Notices

Went to first AA meeting today

Old 12-10-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to first AA meeting today

I've done some stints of sobriety before but just using this site, and...myself. It wasn't working altogether so I went to an AA meeting today. I was feeling weird about it when I first went in...and some of the "god bothering" content was a bit strange but I just set that to one side. And it was really fine, and actually quite a beautiful experience. I got a lot out of hearing everyone's stories. There were some rough 'round the edges folks there but many were just like me... women trying to hold it together with jobs and families and a secret bad drinking problem (no longer a secret). A couple of the ladies there gave me their numbers and told me to call anytime. They were all very welcoming and I am pretty sure I will be going back next week. Not sure why I put it off for so long.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That’s a great step we’ll done and I am so glad you found it to be a good experience.
As I am sure lots of people at the meeting will have said “keep going back”.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

SOTC I hope someone finds inspiration in your post. The fear of a first meeting is nearly universal. I'm glad you found your way past it.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and I am glad you went. Perhaps you heard the suggestion of 90 mtgs in 90 days- or even 30/30 - as this is what helps a lot of us begin to really learn about the program, including the "god thing." In short - that part is about believing in a Higher Power - something bigger than us- not any specific God. I hope you will give AA a legitimate shot.

Take care.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Thanks for sharing and I am glad you went. Perhaps you heard the suggestion of 90 mtgs in 90 days- or even 30/30 - as this is what helps a lot of us begin to really learn about the program, including the "god thing." In short - that part is about believing in a Higher Power - something bigger than us- not any specific God. I hope you will give AA a legitimate shot.

Take care.
Yes, the woman leading at the group talked to me about this. The higher power can be whatever you interpret it as, it is just something larger than oneself.

I suppose we all get to the point (as I did) where you realise that you alone and your own will power is not going to cut it. Hence why I am trying meetings.