Notices

New member 2 weeks sober :)

Old 11-25-2017, 01:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member 2 weeks sober :)

Hello lovely people. I've just joined the forum and thought I would say hello.

I'm 2 weeks sober from drugs and alcohol. Cocaine and booze were my usual go to, but I've had a period in the past severely addicted to cannabis. I didn't drink everyday, but I have never had a healthy relationship with alcohol and I felt it starting to get the better of me. More cravings and longer sessions followed by brutal shame and anxiety. I'm sure a lot of you can relate.

Mental health was a big part of my decision to live sober. I've struggled with depression, anxiety and panic attacks for many years. I'd be lying if I said a lot of those experiences weren't self induced through drug and alcohol use. I want to be a successful, confident and authentic person and I stand a greater chance of acheiving this in sobriety.

Right now I'm finding the early stages difficult. I'm keeping busy and getting healthy, but my mind is still entertaining the idea of returning. My social circles involve drink and drugs and that always comforted my anxiety. At the moment I'm keeping to myself until I feel more confident. I want to move forward and build new bridges, but the illusion of comfort in my past habits appears reassuring.

I know change is an option for all of us. Hopefully this forum will offer some support in this lonely journey and I can offer some of my own support and insight along the way. I'm in need of some new friendships formed from positivity and growth, and not just around getting ****** up.

Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone on their journey.

S
Old 11-25-2017, 01:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Crumb - good to have you join us

The support here really helped me stay committed, and to make the lifestyle changes I needed to make.

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D

D
Old 11-25-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Crumb,
Two weeks is fantastic! Hang in there. It will get easier. Slowly but surely, it will. And you will feel better mentally and physically. I think you will begin to find the drugs & alcohol didn't comfort you but instead numbed you to life. As you rid your system of it, I think you will find that you will be more able to cope, more relaxed, and happier. Every day you will continue to feel better. The really sobering thought I had during this process is how long I kept improving mentally & physically. Just goes to show you the harm this stuff does to our bodies.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR! I hope you are feeling better after 2 weeks of sobriety! Stay strong especially if your social circle involves drugs and drinking. That will be a major test of your committment to remain sober. Stay with us! Together we are strong!
Old 11-25-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support

I'm looking forward to some positive mental changes. I'm finding it hard to concentrate at the moment so I hope that improves. Maybe it is part of the healing process.

I plan to avoid socializing in those groups in the early phases. I don't want to lose friends, but I'm prepared to if it isn't compatible with the changes, which is sad but necessary I guess. I hope those friendships were more than just drinking.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time mate, you sound pretty clued on.

I would suggest to get a hobby if you havnt got one. i can relate to a lot
of what you wrote, it can be hard to distract your mind.

Youre doing well mate keep it up.