Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Just need to be honest, so I can get through this day...scared witless!

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been battling booze for almost 25 years. I finally came clean to my wife, which felt great, but totally sucked. I hated hurting her. But, maybe now she can get the husband she deserves. I am not dead yet! :-)

I have lost a number of jobs because of alcohol. I am overweight. I am scared. My health surprisingly is good. I was just in the hospital and got a good report. But, still I am scared.

Work has me and my wife apart for most of the year. And, when I am away from her, I have tended to make bad choices.

Just looking for support today.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome OldCoach. I think you've made a good choice...and the community here can help you along the way to keep making them if that's your intention. I drank for the better part of 3 decades too and I understand how scary it seems to be moving forward without alcohol. I could not fathom it myself, I had a beer in my hand literally every waking moment of the day except at work.

Take a look at adding things to your life to replace the time you spent drinking - there is literally a limitless list of them out there. Even just basic things like getting your life in order bit by bit can be really satisfying. Setting up a simple routine to take a walk every day for example can help with your health, both mental and physical. Reading books or here on SR about recovery or other self-help areas is a great start too. You could join the class of December 2017 thread here too, all you have to do is post and say hello!
Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ScottFromWI.....thats great advice !! OldCoach....you are on the right path! Kudos for coming clean with your wife. You have obviously recognized the problem and you seem to be ready to address it. Have you considered in-patient rehab? AA meetings ? You could replace drinking habits with other things. Get a year membership to the Zoo. Or to a gym. Start SHOWING your wife you mean business about getting clean. Take her out more. Movies, dinner, take a class in something together. Good luck, my friend. Keep us posted.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Old Coach. Glad that you and your wife are finally getting a chance to enjoy life. Without alcohol you will really discover how awesome it is. My marriage has improved infinitely since I quit drinking - I'm sure yours will too. Can't undo what's past - but you can make everyday awesome from here on. You got this.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, OldCoach. I'm a Floridian, too and this place is excellent for advice, information and support from good people who really understand. SR has been of immense help to me in my sobriety. I hope you join the December class and hang around. Best wishes on your sober journey.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by OldCoach View Post
I have been battling booze for almost 25 years.
I realize 'battling booze' is just a turn of phrase, but you may want to step in front of a mirror and take a look at the real battleground.

Welcome to the fight of your life.

You can do this.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome oldcoach.
We are all here supporting each other.
Well done and keep coming back.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome OldCoach,

It's normal to be scared. You have found a great place for support, so I hope that you keep reading and posting.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. This is a great community for working on sobriety.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Old Coach - you're among old friends here

D