Notices

Question about others elivated liver enzymes

Old 12-15-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about others elivated liver enzymes

Hello all.

Long time alcholoic here trying to recover. Currently trying the sinclair method using Naltrexon. Not sure it will work but im trying.

Long story short I needed blood work for a dermatologist apt. I figured something wouldnt come back good and of course it didnt. He said my liver panel was elevated.

For those who also had this could you post what yours were and if they were considred extremely high or if it was related to cirrosis etc. I was told to just get retested in a month but as you can imagine it worrys the heck out of me that ive permanently cooked my liver.

Ive done a lot of dumb things in my life and this is the worst. I cant imagine that im about to turn 40 and might have damaged my liver. Alcohol is one thing that is unlike anything else I have encountered. It has such a grip.

Well thats enough of my crying over my stupid mistakes.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you drink within a few days of the test they will def be high. I took a week off and they came back normal. All depends how long you drink and how much etc and everyone is different. I’d stay away from booze for the month and get retested. The liver is very strong but can only take so much
Old 12-15-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RUL23 View Post
If you drink within a few days of the test they will def be high. I took a week off and they came back normal. All depends how long you drink and how much etc and everyone is different. I’d stay away from booze for the month and get retested. The liver is very strong but can only take so much

Also I believe an ultrasound is only thing that can really diagnose the issue. Some people have normal liver enzymes but have an issue. I was found to have a fatty liver and had normal liver enzymes for years.

Now I’m not drinking and eating healthy to reverse the fatty liver
Old 12-15-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RUL23 View Post
Well I definitely drank the day before the test.. Heck I think I drank right before it.

Anyways hopefully this Nal works as im sooo tired of this stuff controlling me.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alcx View Post
Well I definitely drank the day before the test.. Heck I think I drank right before it.

Anyways hopefully this Nal works as im sooo tired of this stuff controlling me.
Then they will be elevated no matter what...take it easy and retest in a month.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

al,

Prayers.

I sit here worrying about such nonsense and there are folks worrying about cirrhosis.

I relate to your suffering mainly. I somehow managed to break the grip of physical addiction after 40 plus years of binging.

Mentally, I am still healing. I could end up dying from what I did to my body, but I am off the booze at least and nearly med free.

I relate to craving as well. I crave a bit each day, but I don't give in.

I remember the hell I came out of. It took over 2 years to get to this state of grace and it is amazing.

I still obsess like a wack job, but focusing on the present, trying to enjoy what I have built, and planning for the future are my go to moves when I get into my obsession funk.

That pales in the light of what you are facing.

I will offer that stopping drinking and getting clean took 2 years. I had blood work done recently and I have entry level high BP and cholesterol.

I am on meds for both, potentially for the rest of my life.

Again, nothing compared to your situation.

Someone will come along and offer something helpful I hope.

Telling you to be strong etc. doesn't do much. It is ok to cry. I have cried like a baby several times since beginning my sober life.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
al,

Prayers.

I sit here worrying about such nonsense and there are folks worrying about cirrhosis.

I relate to your suffering mainly. I somehow managed to break the grip of physical addiction after 40 plus years of binging.

Mentally, I am still healing. I could end up dying from what I did to my body, but I am off the booze at least and nearly med free.

I relate to craving as well. I crave a bit each day, but I don't give in.

I remember the hell I came out of. It took over 2 years to get to this state of grace and it is amazing.

I still obsess like a wack job, but focusing on the present, trying to enjoy what I have built, and planning for the future are my go to moves when I get into my obsession funk.

That pales in the light of what you are facing.

I will offer that stopping drinking and getting clean took 2 years. I had blood work done recently and I have entry level high BP and cholesterol.

I am on meds for both, potentially for the rest of my life.

Again, nothing compared to your situation.

Someone will come along and offer something helpful I hope.

Telling you to be strong etc. doesn't do much. It is ok to cry. I have cried like a baby several times since beginning my sober life.

Thanks.
Thank you for your post. It has seemed to ease my mind a little. I am going on 6 months sober after almost 40 years of alcohol addiction. I am going in for the "test" in January. I have given my liver over 6 months by then to go through the healing process. I don't think I have anything wrong, as I never experienced any symptoms, but like you said, getting an ultrasound done as well will reveal if there is anything going on. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whenever my liver was high, I just retested a couple weeks later (no alcohol) and the numbers returned to normal. This happened several times...thank god I don't abuse my liver anymore.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tested high for the first time in my life back in May. It scared me from drinking for a few days, until it didn’t - I went right back to drinking. Thankfully, my drinking got worse. I know that’s a weird statement, but it got worse enough for me to realize I needed real help. I entered treatment - intensive outpatient. I haven’t had a drink since August 6th. I am so excited to tell my doctor this Thursday and redo my blood work.

Now, I am not a doctor or a therapist, but having spent a few months with some who specialize in this disease and its treatment, I would suggest thninking twice about the Sinclair method. I researched it and wanted it to be true - a pill that can make me drink normally or that would re-wire me sounds amazing. It’s not for me, though. Total abstainence and recovery of my life and thought process was the way to go, and it is possible. Can it work for you? I really, genuinely hope it does. That would be amazing for you in so many ways. If it doesn’t, there is still hope!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi alcx - welcome

have you stopped drinking? I think that alone can make a massive difference over time.

D
Old 12-16-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

the liver is an incredibly forgiving & self-healing organ, right up to the point where it isn't any more. I've had enzyme counts 20x what they should be & come back from it - others might not have the same experience. I'm not a doctor, but if you've got elevated enzyme levels & you're still drinking, then you're giving your liver an uphill task.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
the liver is an incredibly forgiving & self-healing organ, right up to the point where it isn't any more. I've had enzyme counts 20x what they should be & come back from it - others might not have the same experience. I'm not a doctor, but if you've got elevated enzyme levels & you're still drinking, then you're giving your liver an uphill task.
Yes I started thinking about this exactly. Im typically a light beer drinker. So yesterday while taking the NAL I switched to that Bud 55 beer which has about half the alcohol of a typical light beer. I figured if I was going to drink might as well try beer with less alcohol. So today I woke up and thought about trying the NAL with non alcoholic beer. So out I went to pic up some Odouls and have been sipping it while on the NAL. My thougts are maybe I can just drink the non alch beer and the NAL will curb the cravings. Who knows but im going to see if this helps. Is non alch so cant hurt i figure. So far its its not a bad beer really.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Also taking some B12 and Milk Thistle.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Al,

It's so hard to quit. Once i had the education, i had a fighters chance.

Now that I am 3 years sober, minus 4 months since my last little medicinal slurp, thing are really changing.

I am stronger physically and mentally. Altercations that used to throw me into spin now are laughable.

When i quit i had agoraphobia. I would have probably got thrown in the looney bin if i explained how i felt to a Dr. back then.

I honestly can't ever recall feeling like this. I basically drank off and on since i was a small child.

I understand if you are struggling stopping completely. The double whammy of both physical and mental addiction is a tough one to crack. I still struggle w the mental side daily.

But, sobriety is liberating. I am getting ready to see a late show here in town. I will not get home until after 11 pm.

When i was a drunk, i couldn't see these shows. I was trapped in my house....drunk as a skunk.

Glad that is over.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Alcx,
I think the most important thing to do is to stop drinking if you hadn't already. The liver is a great organ for regenerating if you give it the chance. My levels were very high in early 2016. I had monthly tests and the levels gradually came down until they returned back to normal around my 4th month of not drinking. Good luck and keep coming back