Notices

60 days in and failed, NO faltered

Old 12-16-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

60 days in and failed, NO faltered

Hi everyone,
Made it 60 days sober yesterday and drank last night. I knew it was coming, and I gave myself every excuse to make it ok. You have done great Donny, you got this. You deserve to relax like everyone else. You are getting engaged tomorrow to the most amazing woman on the planet, enjoy it. Yes I am proposing to my longtime girlfriend today and I am so happy about that and blessed beyond my wild dreams to have this person in my life, yet I stumbled. This does not define me nor will it ruin me and my day. I screwed up, had 3 beers, woke up mad at myself but just ready to move on. I have received so much love and support here and just needed to confess to all of you and move on and keep growing💜
Old 12-16-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The 60 days are not lost.

In my mind you are right to say 'faltered' and not 'failed' - but now it is time to put down the beer again.

Regards,

JT
Old 12-16-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you came back Donny. The best thing you can do is learn from this. For example, what do you think you could do differently next time you tell yourself that you "deserve" a drink? Do you have any sort of plan/program/routine that you follow to address your addiction every day?
Old 12-16-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Donny. I had 5 days and last night I stumbled - badly. I have the worst anxiety and fear today and I am sick to my stomach that I have let this happen. I am also determined to pick myself up and keep trying, I know how you feel.

Last night when I felt the urge, I was going to post but instead I talked myself out of it with the same logic you have described here - ‘it’s Christmas; you’re catching up with friends; it will only be a few’. Foolish and dangerous words from the manipulative AV.

All we can do is remember these feelings and remind ourselves how dangerous it is to allow the AV to have a free narrative.

Congratulations on your engagement - pick yourself up, focus on the positive and stay determined that this time will be the final time ‘starting again’.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As others have mentioned, maybe analyze what went "wrong" and try and avoid it in the future. I agree with you on the F word. Fail is a strong word, we don't fail if we keep trying.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Just went to workout, clear my mind and move on. I am by no means taking what I did lightly, but I Think the best thing for me is to move on and stick to one day at a time and know I am not going to drink today and go from there. Love to each and everyone of you who helped me get to this point and I will be staying close
Old 12-16-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That’s exactly the right thing to do - remember the disappointment and the negatives but don’t dwell. Use this experience to fuel your sobriety efforts going forward. Keep posting and reading - this is a fantastic community and when I was actively engaging with the forums I managed to get 3 months, the happiest I’d been in years.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One does not fail unless they stop trying. Never give up.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Donny,

I'm glad you came right back today, and are focusing on one day at a time. Congratulations on the engagement, can't wait to hear his it goes.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Donny move on by all means and don't wallow but give some thought to what happened as well.

What made you drink? Fear? a desire to be normal? stress relief?

You don't want to face this again.

D
Old 12-16-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on the engagement.
Good on you for coming back and drawing a line in the sand.

Don’t want to sound positive that you drank but well done on stopping at 3 beers. There is no way I would have.