Notices

Reality sets in. . .

Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reality sets in. . .

Last night I met a couple of my friends at the Christmas market and although it's usually a fun time of year, I was constantly watching the clock until I could politely excuse myself and go home. They know that I have stopped drinking and were really supportive. I really struggled when they were ordering gluhwein and beers as I realised that I will never be able to participate again. I felt sad and just wanted to escape the cold and go home to lie on the couch and watch tv! I wasn't tempted to drink but realised that a lot of the time I drank in the past was out of boredom. I stood there in -4 degrees, unable to feel my feet, wondering what the hell I was doing there! Previously I would never had thought about it as of course, I'd be 'getting drunk.'
Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks misscostalot
Old 11-30-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi misscostalot.

You've got a long journey to go yet - this is not the end

I found that eventually, I can go anywhere and do anything, or be with people doing anything, and be OK.

I don't feel like a third wheel and I have a good time.

I do tend to go home when things get rowdy, but I never really liked that part of the evening anyway.

In the early days you may find you feel out of place and deprived...but that will pass - long term, if you're doing it right, recovery should never feel like a loss

D
Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too drank often out of boredom. I was primarily a home drinker, so going out to lunch/dinner with friends isn't much of a trigger. It's good that your friends are supportive; I have been blessed with that as well. Keep it up !
Old 12-01-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well 'reality' for me is not drinking beer till I throw up then drinking more. It's actually SLEEPING instead of passing out drunk, waking up 3 hours later exhausted, and having to go to work in that state. It's losing 26 lb and being in better shape than I have been in 10 years, my goal is better than in 20 years. It's not worrying about a DUI. It's breakfast instead of vomiting. I could go on but I think you'll get the point.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah yes, I understand. I spent a bit of time thinking like that, feeling I wasn't me anymore & how things would be so different. I'm 9 weeks in now & gradually focusing less on such things, just trying to take a day at a time & planning fun, sober things.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Misscostalot, I'm glad you got through the evening. Dee is right. In time, it won't seem strange or difficult to be in a situation like that.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

But cold wet Christmas markets really just aren't that fun sober.

They really just aren't that fun, period, but the booze made them seem that way.

For me.

Some people love them.

I am just cold and wet.

Drunk or sober.

Hang in there.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Neither are huge drink isles in supermarkets which is where I was today buying alcohol as Christmas presents for the normal people in my family . I won,t go into the product names but they are not the usual brands but fancier more expensive since it's Christmas . I think this shopping expedition was a bad idea for me as all that happened was I got a massive poor me . I did not crave but I did romanticize which is not good .
I wish i,d went to the perfume/aftershave section instead !!! lesson learned .