Notices

“Go Against the Grain” Weekender, Nov. 30-Dec. 4, 2017

Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Those scones do look very enticing, VMan!

Welcome SportsFan!

Thank you for the vote of confidence, gang!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Boy those scones look good, I think there would be quite an attrition rate if I was nearby.

Christmas decs have gone up at Saoutchik Towers.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

The Christmas Closet at BixbeeVilla has been disgorged. Last year, all the boxes sat out...and sat out...until I just shoved it all back in the closet and shut the door. Christmas still came and went, even sans decorations. Hope to do better this year.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Yummy. -- Did you have a scone this morning Sao ?

One of the things I miss here in France. In ireland its definitely a SCONE as in a cone with an S.

Must look up the recipe and have a go at it.
Why not today, never a better time !!
Wow; those scones look amazing, Vman!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

ty so much bim. I feel so tight with my little October group. The posting has fallen off quite a bit in recent days and I wondered last night how active it might be in a few months. I so want them (and me) to make it. I do need the support and want to give it back in return. The activity has been a lifesaver at times for my situation (DUI) and the continuing aftermath. I feel lucky to get in on such a good-hearted monthly group. I will check out that thread you suggested and continue coming in here. I'm just so glad to be home away from the public on the weekends now so no big AV problems but I am sure they will creep in at some point.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

oh and the scones look yummy vman. My favorite past time now seems to be eating. I plan to start baking at some point in the future - for now I'm just scarfing down sugary junk food, but I'll take that for now - at least I'm not drinking.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I thought of you guys on my way home from work today....speaking of Christmas decorations....can't remember who said it but someone here doesn't like the inflatable characters on the front lawns because they're all deflated during the day and "look like they're hungover" ~ I passed by one of those houses earlier
Old 12-02-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Morning everyone, congratulations on two years Verdantia.

I hope your toes are OK now Mish.

Bim - how do you pronounce the word scone in the US? In London it mostly rhymes with cone but in other parts of Britain it rhymes with con. I am not sure if there is a right or wrong answer.
My toes are much better now thanks Sao. It was five years ago. I have long toes so the two that broke and were at right angles to the other ones. Didn't feel a thing tho...so very drunk when it happened.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Those scones are making me hungry Vman
They look yummy.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:59 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, I hope you still have some scones left Vman.

Here is another "scone" that was also a hot potato once.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_Scone

Cloudy and overcast here but not as cold as it has been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20171203_075928.jpg (30.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

do you live on a boat Sao?
Old 12-03-2017, 01:00 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Mr

Good morning all.
Im stuffed from scones... lovely and real easy to make. That's an interesting article Sao. Enjoyed the read and the gaélic references.

Baking could become a new tool in my toolbox.

I have to bring my daughter to a santa do at work this afternoon. Im dreading it but doing it.
Have a good sunday
Old 12-03-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Mr

Very quiet here today
Our tree and Marley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20171203_141218.jpg (32.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-03-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Good morning everyone. I love your tree vman. I looked for the little one I thought I had yesterday and I guess it may have gotten thrown away. No matter. Christmas is upon us and I'm struggling with so many other things right now to worry about decorating (I never really did in past years anyway). But there is always next year and a Christmas I am committed to being sober for. So thanks for the pic vman
I'm up drinking coffee with caramel creamer.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Lovely tree, V. I put one up for the first time in years last year...but mine is tiny and sits on top a cabinet. I have cats. (Only two, don't get any ideas.)

Soul, I spent a lot of time on this site for the first few months. I had quite a bit of emotional, physical and spiritual healing to do. This thread became my home base. I miss some of the members who have left, but I know they are out livin' life. I know some of them went back (or never quit) drinking, too. It's kind of hard to know for sure on the internet.

Maybe they'll check in over the holidays. *hint*

For me, nothing but gratitude every single day that I am still quit.

This morning I'll listen to my Sunday Bible study, and I wish you all peace.

MidnightBlue, where are you????
Old 12-03-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Morning everyone, I hope you still have some scones left Vman.

Here is another "scone" that was also a hot potato once.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_Scone

Cloudy and overcast here but not as cold as it has been.
Interesting history. Equal to the crown jewels of Scotland now eh? (alot of fuss over a rock....)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Today is the day our treee should go up. Last year I was the only one that decorated, daughter and son wern't interested in helping. Think I'll leave it up to them if this year. tree / no tree = gifts / no gifts.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Many years ago I decided to get a fake xmas tree at the local dept store after new year. A deal 300 off. So last year, after realizing I am sweeping up needles from a fake tree two years in a row, I decided to put it in the yard for the birds - the evergreen of evergreens! I said I was done with putting up a tree. Until a couple weeks ago when the missus said she wants a tree... I waited for the 'black friday' sales and went to the local places. Still more than I am willing to spend - for a good one. Then "we" decided on a 'real' tree. I said, we'll get one from the fire company - it helps them out. Except, the fire company wants 20 bucks more than others around here. A good cause is a good cause, but when the wallet is thin one must make these decisions based on different criteria. Now I figure her false "we don't need a tree anymore" will be a continual maybe next year we won't 'need' a tree. In the five year plan, considering gas and labor and cost of tree, a fake tree is back on the table. It could be a wash after 5 or 6 years - but real tree prices are liable to go up too so it should be a win.
I keep thinking that the longer I wait, I can get one after Christmas for half-price for next year's Christmas. And she really wants a New Year tree anyway... Still considering Festivus!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Yeah, I stopped buying real trees when they started costing $50.

Nice to see you, LB.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hello SR friends!

What is the difference between scones and tea biscuits. Sorry, I am Canadian and don't know.

My trailer of booze and I made it safely through the weekend. I have a terrible headache this morning and slept late. I did two events back to back and my AV was whispering early in the evening. It was funny, I hired bar staff and the one guy was kinda a dink at first and then we were talking and I said, I don't drink. He did a 360 awesome after that over the top nice to me.

Hubby and I got home on the wee hours of the morning and the kids stayed sleeping he is so proud of me. At first he didn't realize this is a forever thing.

Anyways gotta unload and return trailer, spend a couple hours with my horses, I got three new ones thus week and then tacos and nachos and tree decorating tonight.

Good sober morning to all. My soup bowl mug of coffee is almost done and Advil is starting to work. Time to get to work lol.