's wonderful progress. Keep talking to us - you're never alone.

ulfr 12-20-2017 02:54 PM

welcome back and well done on a week keep going and keep holding on to being sober

Dee74 12-21-2017 06:54 PM

Short term sucks for everyone - thoughts of better or worse aren't really that useful right now I reckon nigey - you've got a problem - you're dealing with it...s'all good :)

Congrats on closing in your first week.

D

Gabe1980 12-22-2017 01:17 AM

I'm a bit of a worrier and feel embarassed at times coming back too. Feel foolish, weak etc. But nobody here is judging. Im only really in my fourth month of properly investing in my recovery and I've still not made it right through completely sober. Just try your best to improve. It sounds like you really want that and you can do it. I'm speaking to a counsellor weekly too. MASSIVE help. I had stuff bottled up from my teens that was destroying my sense of self worth, a big factor in my drinking.

I really hope you start to feel a bit better soon. There is a way forward and a big part of that is investing in your own healing. Best of wishes to you. Gabe x

Toughroad1209 12-22-2017 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by JustTony (Post 6714171)
Don't be embarassed.

I relapsed seven times in 2017. Every relapse was followed by a huge period of prolonged drinking.

If it wasn't hard then this forum wouldn't exist (and neither would AA).

You're here so you want freedom from this. Let's work towards a sober Xmas and New Year.

See you in December class?

I feel the same way...I know i need to stop drinking... My mind just needs a break for the pain I put on myself....I'm a self destructive individual...I really need some piece of mind. Alcohol can literally ruin me, for my health, relationships I have and my finances I splurged on booze. That's not a way to live