Notices

First sober Christmas?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sober Christmas?

Is anyone else facing their first sober Christmas? How are you planning to manage it? Needing inspiration!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I am! Planning treats like luxury hot chocolate (marshmallows, cream etc) and things I wouldn't normally eat too much of, e.g. Nuts, chocs. When it comes to New Year, I'm planning mocktails - at least my kids can join in with the mocktails, we can make it fun!

My husband drinks so I will be around alcohol but I'm used to that. I can laugh at his hangovers!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me!

Planned to the millisecond

This Friday, Santa Claus Parade.

Saturday, dinner with our babysitter and a movie - going to see The Star (we always take her somewhere or do something with her, she's a great kid)

23rd is Horse Day, we have three we are working on, training to do therapy work, so lots of training that day.

24th cook lots of food, we do appetisers for X-Mas Eve. Church service at 7pm

25th is at home, vegetarian lasagna and garlic bread and salad - totes traditional!

26th at my parents - no issues with booze, they don't drink or offer it usually, we drive 3 hours each way, so they wouldn't expect us to drink anything

27th we fly out - staying with in-laws, not big drinkers, New Year's Eve will be at their place, I just plan to delay, at midnight all drinking ceases at their place anyways. Usually whoever is doing fireworks (husband) and firing guns stop way before that anyways, just a glass to toast. Midnight we set off fireworks, fire our guns and it's all over, the next day is a big meal and I have never seen anyone take a drink that day.

The rest of the time, snow willing, we will be snowmobiling! Absolutely no drinking when doing that.

I am really looking forward to my first sober holidays!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misscostalot View Post
Is anyone else facing their first sober Christmas? How are you planning to manage it? Needing inspiration!
My first sober Christmas, coming up. I plan to handle it the same way I handled my first sober Thanksgiving.

The confidence in my inability to manage and control myself and my alcohol consumption. The confidence in me ruining another holiday, or not being present for another holiday. The confidence in regret and anxiety I would feel after the poor decisions.

I used my prior poor choices and the feelings those choices made as motivation, just like I do on a daily basis. I'm done hurting people with my words or actions, or lack there of. This past Thanksgiving was the best Thanksgiving I've ever had. I want this Christmas to be the best I've ever had as well.

Learning from previous mistakes, I'm finally listening to them and not just making excuses.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It’ll be my first sober holiday season in years
I’m gonna just be with family and that should be enough
Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

not my first sober one, but ill be doing it the same way as the rest:
-have the right motive for going to any holiday event where theres alcohol.
-be in fit spiritual condition.
-have an escape route just in case my thinkin gets squirrely.
- and the main thing: didnt drink even if my ass fell off.

all them firsts the first year sober were rather strange- first birthday, fourth of july, thanksgiving,christmas...i hadnt done them sober in a LONG time. they became really enjoyable over time.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm heading into my fourth sober Christmas. It feels pretty darn great.

I remember my first sober Christmas. It came at the end of my first sober year, as I'd gotten sober after a year and a half long binge wound up ending in crisis just after Christmas.

Approaching the holidays, I had a solid foundation of sobriety for the year - but even still it was a challenge. The holidays were always so charged with booze and drugs for me. Decades of drinking my head off was the norm. Surrounded by drinking and drinking people and drinking messages and the memories of days gone by - many of which were fond and pleasant despite the alcohol - it was hard.

I went to meetings almost every day through the holiday season. That helped a lot. I read the Big Book every day - especially the personal accounts. I came to SoberRecovery forum every day. I kept my head in the game. I had a canned answer to anyone offering me a drink. I had a bailout plan for every event or dinner or place I visited..... a pre-programmed willingness to leave and retreat home. I went to the gym a lot. I kept it focused every day and I managed through. Several times it was a challenge. I had to fight off conflicting feelings. I had to recognize my own inner addictive voice and put it in its place. I had to remind myself daily of all the reasons I'd chosen sobriety.

In the end, it felt really, really good - every day - going to bed and waking up sober. Being present. Really experiencing Christmas. Seeing it through new eyes. Having real interactions. Sometimes it was hard but mostly it was rewarding.

Nowadays there's not the slightest struggle.

You can do it.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Christmas Eve...god willing will be Day 35 and Christmas Day 36.....feel confident now....but of course always worried in the back of my mind.

Planning for it to be low key...with my girlfriend and her parents. They think I am taking a break from booze to get healthy and lose weight.

Not comfortable enough discussing the real reason with them.....
Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First sober Christmas for me....

I will not be traveling to see my family, as it is a huge trigger (drunk brother, and wine drinking daughter in law). Both know my struggle but do nothing to support my choices (sobriety), so I'm on my own this year.

Maybe make a gourmet meal at home and have a home spa day...
Merry Christmas to me
Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first sober Christmas too. Very nervous about it......I plan to stay busy when I can. But i am worried about the day itself. I am scared I won't be able to do it to be honest. I would prefer to have no alcohol in the house but this won't be possible.....I don't feel I can impose this on everyone else. I am fine outside the house.....all my serious drinking was done at home.
I am going to try and make a plan for the day that will see me through. Most of all I don't even want to contemplate how I will feel if I drink.....enough damage has been done by this addiction already.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

First sober Christmas here in a very long time. Will be home with my husband. We will lay low and probably have a nice dinner and speak with children and grandchildren on the phone. Keeping it simple.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

some really good ideas here guys

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)

D
Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Wow! It IS my first sober Christmas! Ever!

I'm sure I'll love it. I pretty much love sober EVERYTHING.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
My first sober Christmas too. Very nervous about it......I plan to stay busy when I can. But i am worried about the day itself. I am scared I won't be able to do it to be honest. I would prefer to have no alcohol in the house but this won't be possible.....I don't feel I can impose this on everyone else. I am fine outside the house.....all my serious drinking was done at home.
I am going to try and make a plan for the day that will see me through. Most of all I don't even want to contemplate how I will feel if I drink.....enough damage has been done by this addiction already.
Just a thought...if you are hosting the Christmas festivities, why not serve mocktails and non-alcoholic beer or wine? It seems perfectly fine to say that you won't be providing booze this year. Maybe give yourself some more sober time?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also my first sober Christmas. My family doesn't really drink, so no issues there. Work party on Friday will be a drinking event, but not the first one I've been through sans alcohol.

Holidays or not, urges are going to do what urges are going to do. What I do? Identify them, refuse them, and move on.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

First sober in several years......
Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’ll have six months sobriety on 12/23. The best give I could have ever given myself will be that.

My first sober Christmas.

What am I going to do? I’m going to enjoy it! You should do the same.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was sober from Dec 17th 2015 through to January 2nd 2016 and then I relapsed.

So not my first sober Christmas but I do have a useful experience tucked into my pocket that tells me that even when I do make it through the festive season unscathed, I cannot be complacent again.

Regards,

JT
Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
I was sober from Dec 17th 2015 through to January 2nd 2016 and then I relapsed.

So not my first sober Christmas but I do have a useful experience tucked into my pocket that tells me that even when I do make it through the festive season unscathed, I cannot be complacent again.

Regards,

JT
Exactly the same, with a couple of dates different either side I do remember last Christmas being 'amusing', in that I would watch people acting the fool and know how they'd feel the next morning. Facebook was a real treat - all the posts of hangovers etc.
Have a great Christmas
Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was sober 2 years ago at Christmas and New Years eve. I went so far as to be the designated driver on new years. I realized that drunk people are extremely irritating, and should have been left at a bus stop or something. LOL anyways I'm back struggling again. starting Day 3, and hopefully in a few weeks I'll be the designated driver again. Sober at Xmas is AWESOME Good Luck