Notices

I got drunk again. :-(

Old 05-28-2023, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got drunk again. :-(

I had a bad week and decided to get drunk. Why? I have a bad week. I'm taking med for my depression which works most of the time but when i need to escape I don't care anymore. I don't like this feeling when I drink, can anyone tell me what to do when **** hit the fan in life?
Old 05-28-2023, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long had you abstained?
Old 05-28-2023, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and I'm sorry that you decided to drink. The thing to do when things are really hard is to remember that drinking is not an option, ever. Make a list of things you could do to distract yourself and to feel better. My list includes going for a long walk, listening to my favorite music, going out for coffee, calling someone and having a chat. Do whatever you think will work for you. It will get easier as time goes on.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man oh man, good job coming right back here and asking the good question. Well done.

Conventional wisdom here is to have a plan. I suppose that having different plans for when the AV gets going or when "happy hour" rolls around or in your case, when life goes sideways in a big way.

I think there are some templates for plans but I don't know if there is one that is specific to what you ask. Developing such plans must be pretty personal but probably have commonalities.

Irk, now I want to see yours or any one else's plan around this situation.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The key is to get some sober time under your belt. When we regularly drink, our baseline mood moves to below normal due to the long term effect of alcohol. So anything that comes up sets us off, because it seems too difficult to take. This is especially the case in early sobriety. In addition, our executive function (pre-frontal cortex) is also diminished, which often leads to "eff it, I'm gonna drink".

The solution to BOTH these problems is sober time. The longer we remain sober, especially past 30 days, the better our baseline mood will become, lifting of depression, etc. Six months will really solidify your sobriety. And also we regain some of the lost executive function, which helps us make better decisions and not cave so easily. Believe me when I say I speak from experience on this.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
The key is to get some sober time under your belt. When we regularly drink, our baseline mood moves to below normal due to the long term effect of alcohol. So anything that comes up sets us off, because it seems too difficult to take. This is especially the case in early sobriety. In addition, our executive function (pre-frontal cortex) is also diminished, which often leads to "eff it, I'm gonna drink".

The solution to BOTH these problems is sober time. The longer we remain sober, especially past 30 days, the better our baseline mood will become, lifting of depression, etc. Six months will really solidify your sobriety. And also we regain some of the lost executive function, which helps us make better decisions and not cave so easily. Believe me when I say I speak from experience on this.
good stuff. Thanks advbike
Old 05-28-2023, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know how you feel… Nothing worse than feeling of letting yourself and others down.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
The key is to get some sober time under your belt
Exactly this!
I know how it sounds - it's frustrating because how are you supposed to get time under your belt when all you want to do is have a drink right!
I'm in earlyish sobriety and it's a fight!
The only advice I can give is carry on fighting and come to SR or do anything to distract yourself from taking that first drink, otherwise it will be a vicious circle of relapsing - I lived it for decades!

Old 05-28-2023, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You never have to get drunk again WhyNotNowMe.

Why not?
Old 05-28-2023, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome back WNNM.

I can't tell you what to do. I can tell what I did and what I witnessed others do.
I stayed close to SR early in my recovery. Make SR friends, read lots of post, post lots of post all to learn from others and do the same.

A recovery plan that fits one's particular needs works good for me. Big hefty recovery tool box helps me too.

You can recover. It's the first drink that gets us drunk, Pause before you pick up and reach out for help here instead of using.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We don't drink because of bad weeks, we drink because we are alcoholics.

My philosophy is no weeks, just days and just one day at a time. Then when that bad day hits just start the day over. So I had a bad morning, maybe stop and a quick prayer and some lunch will turn it around.

To some extent we have to learn to sit with some of these bad feelings. They will be pass, be patient. Go to the serenity prayer, that should be the default. To continue to feel bad is a choice. How we feel about something after the initial response has passed is a choice. We can continue to feel miserable or try and look for a bright side. Its really up to us.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There's nothing like having a bad while you are craving a drink, and that obsessive craving makes everything that much worse. But if you stop drinking for good, after a while the cravings start to go away and become more manageable. In a short time, cravings will be nothing more than noise in your head, and if you are anything like me, you will realize that much of your bad day is actually caused by alcohol. We can actually make our bad days better, but bad days are part of life. The drinking however, is under your control. Actually, it always was, but you got in the habit of dealing with your cravings by drinking, and eventually you underwent a physical change in your liver, which you didn't notice, because as your liver became accustomed to processing alcohol, you once again dealt with that by drinking.

But you can break the cycle. It's not easy, but when you do, drinking becomes a choice that is about the same amount of effort as the choice not to drink. You won't be out of the woods, because you are an alcoholic, and sadly that is never going to change, but keep on not drinking and the choice will become your default. Just don't think you are well enough to sneak one drink. That's not how your liver works. Active alcoholism will take over again and ruin what you gained.

And old timer in AA once claimed that if you go back to drinking after 6 months, at least you had 6 good months. I never bought that, however. Old timers, myself included, don't know everything, but it's been shown over and over again, right here in this forum, drinking takes you back to where you were, and I've heard it said that it gets even worse. I can't personally verify that, because I never went back to drinking, but it's such a universal phenomenon that I'll take other's word for it. What I have experienced in my early days is that alcoholism always gets worse, never better, and never easier to live with.

So much for the negativity. The good news is that sobriety isn't something I would trade for a million dollars. My life kept getting better, sometimes while I wasn't even watching, but every once in a while, I would stop and re access, and realize how much better things have gotten. None of this was instantaneous. Well, no some of it was, but much of it was gradual and imperceptible while it was happening.

Breaking the cycle is something you won't regret, and a year from now you will realize, that none of this was a sacrifice. You just got rid of a bunch of bad stuff, and that's not a sacrifice.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Always good driguy. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Accepting life on life’s terms is a key tenet of recovery 🙏
Old 05-29-2023, 03:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post DriGuy

"Active alcoholism will take over again and ruin what you gained"
I needed to read this today - although I know this information my sobriety is fragile and this is simple facts!