Notices

Hit My First AA Meeting Tonight....

Old 11-27-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hit My First AA Meeting Tonight....

Gotta say, I really liked it. I was put on the spot a bit, however, which I did not expect. The chairman of the meeting asked if there were any newcomers, and apparently I was the only one. He then directed people to share their experiences and direct their comments toward me. So that was a bit uncomfortable at first. But I quickly settled in and enjoyed hearing people's stories.

Above all, folks were very welcoming, and very warm. It was a pretty diverse group. I will definitely be returning to a meeting tomorrow. May not be the same group though, as the AA's in my part of town have limited meetings. For example, the place I went to tonight has their meetings on Monday nights only. And other venues in the area hot other nights.

In any event, it was a great experience, and I am pretty excited about getting rolling. This place is great. But the in-person meeting is like this place came to life. And everyone was so positive, just like here, but in person. And hearing how people had their battles but found a way to win them, well, it was inspiring. I will be definitely be working AA and hanging out here.

Thanks everyone for their support.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad it went well, Horn.
AA can be a tremendous support.
Good luck. Good thoughts.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the same experience with AA!

I'm so glad to hear you benefited from AA! I immediately liked my first meetings as well. It's been a turning point for me and you described it perfectly; it's like an online group come to life. I really need that to not feel so alone and ashamed.

On the other hand, I DID NOT LIKE one of the AA meetings I went to and am so grateful it was not my first because I probably wouldn't go back. I hate it for folks that have a bad first experience. I've heard it's best to try several times to find the right meeting.

I'm glad it went so well for ya.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

That's good news, Horn!

AA and SoberRecovery are a winning combination.

It works if you work it!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Even though "Forced into AA", I found out that I liked it and like you said; I found the F2F very helpful.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is wonderful and you described it very well.
I'm so happy you had a good experience. Keep going back!
Old 11-28-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just woke up. Feel good about Lohr meeting. I am going back today! On to my last day 2!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done Horn.

No doubt you'll see a few faces you recognise at the meetings in the other locations from the first one. (It's much easier to travel sober lol).

BB
Old 11-28-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Many groups will ask if there is anyone attending AA for the very first time. This is done in an effort to carry the message - what it was like, what happened and what it's like now in a general way. I am glad your experience was a good one, keep coming back.

For those who want to attend a meeting, it should be noted that you never have to identify unless you desire to do so and many do not. This is just a courtesy extended to welcome newcomers - if they so choose.

Good for you on going, Horn
Old 11-28-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are there any newcomers is a standard question that frequently results in a lot of sharing that is directed to or at least FEELS directed to the newcomer. That’s a little uncomfortable but also by design because everyone’s been in that seat and wants to be of help to that newcomer in some way..... wants to share in ways that might speak to that person to help them in their desire to stop drinking. I’m glad you were able to settle in and listen despite a Little discomfort!
Old 11-28-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done Horn,
If you think you have a problem with alcohol, I encourage you to keep going.
AA along with SR and a addictions counselor has changed my life in a short period of time. My home group's sole focus is on the new comer and at the beginning of our meeting we have one person speak on step 1 and the importance of sponsorship.
I hope you keep going
Old 11-28-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hats View Post
Well done Horn,
If you think you have a problem with alcohol, I encourage you to keep going.
AA along with SR and a addictions counselor has changed my life in a short period of time. My home group's sole focus is on the new comer and at the beginning of our meeting we have one person speak on step 1 and the importance of sponsorship.
I hope you keep going
Thanks! Yep, I definitely have a problem with alcohol. About this time last year— and for months before that, I was drinking the equivalent of 3 bottles of wine a day. Started drinking no later than 10 am. Shakes and nausea would start no later than 8 am. I was a mess.

I went into detox the day after Christmas 2016. Was in for about 5 days. Since then I have had numerous releases. I thought I could do it myself. I was so wrong.

I recently decided I was going to try AA. I need treatment, but with my schedule I cannot take offf a month to do inpatient, or even outpatient. Plus, that’s expensive. And I read on here that a lot of folks did well with it. So. Here I am!

I’m into my newest Day 2. Lots of anxiety, and some tremors. Very hard to write, but nothing terrible. I am ready to turn a new page in my life.