Notices

Day 1 Reaching Out

Old 12-01-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 Reaching Out

Hey All,
I've been browsing this site for a few months now without actually pulling the trigger and giving up the booze. Seems odd that I'd read a recovery forum with a drink in hand but the threads eventually worked.
I've been able to hide the extent of my issue for a long time now, but things are getting out of hand. Need to change now before everything blows up on me. Wish me luck

JVO
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

I think many folks read recovery forums with a drink in their hand at first. The first stage to change is contemplation, which we sometimes do for a long time. It takes what it takes for us to move forward and some never do in spite of everything. Glad you are moving forward. There are limitless other things we can do besides drink, but I know that drink limited all those choices. Hang in there. It is worth it.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! You might try the December support thread, too.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!
You won't regret your decision, it can be so much better.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. You will find lots of support here. I stopped drinking just before things got completely out of hand. If I kept drinking my life was going to fall apart sooner rather than later. Stay close to SR and keep posting, it really helps in the first few weeks and months.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have read and posted on SR literally while sitting at a bar with one of many double scotches in front of me. I have had several runs at sobriety, and SR has been a great source of inspiration. I am on Day 5 and felling pretty good. Good luck to you, and come on here for support.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome JVO,

Get the Alcoholics Anonymous book (aka Big book) and read chapters two and three. I researched and researched alcoholism to find out how it wasn't me. Fortunately for me, I finally surrendered that I was a true alcoholic. Since you're still not sure if you are one of us or not. I challenge you to a test. Try drinking 3 drinks, no more no less, everyday at 5:30 pm for the next 45 days. If you can do that without ever drinking more than 3 or less than 3, then a good chance you're not an alcoholic. Shoot just do it for December. Good luck and we will be here if you decide you want what we have.

Just a couple thoughts about normal drinkers:
-they never worry about drinking too much because they don't
-when asked to stop drinking, they do
-they don't think that not drinking is a missed opportunity to drink
-they never worry if they have enough booze at the house when leaving a bar
Old 12-01-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey done4today,
I've worried about all 4 of those things. It's alsways too much and it's always a struggle. I, like many of you, can take a day or two off but more and more it seems like the days I don't drink are the days I have to spend in bed from drinking too much the few days before. Time for a change. Thanks for the replies
Old 12-01-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

Hey JVO
Stay close to SR. Especially early on.

Think about when the AV and Cravings will be at work (a tough day in work, a row at home, a friday evening....) I recommend joining some regular threads and posting or reading as much as you can.

Put your plan together even just by thinking about it...
You will make it there is no doubt. I think we all eventually crack the nut !
Hopefully before things blow up

Take care.
V.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done JVO! I don’t regret getting sober at all.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would say, don't do what Done4today suggests. I would never suggest you continue to drink for 45 more days when you came here ready to be done.

Just be done. Simples.

Obviously you've read all the stuff to expect - so - Day One! (Today? Or did you already drink today?)

Regardless. Stick with the no-drinking. It's better in every way. And welcome to posting.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My name represents my perspective. I’m glad to be over seven month. No regrets. It all begins with day1. Be here, post, get smarter and stronger!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Angry starting over

i joined this site awhile back but havent been on in long long while ,i gave up drinking for a few yrs but so much has happened in my life and its hard when doing it alone n having no support ,i moved 4 yrs ago n feel lost ,like an outcast ,im sorry to say i have started drinking again , i have had so many losses n just fought out some terrible news (sexual assault/abuse)to some family members,im codependent have been off the crack cocaine for few months now ,was easier when i moved as itsnot easily available here ,i have cut down on marijuana ,i would love so much to be totally clean ,as my body is my temple ,i am alone n lost ,need help n support ,im glad to report my drinking is not out of hand as i can say no and i still have a case sitting in my room ,been there all week ,,test or temptation ,,im lost n looking for support n help
Old 12-01-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have read and posted here while drinking. SR has been indispensable in my recovery; I have received so much support and wisdom from good people who really get it. I never thought it possible but in a few weeks I will have two years of blessed sobriety, thanks to a strong plan and the help of my fellow alcoholics on this forum. I hope you stick around JVO, and I wish you all the best in your sober journey.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome JVO15 and welcome back Pray4Peace

Reading here is good, but I think there's something about posting and getting feedback that really can change lives for the better

glad to have you guys here.

D
Old 12-03-2017, 10:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I would say, don't do what Done4today suggests. I would never suggest you continue to drink for 45 more days when you came here ready to be done.

Just be done. Simples.

Obviously you've read all the stuff to expect - so - Day One! (Today? Or did you already drink today?)

Regardless. Stick with the no-drinking. It's better in every way. And welcome to posting.
Just do as Biminiblue says. Obviously their solution is the only one. Good luck
Old 12-03-2017, 11:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. This is a great site ☺