Not coping - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read





Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 350

Not coping


Iíve been an on-off visitor to these forums over the years. I am no stranger to sobriety or alcoholism, having done stints of both. I was never happy either way so must concede there was something about sobriety I was doing wrong, or not ďgettingĒ. Iíve never been a believer in happiness actually, but right now, just ďcopingĒ would be nice. Thatís the truth Iím arriving at. I am not coping, and alcohol is actually making me weaker and further destroying my ability to cope.

I came back here briefly earlier this year and then left again because I felt bad, wasting the time of you good people. I wasnít serious about quitting. No point venting and whining on a sobriety forum if I am not wanting to get sober.

In recent times I have laboured under delusions of control. Like, I am not that bad. Compared to many I guess I am not. I donít drink every night. Most of the time I stop at five drinks (I know that is actually a lot). Real benders donít happen often. I donít get into trouble.

How easily it all unravels. It is unravelling before my eyes. Last night five drinks didnít get me anywhere, so I just drank until I passed out.
I am going through an incredibly difficult time right now, I am in serious emotional pain that I have been medicating with boozeÖbut truly I see with clear eyes it is actually me weaker. I feel utterly pathetic. I have a game face, but I canít deal with basic stuff everyone has to deal with in this life without hiding in a damn bottle.

I seriously donít feel strong enough to handle what life is throwing at me right now. My mother was recently dx with advanced cancer. She has recently gone through all the tests. Actually, things arenít as bad as they could beÖwhile it is advanced, it hasnít spread to distant organs or bones. But she is now faced with all the horrible decisions about treatmentÖchemo, radiation, hormone blockers. It all looks like a ďno winĒ to me. Doctors are prescribing chemo as she is a stage 3 and it is her best bet to make sure cancer doesnít recur after her recent surgery to remove the tumour and affected lymph nodes. My mother is seventy-three and not in great health anyway. I have seen fit and healthy young people go downhill fast on chemotherapy. Only to have the cancer return, and they died anyway. My mother doesnít want to have chemo and I donít blame her. But if she doesnít the cancer is going to get her. I am just in pieces over all this. My mother is my best friend and I donít want to lose her, but either way mortality looms. I AM going to lose her. It is just a question of when.

Things came to a head yesterday. My motherís principal caretakers are me and my step dad. She doesnít really have anyone else. My other siblings live distantly and arenít very close to her. Now, my step dad is not well, has tendonitis in his legs and canít drive. They told me Iíve got to get my driverís licence so I can drive them to their medical appointments (yes, please donít laugh at me, I donít drive. I had lessons at eighteen and did not take to it, so I just quit). Long range, looks like I will need to quit my job to take care of them. I feel like life is over. Theirs, mine. We are all just getting old and the good times are a long distant memory. Nothing ahead but sadness, struggle, sickness and death. I know this sounds self-indulgent.

I kept a brave face in front of my parents, then went home and spent the rest of the day drinking and sleeping. I just canít deal. I just wanted to block everything out and not be conscious. I guess I am still a kid. I feel like they should be taking care of me, not the other way around. I am used to them driving me around, now I have to drive them around.

Today I am horribly hungover and staring at reality again. The truth is still here no matter how much I hate it and want to make it go away. Itís certainly true that drinking doesnít make anything better.

I am going to take another stab at sobriety. I think the mistake I made last time was I tried to do everything on my own. I never talked to a doctor about my drinking, I never went to AA or anything. I just stopped. But then, of course, I started againÖ

Well I have some really good reasons to quit right now. If Iím going to be getting my licence I donít want this booze demon on my back. How will I drive my parents to their medical appointments with a hangover or a DUI? Thatís just p*ss weak and irresponsible.

Not to mention I have up close and personal experience of what a bitch cancer is, and with all the drinking Iíve been doing I would be very surprised if I donít get it some years down the track myself. Iíve been poisoning my body and my organs for YEARS.

