SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   3 weeks and I want a beer ! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/419759-3-weeks-i-want-beer.html)

Jsymmes05 12-03-2017 07:28 AM

3 weeks and I want a beer !

Today is my 3 weeks sobriety , I have lost weight and I feel like I wanna celebrate. I’m getting urges to crack open a few beers . I know this is a bad idea but for some reason I still wanna do it . I am fighting it hard , just got paid too so that’s even harder , and to top it off , football today . I know this trigger is coming from me feeling accomplished , I always used to drink when I feel like I achieved something . I know I’ll get through today , but god it’s tough right now !

Mark1014 12-03-2017 07:47 AM

I remember my third week being a challenge too.......and it was during October college football. I went so far as to drive to the gas station for a case but ended up just sitting there watching guys come out of there with theirs. Cried like a baby too. Filling myself with protein shakes helped me so much to get through those intense cravings. Give it try. Trust me when I say the intensity, duration and frequency of the cravings will ease. It does take a little time though.

Stick around here too.

You CAN do it! :)

doggonecarl 12-03-2017 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jsymmes05 (Post 6694717)
I always used to drink when I feel like I achieved something .

Drinking mocks your achievement of 3 weeks sober. You can change the mind set that drinking is a reward. It is not. Sobriety reaps its own reward.

You want to celebrate? Buy yourself a cake.

stargazer016 12-03-2017 09:29 AM

Your Addictive Voice is always looking for a way to get you to drink once again. I agree with doggonecarl. Reward yourself with cake or my favorite, ice cream!

Well done on three weeks. It will get easier day by day. I promise.

tomsteve 12-03-2017 09:39 AM

feeling accomplished, so want to pour poison down your throat.
pretty insane thought,eh?

football used to be an EXCUSE for me,too.
now im sittin here and gonna be sober and enjoy it, which was something i had to learn how to do by doing it sober.

PinnacleOR 12-03-2017 10:20 AM

Agreed, that’s your AV (I call it Wolfie) trying to talk you into it. It is dead wrong. Tell it to f#$k off and you have me need for it anymore. You’re better than fine sober and healthy.

DontRemember 12-03-2017 12:03 PM

I was a football drinker too. I would go to the bar on a Wen night to "watch ball". Who plays on Wen? Community colleges! Hell..My living room has 5 tvs now and looks like a sports book/bar in here(minus the noise and drinks flowing). I also just had to kick my exgf and her new guy outta my business(by phone) and drinking sounds great,but it will not do me any good,sooooo I won't be doing that. I am rightfully pissed though! :headbange

DarkDays 12-03-2017 12:17 PM

I remember my first 3 weeks ��
Get into the mentality of staring at a wall for hours rather than drinking . This time will pass , you have to get to a place where you can dispatch the thoughts easily , this takes sober weeks, it will come. Drink and it’s same ole rinse and repeat begins again . I am nearly 6 years stone cold sober , yep super cool I know :) Grind it out , surf the thoughts , they come in waves. Never ever give in.

Dee74 12-03-2017 01:58 PM

Hi Jsymmes05 :)
I hope you've stayed strong - think about new traditions and new ways to celebrate.

If somethings a trigger for you and you feel you can;'t beat it, maybe you'll have to give it up short term until you're stronger? a little short term pain for long term gain?

D

AnvilheadII 12-03-2017 05:10 PM

how else might you acknowledge your accomplishment?