Notices

Joining twelve step meetings after many years sober

Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Joining twelve step meetings after many years sober

Hi. I have a question.

I quite drinking and using "on my own" many years ago. Many would say that means I was never an alcoholic or addict to begin with, but I have my doubts. Sometimes I think going to meetings might help me with issues stemming from whatever part of me drew me to drugs and alcohol to begin with, if that makes sense.

Would someone in my position be welcomed in twelve step meetings? Would it even make sense for me to go to twelve step meetings? Full disclosure. I did attend meetings for a while before I was able to quit and I could never quite get in the groove. Having said that, I was only about twenty years old, and I have changed a lot over the years, and obviously grown quite a bit (I was an immature twenty-year-old).

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Tazzie

No reason not to go along and see what fits now. That perhaps is the only way to find out? It may be good to go along to a step or big book meeting as the focus will be on the programme, and from your post, would likely seem to offer the most relevant format for you?

There's also a 12 step forum on SR, and you may find you get responses there too, if you wanted to post there.

Wish you well
Old 12-21-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

There are many routes to keeping sobriety. 12 Step is one of them, and is quite effective for many. And it is the most available.

You have a desire to get and stay sober. That is the only requirement for a 12 Step program. Ypu can try it. If it still doesnt resonate, there are plenty of other secular groups, therapy, medical intervention, etc.

But do SOMETHING if you feel your sobriety is threatened.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Tassie

No experience with AA here either but from what I hear they don't lock the doors - why not check it out?

D
Old 12-21-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tazzie,

The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking. Although you have succeeded on your own and been sober for years, you would be welcome in any meeting I've ever attended. If you have doubts, look for an "open meeting" which is for anyone interested in learning more about AA.