Notices

Cravings

Old 11-29-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings

I’m in need of some support. Cravings hit me starting around day 4. How did you get past them, and when did you find them lessening?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm only 10 days in...but for me I reminded myself of my main goal....healing my fatty liver and becoming healthy again. In the back of my mind, if I drink, I am putting my life in danger.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RUL23 View Post
I'm only 10 days in...but for me I reminded myself of my main goal....healing my fatty liver and becoming healthy again. In the back of my mind, if I drink, I am putting my life in danger.
Hi Rul, do you have cravings every day?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

How long sober, Linners?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
How long sober, Linners?
Today is day 1, again. Not an every day drinker but a binge drinker. My pattern is going til day 4 (5 days was the longest I’ve gone) and then the cravings start and man, they are intense at times. That’s when I give in, and it feels like such a battle. Will it always feel this hard?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would start by going to meetings or a support group. Also anything to take your mind off it, I know it's hard. Do something challenging like a big hike or clean your house (assuming it looks like mine lol) or something that takes a lot of time and concentration to keep your mind off that devil sauce.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The obsession to drink is intense in early recovery. It has to be suffered through. Everyone who has any significant sober time has gone through it. So can you. Like Judicator says, it helps to be busy. If you can distract yourself from the cravings, they pass.

You know what makes cravings worse? Giving in to them. Then your addiction figures out you will cave under pressure and the Addictive Voice become relentless. Stay strong.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’ve been really hesitant to go to meetings but decided that tomorrow I’m going to try one. I have the list pulled up on my phone, so I just have to pick one. I’ve been saying I’m going to go for a couple months now, but I just need to pluck up my courage and try this. I feel terrified, but I need the support so I'm willing to take the first step.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's always scary the first time, but once you go you'll be glad you did. I actually enjoy going to AA meetings now of all things lol.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted Linners

There are some great ideas here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

It might feel like the cravings will never end unless you drink - but they will. It's a little short term discomfort for long term gain.

You can do this Linners.
Any ideas on what else you might do differently this time?

D
Old 11-29-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I found some clips on youtube earlier about dealing with cravings so that I understand them better--what they are, how they work, what causes them etc. The science behind the whole mess really. I'm going to watch them when I feel like that again, I can just play them on my phone to help me before I drive home from work so I don't just get taken by the whole thing and drive to the liquor store. Having that reminder that they will eventually stop is going to be important.

I also bought a journal last week. I used to journal all the time and haven't in many years, but I think it's going to be good to get my feelings all out on paper the way I used to. I wrote several pages in it today, and it was like once I started I couldn't stop.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cravings are almost inevitable, and certainly not any fun. The key is to recognize they are just cravings and you don't need to act upon them. Early on I committed myself to doing anything but drink. Read, workout, go to bed early, cook food, etc...anything.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Approaching Night Four again. I made it to Night Eight and crashed on Thanksgiving day and then the following Friday and Saturday.

For me, it's worse when there are various "triggers" around (I hate the term since it's used way too much, but in this case, it's the best word I've got).

If I'm home in the evening and nothing's going on, I drink decaf tea, keep busy, and then go to bed. Pretty much easy-peasy.

Weekends are hard because the AV says "It's the weekend. Relax with a few drinks."

I was scheduled for the next day for a second interview for a job I really wanted and it was with the company's CEO. My wife had made spaghetti sauce and left an open bottle of wine in the pantry. She was out. I was alone and I was stressed. The AV was working on my really hard and I was begging God to get it off my back.

Somehow, I managed to get busy doing something, time passed, then it was time to go to bed...and I didn't give in and have a drink. I was going nuts for a while but then it was okay.

Oh, I met with the CEO and he offered me the job.

Not to say I won't screw up a day or a week from now, and the AV is always in the back of my mind, but it helps to watch those situations that really set you off and try to, if not avoid them, manage them in some respect.

I'm a total newbie at this, but it helps me to observe myself and see where my strengths and weaknesses lie.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by oldwriter View Post
the AV says "It's the weekend. Relax with a few drinks."
In 3 decades my AV hasn't told me one true thing.

I stopped taking advice from a known liar and my life got a lot better. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Easier said than done, but of course you know that. Don't worry. I'm sober tonight, bored but sober.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Linners,

I found coming here and reading and posting was a great way to pass a craving in the beginning. Here are a few great links on SR:

December Class 2017
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ad-pt-1-a.html

Link about Recovery Plans
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

24 Hour Thread
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-321-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 321)

What is a Recovery Plan
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

Holiday Survival Guide
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
Today is day 1, again. Not an every day drinker but a binge drinker. My pattern is going til day 4 (5 days was the longest I’ve gone) and then the cravings start and man, they are intense at times. That’s when I give in, and it feels like such a battle. Will it always feel this hard?
No, I promise the number and intensity of cravings lessens over time.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldwriter View Post
Approaching Night Four again. I made it to Night Eight and crashed on Thanksgiving day and then the following Friday and Saturday.

For me, it's worse when there are various "triggers" around (I hate the term since it's used way too much, but in this case, it's the best word I've got).

If I'm home in the evening and nothing's going on, I drink decaf tea, keep busy, and then go to bed. Pretty much easy-peasy.

Weekends are hard because the AV says "It's the weekend. Relax with a few drinks."

I was scheduled for the next day for a second interview for a job I really wanted and it was with the company's CEO. My wife had made spaghetti sauce and left an open bottle of wine in the pantry. She was out. I was alone and I was stressed. The AV was working on my really hard and I was begging God to get it off my back.

Somehow, I managed to get busy doing something, time passed, then it was time to go to bed...and I didn't give in and have a drink. I was going nuts for a while but then it was okay.

Oh, I met with the CEO and he offered me the job.

Not to say I won't screw up a day or a week from now, and the AV is always in the back of my mind, but it helps to watch those situations that really set you off and try to, if not avoid them, manage them in some respect.

I'm a total newbie at this, but it helps me to observe myself and see where my strengths and weaknesses lie.
That is a wonderful positive outcome! Congratulations!! Sobriety will bring you many more.