Thanks for listening. I am reading other posts here for encouragement. And telling myself, this is day one all over, this time for real, but in this pathetic state, also wondering if I can actually do it.
__________________
Homer Simpson: "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"
sickofthiscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sickofthiscrap For This Useful Post:
Anna (12-03-2017), Cleomie (12-03-2017), columbus (12-03-2017), D122y (12-03-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), Hawkeye13 (12-03-2017), least (12-03-2017), Pouncer (12-04-2017), theVman31 (12-04-2017), tursiops999 (12-03-2017), Verdantia (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
tursiops999's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,110
Hi SOTC.

Yes, you can do it. Any suggestion that you can't do it is just your addictive voice, telling you lies. Taking action, as you suggest, is a good idea.

I feel for ya. My dad was diagnosed a month ago with cancer that has spread, no treatment is possible, and he is at home with hospice nurses coming in daily. So I do have empathy for what you're going through.

I am so glad I'm doing this sober ... although it's painful, with sobriety the pain kinda just moves through me - I feel it, then it passes. When I drank, I just ruminated over my difficult feelings and never really made progress, never got through it, never let go. It's better sober.

And I'm grateful to be able to take responsibility for my parents' care. No, I don't like what is happening, and I don't like some of what I have to do. But I'm able to be responsible toward them, able to make things easier for them, and to be loving and caring. That's worth everything to me right now.
tursiops999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tursiops999 For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), Gottalife (12-03-2017), least (12-03-2017), Pouncer (12-04-2017), sickofthiscrap (12-03-2017), Verdantia (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Blue Belt
 
D122y's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Soberville, USA
Posts: 3,299
Blog Entries: 1
Sick,

Best thing is dealing with life sober. You might have a ton of extra anxiety going through the healing phase, but you will have a ton of extra energy because you are not hung over.

When I quit, I was able to work out everyday, but I would be mentally fatigued due to stress.

I napped a bunch and ate whatever I wanted/needed.

That was my deal.

No booze, but eat what ever I wanted.

I lost my step Mom in mid 2014 to cancer. She fought it for about 15 years.

I vote let you Mom get all the treatment insurance can buy. You never know the quality of life she might have.

I heard about a cure for cancer recently using Hydrogen peroxide 35%. I can't recommend it, but it might be worth a Google search for you and your family.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
__________________
D122y

When I crave I think of the next day after effects:

high blood pressure, sleep issues, strength loss, immune system compromise (sick).

BpSSS. My mantra.

Studied "alcohol kindling" and "alcohol PAWS."

Last intoxication: 8 May 15.
D122y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D122y For This Useful Post:
sickofthiscrap (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover
 
least's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: eastern USA
Posts: 81,547
Blog Entries: 32
Glad you came back. I'm sorry for what you're going thru with your mother's illness. But being there for them sober means you're giving them the best you can give.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
__________________
I'd rather live in my car with my dogs than live in a castle without them.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley

least is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Cleomie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 236
Dear SOTC,
What a painful, heartfelt post you've written. I just want to encourage you and to let you know you're not alone on this journey. Getting older really sucks, there's no way else to say it. Your decision to be sober is the best choice you can make for yourself and your elderly parents. Detoxing your body from a poisonous depressant you've been pouring down your throat for so many years will certainly improve your outlook for the future. That's the first step and the most important thing you can do. Try AA, get as much support as you can face to face with others who understand what it's like to have a serious drinking problem. There's plenty of us out here. Sending prayers your way.
__________________
Sobriety date: April 1, 2015
Cleomie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleomie For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), Pouncer (12-04-2017), sickofthiscrap (12-03-2017), Verdantia (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Hi SOTC.

Yes, you can do it. Any suggestion that you can't do it is just your addictive voice, telling you lies. Taking action, as you suggest, is a good idea.

I feel for ya. My dad was diagnosed a month ago with cancer that has spread, no treatment is possible, and he is at home with hospice nurses coming in daily. So I do have empathy for what you're going through.

I am so glad I'm doing this sober ... although it's painful, with sobriety the pain kinda just moves through me - I feel it, then it passes. When I drank, I just ruminated over my difficult feelings and never really made progress, never got through it, never let go. It's better sober.

