Notices

Day 16 sober, more itching than sleep.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 16 sober, more itching than sleep.

This is my first post, and infact the first time I've been off the drink for longer than a week in probably 10 years.

I'm feeling quite itchy most days, my face broke out in a horrible rash, which has cleared up now after daily cleansing and moisturizing with hypoallergenic moisturizer.
The hardest thing I'm finding to deal with is my lack of concentration, memory and energy.. it's like there's a dark cloud over my brain and all of my thoughts are happening in slow motion.. im almost exhausted after being awake for only two hours of a morning...

Is this common? Will it pass? Any tips.
Thanks guys.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome healthy harold

I never had any itching but the rest I can certainly identify with...I didn't feel great my first month but things did get progressively better and month 2 was better than month 1

I know I underestimated the effect my years of self abuse had on my mind and body.

I think the recovery process from that abuse takes as long as it takes...my only tips are common sense ones - eat well, stay hydrated, keep active...those things and time will help

D
Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I had a similar experience. I found that an antihistamine helped with the itching - if you take Benadryl (which is an antihistamine) you may find it helps with sleep too.

As for the brain fog, you've been bombarding your brain with alcohol for a long time which sends the brain chemicals - dopamine, gaba, etc. - haywire & it takes them a while to settle down. you're also having tolearn how to deal with life sober, which is pretty exhausting in itself!

hang in there, be gentle with yourself, it does get better
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Experienced all of the above in my many attempts to get sober.

I found all passed after about 3 weeks for me - but everyone is different I suppose? (Didn't stop me relapsing when I thought I was 'over the worst' and that I was 'better now' though!!!!)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Healthyharold,

Congratulations on 16 days!!!

I had many of your symptoms on a mild level. Since I am not a doctor nor can we give medical advice, I will state a theory and recommend getting to a doctor. So my theory about skin issues and itching is that we have damaged/abused our livers greatly for years or decades. The skin is one of the first organs to show damage when the liver starts to be less efficient. So I think our skin starts healing once we get sobriety and the side effects of healing is itching.

Good luck
Old 12-14-2017, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had the same issue. It will most surely get better. Make sure you research what supplements/vitamins such as a folic acid, for example and foods are best for recovery. We can’t suggest medications but supplements and diet will help tremendously. I just quit a few months ago and it took a few weeks for my sleep to level out. Weights and some cardio did wonders for me but you’ve gotta put the right nutrients in your body while it levels back out. It’s so important. Try not to get frustrated. Your body is resetting itself. The short time to get back to “normal” is worth it. I drank every day practically for years, even as an athlete and I feel amazing now. Hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Itching is your liver telling you enough. I too had itching while drinking and still quite a bit for a couple of months after. I do still get the odd itch here and there but nothing like before. Mine also now could be due to the dry winter here in Canada. Best to also see your doctor so that he/she can run tests. It is always advisable. They say wait until you are at about the 6 month mark for liver tests as this will give it time to heal and the tests will come out more precise. I am doing mine in January as this will be almost 7 months for me. All the best!
Old 12-15-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt very much the same as you. The itching for me was inside my skin almost like a bad sunburn. It drove me insane. I have read it has to do with the liver. I told myself it was just toxins working their way out of my body. My father who passed away 7 years ago, always believed a good’sweat’ helped to cleanse the body. He would run and then get on the sauna at his gym. I joined a gym last week for the first time in 10 years. It is really helping. The itching has passed. My 2cents about the itching is to sweat it out!! Worth a try if it helps make the insane itching stop, right? It has helped with the slow brain feeling too. Keep me posted about how your doing. I have been sober a month and 5 days. I’m feeling so much better and you will too!!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh yeah I was SO itchy. I can't remember exactly how many weeks it lasted,
3 or 4? I was also really twitchy. I'd be lying in bed trying to sleep and my legs would jerk all over the place by themselves. It was sort of like pins and needles, except instead of a generalised prickling, it would be like one singular pin or needle in my foot, or calf, or leg. Startling and semi painful. No, not painful exactly, but not comfortable either. The itching was constant. The twitching only seemed to be at night when I was lying down. In fact, the itching was how I found this site. I googled 'alcohol withdrawal + itching' and found a post from years ago with someone going through the same thing. In the next few days I read hundreds of posts and signed up. I didn't get any shakes, but then I had never quit before. Never. I just drank and drank and drank. Every day, starting first thing in the morning. Never a day off. I think the tremens come after repeated quitting then drinking. The kindling thing.

HealthyHarold, yes it definitely does pass. I was the same, no breaks, just daily drinking. You can do this, keep on posting, perhaps join up with the class of December - people who are quitting at the same time as you will have many milestones in common. There is tonnes of support here.