SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Im gonna drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/419763-im-gonna-drink.html)

tonisherrell 12-03-2017 08:09 AM

Im gonna drink

These cravings wont pass thid morning.. forget it im gonna drink

ReadyAtLast 12-03-2017 08:11 AM

They will pass. Drinking won't solve anything. Google urge surfing, go to an AA meeting if thats your thing, have a bath, drink some juice, eat, clean your teeth, take a walk.

There are many other things to do. You don't have to drink or need to drink. It's a craving - you don't have to act on it. You've done the best thing posting on here.Why not stick around?

Chilledice 12-03-2017 08:12 AM

They WILL pass, they ALWAYS pass......you have to starve the beast to kill him! Reach out, go to a meeting or a walk, phone a friend. Do ANYTHING but drink!

ReadyAtLast 12-03-2017 08:14 AM

Maybe take a look in the December class too. post, read, blog, go in a chat room. SR is here to help and times like this are when you need it most

least 12-03-2017 08:17 AM

Don't drink!! The cravings will pass. Just don't drink!

ChickChick 12-03-2017 08:17 AM

I'm so sorry you want to drink. Drinking today will only prolong the cycle.
Do any of the things RAL posted. Post every minute if you need to.

doggonecarl 12-03-2017 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by tonisherrell (Post 6694747)
These cravings wont pass thid morning.. forget it im gonna drink

And then what. The cycle continues? The obsession is relieved, temporarily. You then decide to quit; the craving return. The way to end the cycle isn't with drinking, but with quitting and staying quit.

Everybody who has attained lasting sobriety has made it over the hurdle you now face. So can you. Stay strong.

Wigglyworm 12-03-2017 08:26 AM

If you feed the cravings they will just come back for more and more. Stay here and chat instead perhaps?

Chilledice 12-03-2017 08:27 AM

I'll say it again, STARVE THAT BEAST!!

Stick with us :)

AnvilheadII 12-03-2017 08:36 AM

don't do it! cravings WILL pass.....they always do. it's the only way forward. drinking will not solve one single thing.

tonisherrell 12-03-2017 08:59 AM

Im laying here thinking of all the reasons why i want to drink.. and also how i will feel if i dranked

tonisherrell 12-03-2017 08:59 AM

My AV keep telling me one drink wont hurt and that I can start again tomorrow

LoveForMe 12-03-2017 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tonisherrell (Post 6694791)
My AV keep telling me one drink wont hurt and that I can start again tomorrow

I'm feeling like this a little but I'm not going to. Let's not together?

tonisherrell 12-03-2017 09:01 AM

Ive already dranked 5 cups of coffee and smoked a ton of cigarettes.. i really want to drink but no if i do i have to start again.. thats the only thing thats stopping me right now

Wigglyworm 12-03-2017 09:03 AM

Don't know about you but 'one drink wont hurt' was always a lie when I said it to myself.

Stay strong.

LoveForMe 12-03-2017 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by tonisherrell (Post 6694793)
Ive already dranked 5 cups of coffee and smoked a ton of cigarettes.. i really want to drink but no if i do i have to start again.. thats the only thing thats stopping me right now

I'm about to have coffee too.

Day 1 sucks. It's not worth it. Hope posting is helping.😁

biminiblue 12-03-2017 09:15 AM

Coffee was not my friend in early days, it just ramped up my anxiety, spinny thoughts, intrusive thoughts, etc.

What did help was walking - long walks outdoors. Oh, and ice cream. :)

Hawkeye13 12-03-2017 09:16 AM

Why don't you go out and take a bit of exercise, or do something to distract yourself.

The craving will pass--and you're right, if you drink you're back at Day 1.
You CAN do this--hang in there!

tomsteve 12-03-2017 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tonisherrell (Post 6694790)
Im laying here thinking of all the reasons why i want to drink.. and also how i will feel if i dranked

and??
there aint no drink worthy event.

Horn95 12-03-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 6694812)
Coffee was not my friend in early days, it just ramped up my anxiety, spinny thoughts, intrusive thoughts, etc.

What did help was walking - long walks outdoors. Oh, and ice cream. :)

This. You are had enough good sense to get on here before you drank. You also have the good sense to ride this out. As others have stated, “tomorrow” means the horrible cycle starts again.

It appears to me you want to be talked out of drinking. You really do not want this.

JJ991 12-03-2017 09:28 AM

I don't do coffee, hot chocolate is my friend! Might help you too? X

ChickChick 12-03-2017 09:29 AM

Have you tried having something nutritious to eat? Maybe soak up some of that coffee.

ReadyAtLast 12-03-2017 09:47 AM

good to see you're still here and not had a drink. I'm smoking too. Not ideal and I don't normally smoke but I can't face a drink if I have a cigarette -totally puts me off drinking. If it's working for me in these first few days I'll do it. Do whatever it tales. Hope things have eased for you.

Verdantia 12-03-2017 09:48 AM

Hey, toni. Maybe try some Bvitamins, especially thiamine. Alcohol leaches them from our bodies and that causes some withdrawal symptoms. Lots of Gatorade-type drinks. Maybe something sweet like ice cream. Most of all, don't drink. Post here often and lean on everyone's hope for you to get through this.

columbus 12-03-2017 10:14 AM

Too much coffee when your nerves are already on edge is NOT a good idea!

Whatever your actual urge to drink might be, it's only increased by a perceived "need" to calm the coffee shakes!

Esp. if you haven't been eating right.

PinnacleOR 12-03-2017 10:17 AM

I’m my own experience coffee and cigs (nicotine and lack f) just made me more anxious and wanting to drink. Scroll forward in your mind, you’ll only feel temporary relief THEN FEEL WORSE. It will always be the same. Stop the cycle and do something different.

scarly 12-03-2017 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by tonisherrell (Post 6694793)

Why do you want to drink ? BTW....laying and doing nothing other than thinking about drinking is doing you no good. Get up and DO something. Go out to a Panera or Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and get a coffee. Go to a movie. Go to families house. Go to a pet shop and hold a puppy or kitten. Go to church. Go get a newspaper. Do the crossword. Go to a meeting. Go to the mall. Go see Santa. Do SOMETHING other than thinking about drinking.....it will solve nothing...and ruin EVERYTHING....

columbus 12-03-2017 11:14 AM

"Go out to a Panera or Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and get a coffee. "

DECAF!

Delizadee 12-03-2017 11:14 AM

Hey tonisherell, how are you doing?

Whatever you decide to do, try and keep SOME kind of human contact along with it.

I found fighting the battle alone and not talking it out with someone, anyone was a war I could never win. Not early on in sobriety anyways.
So I'm glad to see you here.

Me I like to stay in bed as much as possible and avoid going outdoors and just watch a ton of netflix.

Chewing gum too... not just the coffee ramped up the anxiety for me but smoking too, so I quit smoking. I don't drink as much coffee now and treat it as a delish desert.

Have you written down all the positives in your life right now? The little things that make you happy? Your bed. The sun. A houseplant. A pet. Phoning a friend. Your favorite pair of shoes. Having a roof over your head.
It's helpful to remember what we're grateful to still have and distance ourselves a little from the black hole of obsession.

DontRemember 12-03-2017 11:19 AM

Hi,Toni..What reasons do you have to drink?