Notices

In need of some encouragement.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In need of some encouragement.

I have no desire to drink, that does not worry me. The weekend will be tougher, this I know but I am going snowboarding tomorrow and that excites me.

I just want to know peoples experiences with early sobriety, and mood swings/depression. I am only about a week in, (slipped last Friday with 4 tall boys I was given as a work gift) when I declined the family friend said, 'your 26 live a little'. He meant well. I should have thrown them out at the next gas station. Prior to that i had 3 weeks.

Last year when I quit for 6 months (though I did work with a therapist and had battled crippling health anxiety, which I do not have this time.) I am being hit with mood swings, and self hate thoughts. This is something I am not used to, and it scares me. Has anyone had similar experience, and did it go away?

I know if it doesn't to seek help, but I don't want to cry wolf is this is a temporary state. I will not drink, I know that much is true.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day everyone.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's really a rollercoaster early on Tubesy...and anxiety is very common. If you've sought help before and it worked there is no reason you can't do it again. If you feel it's a problem then it's a problem....no such thing as crying wolf when it comes to your mental health. I'm a health anxiety sufferer too, so I know how horrible it feels. Have you ever tried meditation by chance? It helped me a lot.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're in need of encouragement then post more often. Post when you're tempted to drink so we can talk you out of it.

SR gave me a lot of strength when I felt weak. I got support when I needed it.

Come here often and post how you're doing.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I absolutely hated myself when I stopped drinking. The first few weeks were the worst, and then I started to believe that maybe I would be able to stay sober. My negative feelings were still there, but they diminished bit by bit. I also found that journaling helped me with anxiety and mood-swings.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words. I will tough it out, and try to block myself from overthinking. I will focus on past accomplishments whenever doubt enters my mind. If it continues into the next two weeks I will talk to my doctor about seeing a therapist.

Most of all, I will not drink. I know that it will reset and intensify everything. I can do this! I need to.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like some good plans there Tubesy. Regarding your comment about "blocking yourself from overthinking", I know it sounds like a good idea but trying to fight with your anxiety sometimes can lead to even more. One Analogy that has really stuck with and helped me with anxious/incessant thoughts is called the "River of Thoughts". I learned it from a Podcast a couple years ago ( can't remember which one ), but it goes like this:

Imagine yourself standing on the bank of a river that has a pretty strong current. Think of the water as your thoughts. You have many choices as to how you can handle all of those thoughts - and one of them is to simply let them pass by and flow downstream. You can acknowledge that they are there, you don't have to ignore them...but just let them go downstream. The other option would be to actually wade in the water and try to hold them back....but the deeper and deeper you get, the less power you have and eventually you could drown trying to stop it all from happening.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Tubesy,
Keep your head up! I know early sobriety can be a real bear. I think for me it was important to try and get a routine going. It meant that i had to schedule my day out everyday and try and head off any idle time. I exercised and took plenty of vitamins to combat anxiety, attended meetings (shared) to help with cravings (obsession) and basically made me getting sober a priority. That meant that i may have to exclude myself from social get togethers involving alcohol for awhile so i could protect ME. I also got a sponsor. I know this all seems like alot of work but what i realized is that if i don't have my recovery i don't have anything.
GOOD LUCK!
Garrison
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

Think back to your first experience snow boarding. Was your very first run an Olympic gold medal run? Are you more comfortable with snowboarding now? The first time I went skiing, I couldn't go 10 feet without falling down. Now, I can't remember the last time I fell. It has gotten way easier the more I do it. Sobriety is pretty much the same.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, hope you had a safe weekend.

I made it through the weekend, snowboarding went well but left early as I was feeling a little depressed and anxious, but I am glad I pushed myself to go for a few hours. I even went with my brother and beautiful mother (both very loving supportive people) downtown to the christmas market. I am pushing myself to get out of my comfort zone.

Most importantly, I did not drink. I have planned my week, and will hit a goal daily. I am implementing a new routine, and have told my drinking "buddies" that I have to go my own way. It was hard as they have been friends since we were children, but I have so much life ahead of me, that I have to focus on making the next few years my "maturing" years. I am enrolled at college, and will run my business on the side.

Day by day, I will need you guys especially these next few weeks.

Thanks