Notices

Back again

Old 11-25-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

I made it 17 days in October. Then thought I’d be able to moderate. I’m right back where I started. I haven’t worked up the gumption to re-commit to being sober. It sucks. I have to remember why my life will be better without it.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Duplicate, sorry.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I hope you find it in you to commit to sobriety. Life really is better!
Old 11-25-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The sooner you decide to start again the easier it will be Julia - the longer you leave it....it just gets harder to stop,.

D
Old 11-25-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yay! Welcome back! I’ve been back so many times. All I can say is that I know what’s back there and it’s nothing new.
The only hope and exciting **** I’ve ever had has been in sobriety. For this minute I’m just doing what’s in front of me. No need for solemn promises. Just go to where the love is.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avra View Post
Welcome back. I hope you find it in you to commit to sobriety. Life really is better!
Thank you. I hope I can too. I’m disappointed in myself.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Yay! Welcome back! I’ve been back so many times. All I can say is that I know what’s back there and it’s nothing new.
The only hope and exciting **** I’ve ever had has been in sobriety. For this minute I’m just doing what’s in front of me. No need for solemn promises. Just go to where the love is.
Thank you! It’s good to have this forum.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The sooner you decide to start again the easier it will be Julia - the longer you leave it....it just gets harder to stop,.

D
Day one tomorrow. I’ll be checking in. Thanks for being here.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We will be here! 24/7.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juliaclare20 View Post
I haven’t worked up the gumption to re-commit to being sober.
Why not?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Why not?
I guess I have to deal with my self then. How long has it been for you?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it’s that it’s too much to think about quitting for good. When I was trying the sober October thing it seemed attainable, but I didn’t even last the full month. I don’t know how I’m going to do this.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

All of us live our lives one day at a time, but when we look back it's forever....recovery can be like that too.

Just focus on a day at a time, recommit to recovery every morning, make a good action plan & you'll be surprised how many days you can string together.

D
Old 11-26-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
All of us live our lives one day at a time, but when we look back it's forever....recovery can be like that too.

Just focus on a day at a time, recommit to recovery every morning, make a good action plan & you'll be surprised how many days you can string together.

D
Okay, day one. Laundry. Maybe go for a ski or walk. Meditate. Told my brother I’d stop by for a beer but it’ll have to be a cup of tea. Maybe I’ll clean my car today.

Do any of you feel like you may be addicted to watching tv/ Netflix? I found when I quit in October all I felt like I could do was zone out to Netflix. I didn’t used to ever watch tv, but now it seems like it’s all I want to do.

Thank you Dee for your supportive words. I’m really hoping I can get through this and quit hurting myself.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drank a shot of vodka and one Angry Orchard on Thanksgiving at my son's house and then unfortunately listened to the AV in my head on the way home from work on Friday and bought some vodka. Drank Friday night and last night and that's it.

Climbing back on the wagon. I made it eight nights before. Going to see how long a streak I can make this time (hopefully forever, but let's take it one night at a time first).
Old 11-26-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I made a list of all of the ways my life would get better not drinking, then compared that to the "benefits" of drinking (there really aren't any, except for that brief reprieve). When I do this, there's no comparison. Why postpone joy? 30 days sober today, and it's amazing.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that when you decide alcohol is no longer an option, ever, life will become easier. You can do this, and watching a lot of tv in early recovery is fine if it helps you get through the early days. But, it's also good to remember to exercise some way to keep yourself moving and, then to try new things sometimes.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldwriter View Post
Drank a shot of vodka and one Angry Orchard on Thanksgiving at my son's house and then unfortunately listened to the AV in my head on the way home from work on Friday and bought some vodka. Drank Friday night and last night and that's it.

Climbing back on the wagon. I made it eight nights before. Going to see how long a streak I can make this time (hopefully forever, but let's take it one night at a time first).
We’re in this together oldwriter! I know we can do it. I’ve never been real excited about the idea of AA or other counseling services, but I might call around tomorrow. I don’t want to continue failing.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm 9 weeks in. When I quit I didn't actually tell myself it would be forever. But I came to the realisation pretty quickly that going back to it wasn't a good plan, I'd only end up back where I was or, more likely, even worse.

Start with one day at a time and see how you get on.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
I made a list of all of the ways my life would get better not drinking, then compared that to the "benefits" of drinking (there really aren't any, except for that brief reprieve). When I do this, there's no comparison. Why postpone joy? 30 days sober today, and it's amazing.
One of the reasons why SR is so helpful to me is all the hope you feel from those ahead in recovery. I’ve always known that my life would probably be easier without booze, but somehow it’s hard to make the leap. One thing that dawned on me a couple of years ago is that in ten years, if I were to quit, it’s highly unlikely that I’ll look back on those ten years with regret, feeling as though life could have been so much better if I’d got drunk every night. Just need to keep the right perspective I guess.