Notices

5 months sober and have questions...

Old 12-12-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Crazy, 5 months sober and every morning (it’s 7 a.m.) I still have the urge to drink. Right now I’d be pouring my first drink, a 3-4 ounce stoli vodka which would hold me over until about 9 a.m. when I would repeat. Instead, I’m on my porch drinking chamomile tea trying to lessen my anxiety. I’ve already gone for a mile walk. I know I’ve read some encouraging posts here, but are we sure this gets better?? Hanging in there!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wasn't a morning drinker so I can't help with that, but anxiety I am all too familiar with sadly. Therapy has really helped with this, I'm learning how to live with it. You know from my previous posts that I take medication, I am on a low dose of an antidepressant for it which takes the edge off & is giving me time to deal with the anxiety. I guess it depends how bad it is for you? If there is a risk that it will impact on your sobriety then I'd seriously consider speaking to a doctor about medication options.

Take care x
Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I didnt feel even close to being normal until 9 months or so... I take anxiety meds if needed along with a mood stabilizer and honestly feel I would not be sober today without proper meds onboard. Not everyone needs meds of course but they saved my life. As others have said a good patient/dr relationship is key to determine what is right for you.

I have always had an anxiety problem and it got worse for awhile after I quit (pretty common)but has leveled off a lot since, as has my use of the anxiety med. I have to watch the caffeine intake closely (ugh) and make time for meditating. Breathing exercises really help too.

Yes, it does get better, 5 months is still early. When I'm anxious now the absolute last thing I want to do is drink, where it used to be an obsession.