Notices

6 days sober

Old 12-02-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 days sober

Well, this is my first post...thought id add a little background info...been drinking heavily for 8 years, the problem has been that im only drinking beers, and only in the evenings...so i always thought everything was fine,
Id have a night everynow and again without it, but for the last 2 years ive pretty much drunk every night without fail, generally around 8 or 10 bottles of a well known spanish lager..330ml bottles...again this made me feel better as its only 4.6%alcohol.
Ive known its been a problem for a while, just over 2 years ago i did a month without beer, which proved i wasnt an alcoholic!..so i celebrated by having some beers!!!..havent stopped since...its began to really affect my life and health. I feel like its stealing opportunity and time from me, and robbing me of the person im supposed to be...anyways sorry for rambling, i realise i have a problem...its weird saying im an alcoholic, but i guess i am....6 days sober now...last night was my first friday..was a bit strange not having a cold beer...so i had couple non alcoholic beers.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem beardedheron

yeah I was a beer drinker too - still drank so much it nearly killed me....stopping was terrifying for me - I had no idea was being sober would be like...but it's turned out more than OK...I love my life and I vastly prefer being sober and happy

the support here is great - glad you found us

D
Old 12-02-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Heron, sounds like you caught yourself pretty early and well done on that. I think a lot of us have celebrated not being alcoholics by drinking even more alcohol than before. Every time I quit for a while, I re-commenced with a vengeance, making up for lost time as it were. So, yeah, beer is a four letter word and we don't need it anymore!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 9

Cheers guys.
Well today is day 9, last night was difficult, chaos in my house, 5 month old baby teething! So lots of crying, 5 year old son isnt well either!...mess everywhere and my head started to explode!...i had a few non alcholic beers, which weather right or wrong have helped me a bit. Im still sober...keep having thoughts that if i do a few more weeks, it will.be ok to have a few beers at Christmas!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bearded heron - I know it's not what you want to hear, but maybe those NA beers are actually fuelling those thoughts about Christmas?

For me the problem with NA beer not the alcohol or lack of it, but the behaviour - I would be throwing them down like regular beers, doing the things I would usually be doing with regular beers, and then wonder why I wanted a regular beer...

D
Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beardedheron.. Awesome to see you on 9 days.

I have to agree with Dee about the NA beers. They’re just too much like the real thing and the taste, smell and whole ritual of drinking them was too similar and made it harder to get rid of the habit of drinking for me. They were a cause in me relapsing last time.

Because there’s a tiny bit of alcohol in the ones I was drinking (0.5%) I drank a few and got the slightest buzz which lead me to have more beer.

They have worked for some people who stay sober though. My uncle who has been sober quite awhile would still have a few. Good luck on your journey and keep posting as much as you feel like it.