SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What If My AV Never Goes Away? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/419856-what-if-my-av-never-goes-away.html)

Nonsensical 12-05-2017 11:14 AM

What If My AV Never Goes Away?

What if I am sober for the rest of my life, but my AV never goes away? What if it is always there, surfacing every few days to tell me how lovely a drink would be? Or how I can control it this time? Or how things really weren't so bad? Or how next time will be different?

What will I do if it keeps pestering me for the rest of my life?

I will do the same thing I did yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that. I will put that rascal back in his box and close the lid.

And then I will go on with my life. :ring

FreeOwl 12-05-2017 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nonsensical (Post 6697393)
What if I am sober for the rest of my life, but my AV never goes away? What if it is always there, surfacing every few days to tell me how lovely a drink would be? Or how I can control it this time? Or how things really weren't so bad? Or how next time will be different?

What will I do if it keeps pestering me for the rest of my life?

I will do the same thing I did yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that. I will put that rascal back in his box and close the lid.

And then I will go on with my life. :ring

:) Yep!!!!

But it will. It will go away.

:grouphug:

Maudcat 12-05-2017 11:54 AM

it will get quieter and quieter, until eventually you won’t hear it at all.

sickofthiscrap 12-05-2017 12:14 PM

Thank you for asking, as I have been wondering the same thing.

Fusion 12-05-2017 01:33 PM

Neuro plasticity is proof positive that it will lessen, if not go away completely. But, as you say, if it does rear it’s ugly head from time to time, so what, it has NO POWER over you, nor me. Therein lies the power to stop drinking, realising that the craving/obsession to drink is simply the biological Addictive Voice in the brain, it is powerless and cannot raise a can or glass to our mouths if ‘we’ the ‘mind that’s in control’ don’t want to.

Boxer1 12-05-2017 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tatsy (Post 6697602)
Neuro plasticity is proof positive that it will lessen, if not go away completely. But, as you say, if it does rear it’s ugly head from time to time, so what, it has NO POWER over you, nor me. Therein lies the power to stop drinking, realising that the craving/obsession to drink is simply the biological Addictive Voice in the brain, it is powerless and cannot raise a can or glass to our mouths if ‘we’ the ‘mind that’s in control’ don’t want to.

Perfectly summarized!

Dee74 12-05-2017 05:40 PM

I haven't heard from mine in a very long time :)
it has no traction and no reason to exist in the life I'm living now :)

D