Old 12-19-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don’t do it. Don’t give in to that voice

Don’t do it. Don’t give in to that voice

So I had 29 days 18 hours and I picked up a drink. It is now
19 days later and I am still drinking. I don’t know if this post will help
Anyone out there who is entertaining the idea of picking up a drink
but that is my wish. Don’t do it. It is not worth it. Protect your sober time
with all your might and knowledge. Being an active user sucks.

asixstringnut
Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can stop too. Put it down, make today your Day again. Don't ever quit trying to quit. Come back to it.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SaturatedSeize View Post
You can stop too. Put it down, make today your Day again. Don't ever quit trying to quit. Come back to it.
^^^this.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Give yourself the gift of sobriety. You deserve it! OK, now you remember all the negatives of alcohol. You tried and alcohol effects still are awful. Toss those bottles and cans to the curb, and let 2018 be your time to get healthy!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you stop now, you'll feel fantastic by Christmas, in 7 days
You're worth more than a liquid - don't let it have any more power over you.
Hugs.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I did the same thing last week. I have 2 days sober and am counting the hours. I think it is 50 but, I still feel bad. I had 2 months clean. I could of put the beer down and I knew better. It started a 6 day binge. Drank way too much. I really am worried and scared.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have the power. You are kind enough to care about others, by giving this advice. Care as much for yourself! You did it before, you can do it again.
Stop now. It's the only way to do it. The first step. Then the next. Build a better tomorrow for yourself.

All of us have had setbacks. It doesn't mean it's hopeless. It's not. You can get back.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Six, is something besides alcohol bothering you? I know you've made veiled references to your mother ...some things need to be faced honestly and forgiven if we are ever to get well. Holding on to a sack of rocks is nothing but a heavy burden.

I had that "one thing" that I had decided I wasn't going to be able to get over. That THING that every time I thought about it I went into inner rage/helplessness/hopelessness. Poor me poor me pour me a drink.

For me, getting past that ONE thing was key to beginning a life of healing and recovery and to searching for solutions instead of complaints. Turns out once I faced that one thing all the other things got fixed too. I know you aren't one to really complain on here, and I am not asking you to bare your soul to us - but we all have that thing. That relationship or event that changed us or takes us to that dark place of feeling really bad.

I found solace in the Bible and in reading a lot of self-help books and in writing in a private journal while I was still in pain and still drinking.

Something has to give. This is no life for you. Whatever it is, find a way to let it go and/or forgive it. There is no other way but through.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just try for one day sober? Then two? Build up that momentum again. That always helped me in the past.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Six, is something besides alcohol bothering you? I know you've made veiled references to your mother ...some things need to be faced honestly and forgiven if we are ever to get well. Holding on to a sack of rocks is nothing but a heavy burden.

I had that "one thing" that I had decided I wasn't going to be able to get over. That THING that every time I thought about it I went into inner rage/helplessness/hopelessness. Poor me poor me pour me a drink.

For me, getting past that ONE thing was key to beginning a life of healing and recovery and to searching for solutions instead of complaints. Turns out once I faced that one thing all the other things got fixed too. I know you aren't one to really complain on here, and I am not asking you to bare your soul to us - but we all have that thing. That relationship or event that changed us or takes us to that dark place of feeling really bad.

I found solace in the Bible and in reading a lot of self-help books and in writing in a private journal while I was still in pain and still drinking.

Something has to give. This is no life for you. Whatever it is, find a way to let it go and/or forgive it. There is no other way but through.
I need to pray again.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You came on here to try to help a bunch of strangers by warning them to protect their sober time.

That guy in the mirror deserves the same compassion and consideration from you.

Dump it out.
Sleep it off.
There's work to be done.
You're the man to do it.
Get after it.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Asixsrtingnut, we wondered where you were over on the November thread. Come on back on & rejoin us? We are all supporting each other, we can support you too.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post
I don’t know if this post will help
Anyone out there who is entertaining the idea of picking up a drink
but that is my wish. Don’t do it. It is not worth it. Protect your sober time
Your post does help in the sense that it reminds us how critically important it is to take our sobriety seriously.

What would help even more is if you decided to quit now and make a concerted effort to make today the day you start getting better. What's stopping you from doing that do you think?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

SixstringNut: If you can stay free from the poison for 29 days, you can do so for 29 weeks and then 29 months!
\Thanks for the good lesson and reminder that even just one drink retrievers the addiction --retriggers the cravings, the desire, the compulsion and the insane thinking that its Ok to "have a few"...

Just stay free from the poison for 24 hours. See what happens.
Be well my friend...
Old 12-19-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by Strugglingtoget View Post
SixstringNut: If you can stay free from the poison for 29 days, you can do so for 29 weeks and then 29 months!
\Thanks for the good lesson and reminder that even just one drink retrievers the addiction --retriggers the cravings, the desire, the compulsion and the insane thinking that its Ok to "have a few"...

Just stay free from the poison for 24 hours. See what happens.
Be well my friend...
That sounds like a good plan. Right now I am still counting hours. Hoping to feel better on Day 3. It has been rough because I have anxiety. The alcohol detox is making it worse. My head is dizzy still. Sleep comes in one hour ar a time. Why did I do this to myself.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
That sounds like a good plan. Right now I am still counting hours. Hoping to feel better on Day 3. It has been rough because I have anxiety. The alcohol detox is making it worse. My head is dizzy still. Sleep comes in one hour ar a time. Why did I do this to myself.
Sometimes we need to make it 15 minutes at a time. We cannot get to that better place without passing through where we are now. We can go forward or backward.
Going backward to drinking only made my drinking worse each time and my attempted recoveries that much harder! The lesson is straightforward: alcohol is an addictive poison; even just one drink retriggers our cravings, desires, compulsions and messes drastically with our brain, such that under the influence of the poison, we think its gonna be OK to have "just a few"! We must avoid the first dose of poison!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was just about to post a thread about 'fleeting thoughts of a drink or two tonight'. I've been deep cleaning my house for a holiday party I'm hosting and needed to run some errands a few minutes ago. The thought of grabbing a bottle of vodka for a "couple tonight and just drink like a normal person throughout the holidays popped up." I have a fully stocked bar at my house,minus beer(my DOC),but it's not what I thought about. I thought about swinging by the liquor store and buying my old cheap vodka. I have vodka here,but it's not my goto. So, I came on here to talk it out and wait 20 min, then hit up a meeting before I run my errands. No offense to you,but I know I would be drinking waayy longer than 12 days(NYE) if I get that cheap bottle of vodka. So, thanks for your honesty and I hope you can get back to day1 after today.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Six - you deserve help and support too, man - how can we help you?

D
Old 12-19-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Man, i know. There is no worse feeling than breaking your sobriety. Thanks for the post. Now get back on that wagon.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks to you all for the support and words of encouragement. I am making today my day one alcohol free.
It is not going to be easy to stop as I have been drinking pretty heavy the last three weeks.
Than you all

asixstringnut