And I'm grateful to be able to take responsibility for my parents' care. No, I don't like what is happening, and I don't like some of what I have to do. But I'm able to be responsible toward them, able to make things easier for them, and to be loving and caring. That's worth everything to me right now.
Thank you so much. I have tears rolling down my face reading this. I am so sorry to hear about your dad.

You really just nailed it for me. This is my time to be strong for the people I love and be there for them, no matter what the future holds. I can't do that stuck in a bottle.
__________________
Homer Simpson: "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"
sickofthiscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sickofthiscrap For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), least (12-03-2017), tursiops999 (12-03-2017), Verdantia (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by least View Post
Glad you came back. I'm sorry for what you're going thru with your mother's illness. But being there for them sober means you're giving them the best you can give.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
I remember you Least. Thank you for the welcome message. It means a lot as I do feel I have stuffed you people around with my lack of commitment.
__________________
Homer Simpson: "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"
sickofthiscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sickofthiscrap For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), tursiops999 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleomie View Post
Dear SOTC,
What a painful, heartfelt post you've written. I just want to encourage you and to let you know you're not alone on this journey. Getting older really sucks, there's no way else to say it. Your decision to be sober is the best choice you can make for yourself and your elderly parents. Detoxing your body from a poisonous depressant you've been pouring down your throat for so many years will certainly improve your outlook for the future. That's the first step and the most important thing you can do. Try AA, get as much support as you can face to face with others who understand what it's like to have a serious drinking problem. There's plenty of us out here. Sending prayers your way.
Thank you Cleomie. Yep, getting old sucks. And it will suck even more if I keep drinking.

I think being honest with others and myself, and getting support, will be key this time around. Last time I thought I "had it all together" you know. I just don't - those are the facts.
__________________
Homer Simpson: "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"
sickofthiscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sickofthiscrap For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), tursiops999 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Anna's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dancing in the Light
Posts: 52,394
I'm glad you're back It does sound like a difficult time for you and your family. Being sober is the best way to deal with life and it sounds like you're ready to do it. Try to remember to take care of yourself, too.
__________________
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

Marianne Williamson
Anna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Dee74 (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), sickofthiscrap (12-03-2017), tursiops999 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you're back It does sound like a difficult time for you and your family. Being sober is the best way to deal with life and it sounds like you're ready to do it. Try to remember to take care of yourself, too.
Anna, thank you, and of course I remember you too Thanks for the welcome message.

Taking care of myself is a trouble area for me. I know they talk about it being a disease of denial and for me that is true in more ways than one. I feel I relapsed because I was overconfident in myself and didn't want to admit I really needed anyone else's help. Even though I was sober I was still in denial that I had a problem or didn't have it altogether on my own, thanks very much.
__________________
Homer Simpson: "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"
sickofthiscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sickofthiscrap For This Useful Post:
Anna (12-04-2017), D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), Gottalife (12-03-2017), Pouncer (12-04-2017), tursiops999 (12-03-2017), Verdantia (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
ReadyAtLast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,334
Welcome back sick. Sorry you're having a difficult time. There's lots of support here.
ReadyAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReadyAtLast For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017), sickofthiscrap (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Pouncer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,200
Blog Entries: 2
Hi SOTC,

So sorry to hear your mother has cancer; it is hard seeing people you love suffer. My aunt, who just turned 80, did well when she received chemo and radiation for breast cancer a few years ago. I went through radiation as a teenager (stage 2b) and my experience was that sometimes it was harder for loved ones who felt powerless.

I think it is pretty common to have multiple “failed” attempts when getting sober. I did it over and over again. Don’t beat yourself up; you have a drive to stay sober, that constant, nagging addictive voice will dissipate the more practice you have. You also seem forthright and that honesty and self-reflection will take you far.

Best wishes to you during this difficult time.
__________________
ďThe worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.Ē

― Mark Twain
Pouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pouncer For This Useful Post:
D122y (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Hi SOTC,

So sorry to hear your mother has cancer; it is hard seeing people you love suffer. My aunt, who just turned 80, did well when she received chemo and radiation for breast cancer a few years ago. I went through radiation as a teenager (stage 2b) and my experience was that sometimes it was harder for loved ones who felt powerless.

