SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   When I realized I had a problem... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/419417-when-i-realized-i-had-problem.html)

LoveForMe 11-25-2017 09:53 AM

When I realized I had a problem...

Was when I was first hospitalized for withdrawals at age 28. But now that I am sober I can look back and remember my first days of drinking when I was 15. I blacked out most of the time! How did I ever think this was normal?!
Probably because all if my friends were alcoholics too. But then why did I feel so alone when I knew it was time to stop? Because alcohol isn't a problem until it is. Which is a lie. I hate it and it's conniving ways. No one ever explained to me how dangerous it is. No one gets how bad it is until it has done it's damage one way or another. At least that's how I feel.

Had to vent. Thanks for listening😁
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

D122y 11-25-2017 10:16 AM

Kate,

Totally agree.

The thing most folks don't get, until way late, is the physical and mental addiction.

Some get too far gone and can't ever pull out. Insanity and death from drinking result.

This 2 pronged issue starts out as feeling like booze is an elixir from the gods. Eventually, quitting drinking is so painful that folks keep going not realizing they are heavily addicted.

Until I came to this site, after 80 days clean, I was unaware of all of the physical and mental issues directly. I was freaking out so badly. I couldn't believe I felt so bad after 80 days clean. It was physical weakness and mental suffering.

I was strong enough to get by, but my strength was generally weak for a man of my size and weight. I had little endurance. Since quitting everything has improved dramatically.

Knowing about the issues and wanting to quit is half the battle. The rest boils down to suffering long enough that the suffering become bearable, then normal, then disappears. What is left is sober life being relearned.

That is where I am today.

Thanks.

LoveForMe 11-25-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by D122y (Post 6685666)

The thing most folks don't get, until way late, is the physical and mental addiction.

Some get too far gone and can't ever pull out. Insanity and death from drinking result.

This 2 pronged issue starts out as feeling like booze is an elixir from the gods. Eventually, quitting drinking is so painful that folks keep going not realizing they are heavily addicted.

I used to say that I was mentally dependant but not physically. What the heck? Like that would be any better or different, or okay? Man, if I only knew then what I know now.

Also, I'm thankful for SR because I strongly believe you guys are the reason I have made it my longest alcohol free stretch of 174 days. 120 days longer than my own record😁