Notices

Fast to improve damaged health

Old 12-11-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fast to improve damaged health

Everybody knows alcohol destroys your health even if you use it in “moderation”. Fasting is a very powerful tool to do all kinds of things like strengthen immune system, reduce inflammation, improve digestive/liver/kidney issues, boost energy levels and all different kinds of things. Even if you’re one of the many people who talk and kinds of **** about fasting because you’re a fat ass and love your junk food and makes you feel better about your fat self thinking that not eating is “unhealthy”. Well for the people who actually have an open mind me like to try new things I highly encourage you to do some research online and really give it a try. Even if it’s not for the countless health benefits. I always hear and see people struggle with needing a challenge or motivation to stop drinking and it’s amazing how simple yet incredibly challenging going days without food is and how it opens up your foggy mind. I believe the record for not eating is over 365 days so if that person can go that long than all of you reading this can go at least 2 days because hey...It might just save your life
Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blane

I'm against fasting in early recovery because we've already put our minds and bodies through the wringer as active addicts.

I think we need to nourish and cherish ourselves a little, not get into more deprivation.

I was malnourished by the time I quit, so in those circumstances a fast could even be dangerous.

I'm not any kind of doctor but that's my experience.

I realise you're relatively new here - but you might want to ease back on the tough talk too.

I don't come here to be dismissed a fat ass who talks ****, y'know?
I'm sure noone else does either.

I disagree with you, but noone's here to fight with you, Blane.

Just keep it civil, yeah?

Dee
SR
Old 12-11-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I don't think it's a good idea for people trying to quit heavy alcohol abuse to fast. Nutrients are important when you've depleted many by drinking excessively. It's also not a good idea to fast when arguably the liver has been damaged from drinking, as extended fasting is laborious on the liver. Finally, I haven't seen any scientific studies that prove several day fasts have health benefits. Even the pseudoscience sites always use the words "may" or "could" etc., when discussing its health benefits.

FWIW, I have fasted several times for at least 4 days, one time passing out. That was back when I wasn't a drunk and much healthier, too.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm willing to accept the possibility that there could be some health merits to fasting for people who aren't already struggling, but I feel i must respectfully disagree with you on this for newcomers to sobriety Blane. I think that as this is a sobriety forum, and the newcomers area at that, the main goal of most will be just achieving and maintaining sobriety. As hunger can be a major trigger for alcoholic cravings I dont think its the best way to achieve long-lasting and comfortable sobriety. Plus, plenty of people arrive here malnourished from not eating or eating junk while active in their alcoholism, and their bodies are already struggling to cope with recent changes. Not to mention strain on the (already hammered) liver, or dangers of cross addicting to food-disorders as a way of seeking control due to alcoholic all-or-nothing thinking anyway.

Once we've achieved sobriety and are working a good plan of recovery, then we can tackle most things. Health, finances, relationships, careers.. all sorts. But sobriety and addiction-recovery needs to be top priority as, if we relapse, everything else is screwed anyway.

BB
Old 12-11-2017, 01:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies I appreciate the disagreements and keep an open mind with them. Dee74, he “tough talk” is sometimes necessary to pick someone off their ass and get motivated I’m not into the cuddling and telling people it’s going to be okay. Only YOU decide if you’re going to be okay and truly make a change nobody else. As far as the other comments about nutrient deficiency and malnutrition and all of that. When you’re in a hospital bed you’re given sodium chloride and potassium chloride as they are vital electrolytes and give you all the nutrition you need for a couple days. If you haven’t tasted with putting these in your water BUT you have fasted I highly recommend doing so. When you fast on plain water you urinate all your electrolytes by about the 2nd day and don’t feel good. With the potassium and sodium chloride you feel amazing. If you want to try it you can buy the two ingredients and practically any super market. The best is Himalayan pink salt for the sodium chloride and “No salt” for the potassium chloride. If you haven’t or aren’t willing to fast don’t reply to this post lmfao keep your ignorant thoughts for another post
Old 12-11-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blane,

Newcomers is meant to be a safe and welcome place.
If thats not for you, that's ok.

Straight talk is fine but I disagree people 'need to get off their ass' or that tough talk from someone they barely know can help them do that

That's a sweeping statement based on a minimum of time you've spent in the forum, and its not constructive.

Calling people ignorant is also not constructive and is pretty much flame bait.

As far as fasting goes, you're dangerously close to breaking the medical advice rule.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
If you're fasting right now that may account for the aggression and belligerence I'm feeling from you when I read your posts.

You need to chill.

At the risk of being a wise guy, go eat a Snickers, Blane....

D
Old 12-11-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What Dee said.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My own circumstances were, that I had quit drinking for 6 weeks already, only to find it had been masking Type 1 Diabetes. It could have been lethal, for me to 'fast' at that time.
Welcome anyway Blane.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had malnutrition when I got sober. I am not sure that fasting would have helped that. Many alcoholics are undisciplined in early sobriety and sometimes forget the basics of daily living. On more than one occasion I have seen newcomers almost off their heads with anxiety and paranoia feel instantly better after a nutricious meal. The turn around in mood is astounding.

For my money good regular meals are an important ingredient for mental stability in early recovery. And not so early too. I tend to get cranky if I forget to eat.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Yo Blaine, what's your deal? Stop drinking combined with eating healthy and daily exercise > fasting.

Lol @ "You need to fast, fat ass" as being some kind of Tony Robbins motivational tactic.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tough talk can be helpful sometimes.... but usually not as an introduction.

In my experience, "tough talk" ought to be used pretty sparingly and with people we already have a connection with.... people who have a frame of context established to understand it as coming from a place of good intention. Or in the military.

In any case, I didn't find the 'tough talk' approach to this topic useful. I found it off-putting.

That said I'd agree with Dee that fasting in early recovery might be a tall order for most who already have a lot on their plate. Once settled into a strong recovery plan and with a foundation of good sobriety under us, though, fasting is something I've had some experience with. I'd agree that there are health benefits and also - done with proper preparation and support - there can be some interesting mental / emotional / spiritual benefits when fasting is approached as a whole-self endeavor.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree fasting is great, it's a good way to reset your body. Speaking for myself, I wasn't sick when I quit, like some other people are. For me, my first sober Monday was the same Monday I have always lived, just foggier Having said that, deciding I was never drinking again, knowing this was it and figuring out how to live, was such an emotional and psychological change, fasting was the last thing on my mind.

Past that first weekend, my first thought was fixing what I had done, or giving everything a boost. I started a water challenge, drink a gallon a day, I still do that. I started consciously eating more than 7-10 fruit/vegetable servings and cut out protein and fat - BUT I was healthy when I quit, or healthier than most.

I eat a predominantly vegetarian diet, always have and do intermittent fasting, however, as someone who wasn't very sick when I quit, I would never suggest it to a person in acute withdrawal or early recovery. Not just from a physical standpoint, but from a mental one, You need to mentally prepare to fast, make a plan, in early recovery, you just are not there, it's like every day you are hanging on by a string. I felt that way and I only drank on weekends, it was one kind of wine and unless I was on a binge, only wine. So to be hit on a Wednesday with fears about my quit, it was very unsettling, so I couldn't imagine introducing another thing into my head. At three weeks in, my kids wanted to do the no sugar challenge, it actually undid my quit from cigarettes, too much, too quick.

In the right frame of mind fasting is a fabulous way to reboot, but you cannot discount the mental aspect of it and honestly, folks fighting a war every second/minute/day in their heads, cannot do it and reap the benefits. You will end up with people failing on the fast and a small failure just blows open the door for bigger failures.