I think it is pretty common to have multiple ďfailedĒ attempts when getting sober. I did it over and over again. Donít beat yourself up; you have a drive to stay sober, that constant, nagging addictive voice will dissipate the more practice you have. You also seem forthright and that honesty and self-reflection will take you far.

Best wishes to you during this difficult time.
Thank you Pouncer. It is encouraging to hear about your aunt and that she did well with the treatments at her age.

RE repeat attempts and relapses, I'm not sure i have it in me to stay on the merry ground long term, so I'm really wanting to make it stick this time. I have noticed this time that I am having some physical symptoms of withdrawal (sweating, insomnia) that were not so much a thing before.
__________________
Homer Simpson: "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"
sickofthiscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sickofthiscrap For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Verdantia's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: St.Petersburg, FL.
Posts: 957
Welcome back, SOTC. I am sorry that you are going through a bad time and your mother's illness. I have had numerous failed attempts at sobriety, and this is part of our horrifying disease. Each time I stopped the withdrawals got progressively worse. I kept trying though--some tiny bit of sanity left kept me desiring a sober life and with a good plan and the support and advice of the excellent people here at SR I am 19 days away from 2 years of sobriety. I never want to go back to the horror of my life before. You can do this-I know the temptation of wanting to drink to feel better, but there is nothing in this world that alcohol doesn't make infinitely worse. I wish you peace and strength on your sober journey.
Verdantia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verdantia For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (12-04-2017), Delilah1 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Delilah1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Posts: 11,716
Welcome back SOTC, and thank you for sharing such a heartfelt post.

I am sorry to hear about your mom's cancer, and glad you are going to be there for her, and being sober will allow you to be completely present. There are many resources out there for caretakers, and you may want to look into them as you navigate through your mom's treatment. Also, there are organizations who can help with transportation for people undergoing cancer treatment. Finally, don't feel like you need to put this all on you. Reach out to your son,info even if they are far, they may be able to help investigate options to assist with caretaking duties. Also, look into outside help that may be available to your mom through insurance.

Start studying for the license, it will open up many options for you in being able to help your family, and being able to go where you want.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!!!
__________________
Delilah

ďIt is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.Ē
― Ernest Hemingway

Sobriety Date: January 1, 2016
Delilah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delilah1 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (12-05-2017), sickofthiscrap (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Welcome back, SOTC. I am sorry that you are going through a bad time and your mother's illness. I have had numerous failed attempts at sobriety, and this is part of our horrifying disease. Each time I stopped the withdrawals got progressively worse. I kept trying though--some tiny bit of sanity left kept me desiring a sober life and with a good plan and the support and advice of the excellent people here at SR I am 19 days away from 2 years of sobriety. I never want to go back to the horror of my life before. You can do this-I know the temptation of wanting to drink to feel better, but there is nothing in this world that alcohol doesn't make infinitely worse. I wish you peace and strength on your sober journey.
Thank you Verdantia. Congrats on 2 years - that is fantastic.

You are so right that the withdrawals get worse. is this kindling? I'm puzzled because in my later "drinking career" I actually drank less overall than in my young and crazy days. But i do think the withdrawals have been worse this time.
__________________
Homer Simpson: "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"
sickofthiscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sickofthiscrap For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 03:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome back SOTC, and thank you for sharing such a heartfelt post.

I am sorry to hear about your mom's cancer, and glad you are going to be there for her, and being sober will allow you to be completely present. There are many resources out there for caretakers, and you may want to look into them as you navigate through your mom's treatment. Also, there are organizations who can help with transportation for people undergoing cancer treatment. Finally, don't feel like you need to put this all on you. Reach out to your son,info even if they are far, they may be able to help investigate options to assist with caretaking duties. Also, look into outside help that may be available to your mom through insurance.

Start studying for the license, it will open up many options for you in being able to help your family, and being able to go where you want.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!!!
Hi Delilah and thanks for the welcome and the tips about caretaking. I don't have a son but my brother is moving closer and will be around a bit more to help so that is fantastic. i hadn't thought of other services but it's worth looking into.
__________________
Homer Simpson: "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"
sickofthiscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sickofthiscrap For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (12-05-2017)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:40 AM.