Notices

Hi

Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Hi friends. I’m new here, although I’ve known I’ve had a drinking problem for years. Ive gone through month-long periods of sobriety several times over the past several years, always to return to my bad habit. The thing is, I feel so alone in this. I haven’t ever been able to find someone to whom I can relate in this journey. I’m a mom, I work full time, have a house, a husband, lots of friends... but I feel so isolated. Anyone feel like this? I have tried AA meetings in the past but I feel even more alone and isolated in those meetings. I feel like I have absolutely nothing in common with anyone there, other than a drinking problem.
How do I get support in order to succeed?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Reggie,

Have you tried other AA meetings? Maybe an all women's group? Not all meetings are the same or have the same people, yes, they all have the 1 thing in common, to not drink.

While I had plenty of friends, as I got sober I realized they were mostly ALL drinking buddies so I let them go.

I too can feel isolated at times, my BF is a normie. He goes out about 2-3 times a week and I am left home. I work full time, I have a 2.5-year-old son and I am the only one in the house who does the cooking, cleaning, gymnastics classes, and so on, I am sure you understand.

I find it difficult to find time for myself, to work out, to read, to relax, etc....

I am working on finding the time and I have come to the conclusion I am going to have to wake up at 4:30 am to partake in me time (self-care). When I do this, I feel less stressed and am able to focus on the important things in life which come after my sobriety, my family.

If it were not for my son, I am not sure what state of mind I wold be as I would be going at this alone. Well, I have my AA meeting and SR. I suppose I would just go to more meetings.

I wish you the best of luck in this venture!

You are worth it!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Reggie; really glad that you have found this supportive, encouraging and understanding place.

My feeling is that you will many people here with whom you can relate.

You may want to join an SR Class.

I will post a link to the Class of December 2017 where you will find members in close to the same stage as you in their efforts to achieve sobriety and recovery.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As promised, Reggie:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ad-pt-1-a.html
Old 12-11-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You may like stopping by the 24,Hour Recovery thread to make a daily commitment to sobriety:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-325-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 325)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Reggie. You wont be alone here.
I can certainly relate to the loneliness and the struggle to find a place where you can relate to others about this addiction. Honestly, for me, SR is the only place I can truly bring my struggle with addiction. I have a good family and close friends but it is very hard for others to understand addiction and I must admit it is not something I really want to share with others too much. I hope you will find SR helpful.....I could not have quit without it.
Support to you.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blank Page

Reggie,

I’ve felt the same way. Everyone around me drinks “normally.” I good jump off point for me was doing IOP (intensive outpatient). This helped me have the initial accountability and I got to meet a lot of people like me. I would look into this option!

Originally Posted by Reggie7 View Post
Hi friends. I’m new here, although I’ve known I’ve had a drinking problem for years. Ive gone through month-long periods of sobriety several times over the past several years, always to return to my bad habit. The thing is, I feel so alone in this. I haven’t ever been able to find someone to whom I can relate in this journey. I’m a mom, I work full time, have a house, a husband, lots of friends... but I feel so isolated. Anyone feel like this? I have tried AA meetings in the past but I feel even more alone and isolated in those meetings. I feel like I have absolutely nothing in common with anyone there, other than a drinking problem.
How do I get support in order to succeed?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there.

Quite similar here, work pretty much full time, 2 kids, husband... My husband still drinks so I am around alcohol. I'm 11 weeks sober now & doing ok. I don't do AA but have addiction counsellor & did a 10 week therapy course for anxiety.

My only source of those who understand (apart from my counsellor) is here on SR which has done me well so far. Some friends know my situation but clearly they don't understand, but they do try & they do support me.

Try posting here as others have said & take it from there.

Take care x
Old 12-11-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Reggie,

Lots of us mom's here, getting sober together. Believe me I know what you mean, life is busy and I too don't have friends who understand really. My husband is supportive but he isn't even a normie Lol, the same bottle of whiskey has sat on the top of the fridge for 6 months and there is beer in the fridge since March. This board has been great and uber helpful. Not totally sold on AA myself, for personal reasons, I have considered It, read the big book and follow along in on line meetings. I am pretty new in recovery too. Welcome, folks here are awesome.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Reggie, I can definitely relate. I work full-time, have a husband, kids, and also feel isolated. Lately, I've started to realize that some of my isolation is of my own making, meaning that I look for differences (especially the kind where I am more "functional" than others) rather than realizing that I am on the same trajectory, albeit a different stage of addiction. I'm working on that now.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Reggie

There's an amazing well of support and good advice here at SR. It helped me change my life - I know we can help you do the same.

Glad to have you aboard

D
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes. I appreciate the support and suggestions. I guess I have a long road ahead of me... all without my favorite crutch - wine.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Reggie - It's so good to have you with us. When I first came here I couldn't imagine my life without alcohol, even though in the end it brought me nothing but misery. My friends here helped me find the courage to live in a whole new way. You can definitely do this! You're never alone.